A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Brock Crocodile - Mega Drive/Genesis inspired platform adventure

Aki-at

Hi SFGHQ, been a long time since I last posted here (Crikey 2007 was it?) use to be a regular here prior to that. Thought I'd share my original project here with you all

BtfPuHTIQAArOIS.png
Website - Twitter

Trailer :

Project Overview: Introducing Brock Crocodile! A platform adventure starring a 30 year old red crocodile that draws heavy inspiration from 16 bit platfromers like Monster World, Sonic the Hedgehog and Quackshot. The game is a single player experience that aims to deliver a mix between fast paced platforming, exploration and simple run and gun/combat gameplay. I've been working on Brock Crocodile since 2009 but have started full development and looking to speed on finishing the title. The game is being developed using Multimedia Fusion 2 and I'm aiming for a release sometime in 2015.

CrocohLake_zpsee72fadb.png
The first town area, Crocoh Lake.

Gameplay:
The gameplay in Brock Crocodile is split between the two towns the player can visit to purchase powerups and the levels Brock must complete to progress the story. The game is designed in a linear fashion but the players can always revisit the stages to find secrets they overlooked or collect gems for money. In the stages, Brock will be able to use his whip to take out baddies and use it to swing across pitfalls or interact with the background. If you prefer long distance combat, no problem! Brock comes packed with a fruitgun too, which can either dish out one of your five a day or take down some goons.

ShootGif_zps3e62246f.gifGameplay2_zpsf2fb9bbb.gif

The Levels:
The game is set on the continent sized Crocodillian Island where Brock will venture from the local mountains to a bustling metropolis before venturing into the badlands in the east. The aesthetics for the stages take strong inspiration from classic SEGA platformers both in art direction (Blue skies!) and level design. Each stage will hold a new gimmick and baddie for Brock to tackle. Sometimes you'll find you might be able to blast through them whilst other levels will require more patience if you want to overcome the obstacles in your way. Above all else though, I want to make highly replayable levels filled with multiple routes and secrets for the player to discover.

Level 1: Gazadiaz Ruins
GazadiazRuins_zpsa10f7454.png

Description: The adventure begins in the Gazadiaz Ruins. Known for it's world famous spinning bridges and lavish mushrooms, the player must navigate past the ancient ruins and face off against the leader of the Turtle Gang to find out what's going on. An easy task for Brock but he should be on the watch out, whilst the stage is straight forward he may find one or two surprises if he looks hard enough.

Level 2: Beehive Battleship
BeehiveBattleship_zps99b4e952.png

Description: The player must venture deep within the battleship and take on an army of bees. Full of flying hoops, transportation tubes and walljump on honey covered walls, the player must be as quick as they are cautious if they want to get an audience with the leader of the beehive, Princess Cassandra. [Please note the stage has been updated, now with a better ship background!]

The Villains
TheVilliansDeux_zpsd7bcf64c.png

Every good mascot game needs the baddies to back it up and I'm hoping I won't be an exception in this case! I'm designing each level to have it's own unique baddies, they'll be little reoccuring foot soldiers from stage to stage as the player will be taking on turtles, bees, tigers and all manner of fearsome individuals in boss battles of all shapes and sizes!

The Music:
The tunes in Brock Crocodile are going to be, at the very least, based off of the Mega Drive/Genesis soundchip and you go already listen to the first level's track in the trailer. We've got three talented musicians onboard;

Steve Lakawicz (Produced the trailer music/first song track) - https://soundcloud.com/ap0c
Matthew Martin - https://soundcloud.com/guitarmatt21
Nishant Pawar - http://meteorsound.com/

Progress
- The base engine is 100%, just fine tuning it for optimal platforming speed and physics!
- Currently the first 6 stages have their layouts completed of a possible 20/21 stages.
- The first 2 stages are being polished and a demo will be released soon, watch this space!
- The first town layout is complete and the shop system is finished, work needs to be done on the (basic) dialogue system and some NPC sprites.

I'll keep this updated as time goes on, glad to make everyone's acquaintance!

• Like 6

Thanks for all the kind words people, means a lot to me knowing the project is getting some interest ^^

I'll be sticking around again on these forums, SFGHQ use to be one of the very first message boards I came too and glad to see this old place still being quite active!

That looks so awesome, I posted the video on the main site.

Thanks a lot for that man! Massively apperciated any sort of exsposure I can get with this.