A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Feedback & Bug Findings

Stritix

• 6 months later...

The Sonic Amateur Games Expo is upon us, and the registration date deadline was two days ago. The staff have sent out booth page information to the participants, and people are getting super busy working on their games for the event. I'd say that would be why people aren't posting as much.

Well at this point, if you haven't registered, you'll have to wait until the next one. We've expanded to art and music booths rather than games in this recent year, so you don't HAVE to make a game, it's just that the meat of the event is in the games.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I just wanted to start a topic that could be a general forum recommendation thread but not only that one that discusses current forum events and what we think of the changes and so on...

If there is already a topic pertaining to this I'd more than be glad if this one was locked.

So to start things off I'd like to discuss, well obviously, the current changes. No liking post and no status updates. Now while these may not belong on a forum and are more suited to social media something feels off now that it's gone. Of course, it wasn't there before when things first got started up but I think that it was a fine and comfortable part here. Now with chat being moved to the main site and the Skype group being disbanded, I thought it was a really good way to say in contact and ask questions that don't need there own topic and such. It also allowed for fun little things and stuff. Now it was bad when people would directly send out harmful comments to others but all in all I think it really worked. 

As for the like system, it was okay. It did cause people to stray away from actually leaving feedback but when people don't reply it was still a good way to show people did indeed like what they saw. Because I don't think not having it encourages much more posting either. This one is debatable though so I know that it's a 50/50 of it's actual usefulness but again. to me, it helped people see that there was a following of their projects even if people did have the time or just didn't want to leave a reply.

Now, I could be wrong and they're just maintaining the forum and all this stuff will come back but just in case.

Topic merged with the feedback thread~

Thanks for the feedback. The problem with these social elements is that they tend to decrease posting activity on the forums. We have a general discussion board which has the same purpose as status updates, but the general discussion board has low activity because of the status updates. We found having both of these to be redundant so we decided to remove the status updates and go with just the general discussion board. We decided to remove the likes feature as we have found them to decrease posting activity; e.g. a  user will simply hit "like" instead of posting their thoughts. Our goal is to take the board in being more forums based rather than social media based, however we will consider bringing back these social media elements if there's enough support for them.

Well, the like system is more akin to a rep system like the one we had in the HQ.

Then again, we did get rid of rep in the final year of the HQ since it was broken. I'd prefer a regular rep system, but the like system wasn't that bad. It does have that ugly facebook aftertaste, though. Rep systems allowed negative rep too, and it was more global instead of being constrained to posts.

As for status updates, screw them. They're a twitter wannabe thing that tends to work as a filler. I'm more of a shoutbox fan myself, maybe we can get something like that later on.

In the end, this is a byproduct of facebook and other crappy social media sites becoming the norm. Few years ago nobody would've expected a forum to have user blogs, but hey - vB introduced them as a separate module just like IPB.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering, where did the Overture thread go?

Topic merged with the feedback thread~

Thanks for the feedback. The problem with these social elements is that they tend to decrease posting activity on the forums. We have a general discussion board which has the same purpose as status updates, but the general discussion board has low activity because of the status updates. We found having both of these to be redundant so we decided to remove the status updates and go with just the general discussion board. We decided to remove the likes feature as we have found them to decrease posting activity; e.g. a  user will simply hit "like" instead of posting their thoughts. Our goal is to take the board in being more forums based rather than social media based, however we will consider bringing back these social media elements if there's enough support for them.

The like and update systems were fine, there was no need to remove them.

If having updates is redundant, then can we make a thread about how we had spaghetti this afternoon or what game should we purchase? How about a thread talking about how much we like a song?

The Like system was great because you can show your support by simply clicking a button. It's better than a bunch of posts portraying the same "looks good" kind of message, which at the end, really ends up as messages making a thread larger than it should be and making important posts farther away from each other with repetitive messages between them. A like was more efficient and if someone wants to make a more elaborate response to something, they will and it has been shown multiple times. (e.g. Overture, Spark TEY, screenshots thread, etc.)

In short, I don't like this. Doesn't seem like a good change.

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 1

The like and update systems were fine, there was no need to remove them.

If having updates is redundant, then can we make a thread about how we had spaghetti this afternoon or what game should we purchase? How about a thread talking about how much we like a song?

The Like system was great because you can show your support by simply clicking a button. It's better than a bunch of posts portraying the same "looks good" kind of message, which at the end, really ends up as messages making a thread larger than it should be and making important posts farther away from each other with repetitive messages between them. A like was more efficient and if someone wants to make a more elaborate response to something, they will and it has been shown multiple times. (e.g. Overture, Spark TEY, screenshots thread, etc.)

In short, I don't like this. Doesn't seem like a good change.

Pretty much fully agree. I get why it was taken out but I don't think it was necessary.

Okay, let's tackle the status update thing a little bit.

They were redundant. The fact that they're called 'Status Updates' is because it just rips off Facebook. For a real 'status text' (as in the kind used back on MSN or AIM), there's the member subtitle. Feel free to put your current mood or whatnot in there.

Jassbec, if you want to make a thread of what you ate today, or a thread about game recommendations... By all means, do so. That's what making threads in a forum is all about. Songs you like? Step it up a notch and make it an 'Artists/Songs/Albums you like' thread. Forums managed just fine without these 'status update' things a couple years ago. Should the need arise, new subcategories for threads can be made.

Another important aspect is that the status updates are volatile and quickly drop down as new ones come up. Threads stay in their respective forums and are searchable and taggable. They are much more manageable.

Lastly, the updates thing becomes chaotic if not controlled. I wasn't even able to fully see whatever shit came up since it was deleted before I could even be back online. We've had our fair share of useless spammy posts in the statuses, and that bumps up the notification counter up to the sky. All for a bunch of text that needs to be managed individually, and is not archived unlike regular posts.

I understand you might be frustrated, but believe me - I was too. It was really annoying to come in and see chaos brought up because something happened in the statuses, and when I asked what was it, I only got 'it was already deleted' as a response. No traces remain, so I wasn't even able to get the full picture of the happenings.

It's a nightmare for the ones who have to keep an eye on.

Staff has concluded that they had to go, and that will remain as is for the time being.

---------------------------------

That's what I have to say regarding updates. As for likes - as I previously mentioned, back on SFGHQ we got rid of the system because it was broken.

Personally I don't mind the likes system, but I'd prefer it to be like old 'Rep' style where +/- values are possible (Likes are just a positive value - once again another FB ripoff).

If I find an implementation that works rep style and make it work, I'll see what I can do about it.

Lastly, the updates thing becomes chaotic if not controlled. I wasn't even able to fully see whatever shit came up since it was deleted before I could even be back online.

'it was already deleted' as a response. No traces remain, so I wasn't even able to get the full picture of the happenings.

Figured.

Well, those chaotic situations wouldn't have happened if the staff had handled the issue that happened not long ago better, I'm pretty sure it DID have something to do with it or at least heavily influenced the decision as it they got removed right after the site was up again.

But whatever, that's just what I think of it, more from an user's point of view.

Jassbec, if you want to make a thread of what you ate today, or a thread about game recommendations... By all means, do so.

That doesn't sound like a good idea, lol.

Also

Edited by Jassbec

That situation wasn't the only one. Out of all the situations that happened in statuses, I was able to fully get the picture of... none. There are no tools to ease status management.

I'm sure it influenced the decision, of course. Regardless, I was seeing it coming because it wasn't just me who was fed up with the status system.

As for the thread, sorry - I skimmed over that initial part of your post before. And... I can't find it. Doesn't pop up anywhere. Hitting your sig link or the bookmark I had on it only ends up with an error.

That situation wasn't the only one. Out of all the situations that happened in statuses, I was able to fully get the picture of... none. There are no tools to ease status management.

I'm sure it influenced the decision, of course. Regardless, I was seeing it coming because it wasn't just me who was fed up with the status system.

As for the thread, sorry - I skimmed over that initial part of your post before. And... I can't find it. Doesn't pop up anywhere. Hitting your sig link or the bookmark I had on it only ends up with an error.

Well, things go out of control for a reason, keep that in mind.

And yes, I'm aware it doesn't show up, that's why I'm asking. There's no reason as to why it shouldn't pop up, that's what's making me concerned. It got deleted/hidden when the issue was going on (for some stupid reason), then went up again when the site was up. And now it's not there, it's been like that for over a week. I did edit the OP to write the announcement that Overture was leaving the site, I don't know if that has to do anything with it, but if it does, I did not request the thread to be deleted nor hidden and I should have been asked first.

EDIT: I really hope it was just an error with the system.

Edited by Jassbec

Pretty much. If we staff could read deleted statuses it would be easier to manage, but that's not the case. Delete, and it's gone - this does not help moderating at all. This is why statuses caused me and the others a lot of problems because it wasn't just members who saw a bunch of statuses suddenly implode - it was the same for our side.

I'll be checking around other subforums and my bookmarks for other lost threads. I remember that after the offline period, some things broke or reverted in my side. My WIP themes are safe, though - phew.

If I remember correctly, the statuses were being deleted as a certain topic being talked about was being avoided by staff. If it doesn't help moderating, then why delete them in the first place?

I liked statuses, they were cool.

Edited by Jassbec

Because leaving the status in there would only make things worse, I guess. One of the cases I can remember was a spamfest - leaving it in there only increased the likewise spammy replies.

The status system is interesting, albeit flawed IMO due to the lack of archival. and it's just another FB ripoff

Maybe IPB4 has a better system for it, we'll see.

Because leaving the status in there would only make things worse, I guess. One of the cases I can remember was a spamfest - leaving it in there only increased the likewise spammy replies.

The status system is interesting, albeit flawed IMO due to the lack of archival. and it's just another FB ripoff

Maybe IPB4 has a better system for it, we'll see.

I guess the spamfest was more like a riot against the staff, where they were mostly all guilty about it since they weren't saying anything but removing updates and posts, which in exchange only made people angrier and made them spam more,etc.

But I mean, if those issues with the staff didn't happen in the first place, I doubt there wouldn't really a problem with statuses in that regard. It would be fantastic if there was another kind of status system that archives stuff, everybody would win, lol.

Also, I dislike facebook much like anyone else here really, but borrowing some elements from it isn't so much of a bad thing.

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 1