A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

(Sonic World Runner) 3D Level designers and/or design advisors needed!

Azookara

So, yes. Sonic World Runner. That SonicGDK-based Sonic fangame that gets a mention once every couple of months!

We've made a significant amount of progress in getting our work organized and polished up, and we currently have basically the minimum of what's needed on a team to make a game happen: two programmers, two modelers, and three artists.

While finding an extra programmer or modeler for the team would be swell (REALLY swell), our biggest focus right now is finding a level designer.

I and one or two other members of the team have been giving our own hands at level design, but without someone who has their head screwed on just right for the job, we're kind of running mad without that one final screw needed to make this machine run.

I have made a lot of pictures of stage setpieces, myself...

4aa0e69e4f537ede2596483e921e9f5c.png

c195ac261a0745a643cc2e13668678b0.png

2f971cb283b51ffe7ba7ba10b79281f7.png

39bbd655813100c42b0b2afa966a13ec.png50d2e13a8bc0dbbd7bebd6528713a2ad.png

..My strong suit is more towards the 'art design' part of the project. I'm not exactly having the easiest time making level layouts, is what I mean! 

So what our team is needing more than anything is a level designer that can make layouts on par with Sonic Adventure, or similar to Sonic Robo Blast 2 at least. If you're not experienced in that, yet are experienced with making good-quality 2D Sonic level design and want to experiment with 3D space, we'd possibly be interested in that too. And even if you don't want to do anything too hands-on, we could alternatively use an advisor that can help give ideas for the way the level layouts should be handled and point us in the right direction.

This may all be a shot in the dark asking for any sort of support like this, but we seriously need it. We're getting really close to finally getting parts of this game out the door (and it's only taken multiple team reorganizations and project reboots)! So yeah, if anyone's willing then hit me up, and we'll figure out where to go from there.

Edited by Azookara
  • Like 1

I can't help you myself, but I can share what I've learned.

My views on level design changed SO radically after I got my character physics in Unity working better.  Excepting the case of high-traction characters like Mighty, my Sonic now has very, very predictable limits.  I can now calculate exactly how tall a wall Sonic can run up before he loses all momentum; even turning around to run back down will not build enough momentum to overcome this limit.  If the player does try this, the speed loss will always halt Sonic at the same height.

This predictability makes it much easier to design ramps, pipes, obstacles and such.  If you can understand the maths behind SonicGDK's physics and make such predictions, you can design better levels.  Start by a vague concept of scene set pieces, merely in terms of their general geometry.  Spagonia's clock tower and city wall, for example.  Then think of how you want the character to interact with those larger set pieces.  Do you want Sonic to run up the side, use it like a tunnel or building, or perhaps travel around it?  Perhaps multiple options?  From there, think of set pieces which make sense that could provide this functionality.

Like Spagonia's rooftops and streets, leading from interesting setpiece to setpiece, with those pieces being interesting to traverse in themselves.  If you have predictability, you can know exactly how to place the parts that lead between these zones.

Edited by Nemox
  • Like 1

If you would like I could look over or advise any designs you guys come up with. I've got a pretty good understanding of sonic level design, and SLA proves that. I'm too swamped to actually design anything for you but I can offer my help in that way. Gimme a ring if you're interested.

By designing levels, do you expect us to be good at modelling or just sketching out and elaborating?

I've had my fair share of level designing experience with 2D (Overture for example) and I've made some 3D level design too.

I've been looking forward to your project for a long time but unfortunately, I'm too busy but I'd still love to advise where I can.

Really hope you find the best person for this and that it /finally/ happens. 

We need someone to sketch the level layouts out and decide how they should go, building stage progression, etc. Occasionally placing set pieces me or one of the artists builds together and blending them into a bigger layout. We're not looking for someone to model out the level design, we just need someone who can build a layout on paper so we can translate it to 3D. Sorry for not specifying enough on that.

Also, thanks for the offers, guys. It means a lot. If we need your aid for advising the layouts anytime soon, I'll be sure to message one of you up.

Edited by Azookara
  • Like 1