A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What qualifies as a "Sonic song"?

Alright, a little context first.

Yesterday, when I headed to my 1st period (Which was Intermediate Band), I was still listening to my music. One of my friend-girls wanted to listen what I was listening to. I gave her one of my earbuds, and after immediately thought of "Sonic," even though I did not say what song it was.

Those songs were Acts 1 and 3 of Cyan City for Sonic: After the Sequel.

Tea with Ellie (Act 1):

Espresso with Bayonetta (Act 3):

Shout out to the people who made the game, the music, and those awesome names for the music. Anyways, I asked how did my friend-girl knew about how these songs were from Sonic, and she said "It just sounded like a Sonic song."

So my question is this: What qualifies as a "Sonic song"? More specifically, what would emulate the certain "Feel" when playing a Sonic game? Is it the instruments, or the atmosphere that the Sonic series always seem to have?

Edited by AnOrdinarySonicFan
  • Like 1

I think a "sonic song" has to have a fast pace. Around 130 to 190 bpm, i'm not sure. But they usually consist of real instruments with electronic filters and small blips and bloops. Cyan City 1 has that electronic buildup and drop at the beginning. The middle has that arp. The second loop has an electronic drum that slowly builds up into a dnb style beat.

But for act 2? (I'm not really sure if you're talking about act 2 or 3 since you mixed it up a bit, so I'll get into that later)

I think a "sonic song" has to have a fast pace. Around 130 to 190 bpm, i'm not sure. But they usually consist of real instruments with electronic filters and small blips and bloops. Cyan City 1 has that electronic buildup and drop at the beginning. The middle has that arp. The second loop has an electronic drum that slowly builds up into a dnb style beat.

But for act 2? (I'm not really sure if you're talking about act 2 or 3 since you mixed it up a bit, so I'll get into that later)

Whoops. I'll edit that in. It IS act 3. My bad.