A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Worlds 1.4.3 Newbie questions

Espurr

-Sorry for the cheesy title-

So I started to use Sonic Worlds some time ago and I've encountered some problems. I'm pretty sure this is really basic stuff, but anyways...

First, what do I have to do to pass to another stage? Every time I pass the test level and I have another stage added, the game returns to the character/stage select screen (BTW, I'm using SW Delta 1.4.3), and the test level is the only stage available (the other slots remain as 'blank zone').

Second, how do I make the stage cleared sign work? I know that 0 is for the sign, 1 is for the capsule, and 2 is for no goal, but what do I have to do to the Goal Maker to make the signpost work? I know the Goal Maker is a pretty important object, since deleting it causes the engine to go nuts, but as you may have already noticed, I'm pretty new about this Sonic Worlds stuff, and I don't really know what do I have to change here. 

Thanks!

By the way, sorry if my english is choppy.

It worked! Thanks a bunch (again)!

And one last thing... what do I do for the music to start playing? I followed LakeFeperd's guide on how to add music, and the files I added were .ogg's, but they didn't play at all. In fact, there was no music on the engine, which I find weird since on another version I tried (I think it was 1.2) there was music. By the way, I didn't change the loop things, and I set the music on channel 32. 

Edited by Espurr

I followed LakeFeperd's guide on how to add music

Gonna politely stop you there. Lake's guide is for a very old, very buggy version of Worlds. Music is a bit different in Delta.

First, in the Events, go to Interface and post-processing methods -> [ME] Music Engine -> [ME] Cache. This is where we actually add the music to play. You'll notice that there are loops, and the loop name ends with a number. That number is the song ID. To add a new ID, go to the properties of the project itself, to the Values tab (where you can add and edit global values). Scroll all the way down to the bottom, to the Global Strings. Add a new String with the name you want to give your song ID (like Music_GreenHill) and set the string to the next number in the series. Now, in the event editor, duplicate one of the events in the Cache and edit it to have the new song ID in the loop name, and the new music track and its looping information. Finally, to use your song, look at the actions of the events in Level-specific methods -> BGM Triggers to see how to utilize it. (Do note that there is a reason these events are set to only fire once: it's to prevent the song from playing multiple times at once.)

Oh by the way, OGGs don't have to be embedded into the .MFA, they can be loaded externally.

• Like 1

Gonna politely stop you there. Lake's guide is for a very old, very buggy version of Worlds. Music is a bit different in Delta.

I suggest all the developers of 1.4.3 to make a brand-new guide or manual, even if it takes a load of time.

Yes, you can learn stuff by yourself using the event list editor comments, but it's just a suggestion.

Don't worry, I'm making a guide. It will come out sometime after the release of the next version of sonic worlds.

Great to hear that. But aren't you suffering from info overload? LOL

It's because users like me a s***load of topics.

Make sure to take care of each detail: for example "how to make a boss with infinite Xscroll/Yscroll"; "add powerups"; "add boost and boss health gauges"; lots of etcetera.

Great to hear that. But aren't you suffering from info overload? LOL

It's because users like me a s***load of topics.

Make sure to take care of each detail: for example "how to make a boss with infinite Xscroll/Yscroll"; "add powerups"; "add boost and boss health gauges"; lots of etcetera.

Suffering from info overload? Wat.

"how to make a boss with infinite Xscroll/Yscroll": No. There is already enough info on this. Just make a treadmill and make auto moving parallax. Done.

"add powerups": Depends on what you mean...

"add boost": Maybe the next update just might feature... Nevermind.

boss health gauges": This is incredibly simple. When you make a boss, it should have internal health anyways, so just make a counter with the horizontal bar property, and set it to the HP of your boss.

The guide will feature plenty of info...
Edited by Mr. Potatobadger

This is an incredibly horrible way to make it look like the player is "moving" but okay.

No not really. Just as long as you make it a non-solid object that only gets activated when the boss starts moving, it should appropriately emulate having an infinite autoscroll. Because otherwise, you have to deal with level length and repositioning and a lot of other messy things. Creative solutions are usually the best!

I go for a little while and all this happens. Wow. 

Anyway, I think I got the string thing right. Beyond that point, however, I'm doing something wrong. 

So I "duplicated" (copy/paste'd) the "On loop "play_music.X"" and "Play sample file" (and obviously added the file I want to play) added my  events, but I added the Loop_End/Start things manually. What I don't get here is what should be done to change the loop's number. Yeah, the engine says that it's handled automatically, but is it really normal for the loop info. to stay on 0? Because the only track that remains like that is the Invincibility theme, while all of the other tracks have a random number.
Oh, and on BGM Triggers, I only changed the "Write string "play_music(+musicname-)"" thing. Nothing else.

The loop number setup is a little tricky. Turn on the debug counters; to do this go into the events to the Debug -> Debug Variables group, right click the group itself and click Edit, then make sure "Active when frame starts" is checked off.

Now when you run the frame, you'll see some extra information. Second counter from the top is the current music position. This is the counter you want to make a note of. When the music reaches the point when you want the looped segment to start, pause the game and write down this number. Now, unpause. When the music gets to the end of the looped segment (that is, the very moment it's supposed to loop back), pause again and write down that number.

Those are the Loop_Start and Loop_End values, or close enough approximations. Fill them in and play. If it sounds a bit off, you can go back and modify the numbers until you get it juuust right.

If you enter in zeroes, the track won't loop and will just play once from the start of the file to the end of the file.

• Like 1

Great, that'll come in handy. The problem is that I still can't get the music to play. I have some trouble explaining myself in english (after all, it isn't my first language), so I decided to make an image.

Thanks.

uyW09Bz.png

Edited by Espurr

Might want to look at the other events in BGM Triggers. Look here:

QYnDHMN.png

These events are resetting the music to the specified track. And since the player starts with SuperForm = 0, it's going to reset to the specified track. So you need to edit these events as well, so they reset to your new BGM.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I changed those values and I still can't get the music to play. I thought that I messed some things up on the current Multimedia Fusion 2 file I was working with, which was very altered, so I tried with a fresh file, but it didn't work. Is this because of the way I add the .ogg files? If that would be the case, then how can I "load them externally"? 

Oh, and I think I already mentioned this, but the 1.4.3 file I downloaded didn't have music. No Level theme, no Boss theme, just SFX.

Edited by Espurr