A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Rush - A bit underrated?

JiyakoZen

Here's something I wrote on my Facebook awhile back, I thought I'd share it with you guys:

---

As I may have said before, the greatest Sonic game I've ever played is Sonic CD. It's one of the games I grew up with (owned a copy of the old PC version), I've played the port on the GCN (Sonic Gems Collection) and beat the game, and I still continue to play it every so often on my smartphone.

However, I was never a true retro Sonic fan. Soon after I first got into Sonic, I'd played Sonic 2, 3K, CD, 3D Blast, and the Game Gear titles (this was approx. 2002-2003); however, I didn't find many of them as addicting as the Advance or the Adventure series. I'm not sure what it was...gameplay mechanics, graphic style? I dunno. The game I played the most around this time was Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the GCN. Eventually, I discovered two comes after one (lawl) and acquired a copy of Sonic Adventure DX for the GCN (I had no idea what a Dreamcast was either).

As I got further into the modern games, I found the Advance series to be the most enjoyable in terms of two-dimensional gameplay style. However, this all changed in 2005.

Sonic Rush, SEGA's first Sonic title for the Nintendo DS, came out in like what, winter 2005? I was into other things at the time, so I didn't pay that much attention to it. Eventually though, it was time for me to stop using my brother's DS and get my own, and that happened Christmas of 2006. I got my first DS, and it was a DS Lite. One of the games I got with it from ol' St. Nick (I believe in American capitalism, folks ;)) was this gem of a DS game, Sonic Rush!

My opinion of the Advance games changed immediately when I got my hands on Rush. Rush was different from other Sonic games, but I loved it and played the absolute shit out of it. Here are some reasons why:

• *ahem*SOUNDTRACK*ahem
• It takes the gameplay from the Advance games and changes some aspects, but also adds more interesting gimmicks. It almost introduced something entirely different.
• A female character who plays very decently! Blaze is really easy to maneuver and I had a lot of fun playing as a new character.
• Great difficulty balance. Some parts of the game just breeze by you without interference, but others require great focus and you can get a great sense of relief and accomplishment when you finish a difficult task/level/etc.
• Voices were...I dunno. I was ten, I didn't give two shits about low-budget entertainment companies.

So yeah...In general, the Sonic Advance series had some of the best work from SEGA and Sonic Team...But Rush just took those best works and increased the awesomeness by a bit . Honestly, Sonic Rush may be a really great game, and the ones after it were too...But they could have done so much more. Ported multi-platform games like Unleashed and 06, added more characters, I would've been fine with that. Sonic Colors for the DS was waaaaay too short, in my honest opinion. They kinda BS'd everything towards the end. Made the levels too short as well.

Sadly though, the days of polygonal graphics on a double-screen handheld have ended, and there is no man, no woman, no thing on earth that can replicate such talent and dedication to create such games...

---

What do you think? I saw Rush as the "new Sonic" SEGA had intended for Sonic 2006. One thing I noticed in the past is the old "UGUGUGHH SHIT 4KIDS VOICES BLEEHHH," comment on Rush, but I truly think it deserves better. There's something called volume, you can always turn it off :P.

• Like 1

I also like sonic rush but I enjoy its sequel better (sonic rush adventure) that game added so much more, and I played allot of that game. I was young when I got both sonic rush and sonic rush adventure at the same time, and adventure at least told you how to do all the moves as sonic. when I was young I got stuck on the sky level (I cannot remember the name) and that drew me off the game. but a few years went by and I played it again and had less problems with the level. the reason why people say that is probably because the classic feeling of games is becoming to constant and too easy. I still like the sonic rush games though.

I also like sonic rush but I enjoy its sequel better (sonic rush adventure) that game added so much more, and I played allot of that game. I was young when I got both sonic rush and sonic rush adventure at the same time, and adventure at least told you how to do all the moves as sonic. when I was young I got stuck on the sky level (I cannot remember the name) and that drew me off the game. but a few years went by and I played it again and had less problems with the level. the reason why people say that is probably because the classic feeling of games is becoming to constant and too easy. I still like the sonic rush games though.

Rush Adventure was good too...but my biggest gripe with it was the difficulty jump between the first two special stages. I just could not beat Johnny or whatever the hell his name was after the first emerald. I'd be near the end of the race with him right behind me, then he'd be like "AHHH!" and slam right into me; I remember it not being avoidable :P.

Classic games are enough difficulty for me. I've never really beaten a classic Sonic game. I think I just got tired of the same level designs, sprites, gameplay style used in the first five games. Sonic CD was unique in those senses though.

Excuse me, best Rush song coming right here

If I could, I'd embed it on this thread's html

While SRA is fun as well, I prefer Rush because of no padding and dat Naganuma music. Nakagawa did well with SRA's music, but it doesn't surpass the power of Naganuma. After all, he's the one that can UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF LOVE.

No argument here  :cool: .

Sonic Rush is probably my favorite 2D sonic game. 

I hear Rush Adventure was pretty good too, and it looks good. But I couldnt stomach the ridiculous amount of padding in the game added so it could have a storyline, so I never got past the first real stage.

Yeah, Rush Adventure didn't really indulge me as much. Riding on the water was an interesting gimmick, but everything else was a bit boring.

Colors, more like Close to Nothing. They really could have utilized more of what they had like they did for Rush. Might as well be one of the shortest Sonic platformers I've played. Never had a chance to play it on the Wii though.

That reminds me, I still didn't try Colors on the DS. I've read that it's worth playing, and the music sounds very good too.

Wii version is amazing, though.

Yeah, it's worth trying. Might not be anywhere near as great as the Wii version though. The music's pretty much the same, just taken down a few bits by the crinkly DS audio output :P.

Edited by JiyakoZen

Ditto. How's that kickstarter 'Hover' project going, by the way? I heard Hideki joined them.

I enjoy both Rush games almost equally but I prefer the original because hideki-fucking-naganuma. Seriously, that guy's a fantastic musician.

That gentleman should be doing so much more :(.

Dimps making sonic advance, understandable, Dimps making sonic rush, also understandable, Dimps making sonic 4, now your just being stupid. in games like sonic rush and advance you can see why. But for a sonic game trying to recreate the classics i wouldn't ask Dimps to make it, the reason why is because Dimps rely too much on boost pads and sonic 4 is more like a video than a game.

• Like 1

I have to dissagree with you, fahyda, Dimps can make a good classic styled game, take a look at Advance 1, it's pretty much Sonic 4 how it should've been. If you want more classic, take a look at Pocket Adventure for NeoGeo Pocket Color...

I don't think Rush is underrated. While it is the best of the Sonic NintendoDS games (followed by Colors and then, last, Rush Adventure), I'd call it "uncredited". It introduced the boost and the (working) 2D homing attack, something which every game after Unleashed used. For me it is similar to the OVA: good but forgotten...

• Like 1

I have to dissagree with you, fahyda, Dimps can make a good classic styled game, take a look at Advance 1, it's pretty much Sonic 4 how it should've been. If you want more classic, take a look at Pocket Adventure for NeoGeo Pocket Color...

sonic pocket adventure is kinda a rip off of the classic sonic games (sonic 2 and 3). Another thing i would like to say is, the first sonic advance felt a bit slower and I DON'T want to play as Amy! Also sonic 4 had NO reason to RIP OFF the other classic sonic games. If I wanted to play GHZ I would play sonic 1.

I like Sonic Advance more than any of the genesis titles, and Amy was a very well designed character addition, being entirely ability based with no spindash, roll or spin attack upon jumping. Dimps is credited as a developer for some of the most well-designed titles in more than just the Sonic franchise. Both Rush games were well received, and Sonic Advance was basically Sonic 3 with a new button for abilities. 

You don't know what you're talking about when you bash them for how shitty Sonic 4 is, especially when Sonic Team has been pumping out trashcan quality 2D and 3D sonic games for years.

Sonic Advance practically IS sonic 4, being the last game that plays exactly like a genesis title, but adds abilities and characters like 2, 3 and S&K did.   

• Like 2

Sonic Rush was nothing more than the Advanced series with less interesting enemies (oh, hey, Sonic Heroes called and it wants its horribly shit pawns, wizards, and hammer dudes back) and a soundtrack that sounds like a bunch of squeaky farts and squeals that a lot of people like for some crazy reason.

I think it was way overrated when it first came around and now people pretty much see it for what it is.

Sonic Rush Adventure is supposed to be better I guess, but I got irritated by that one early on due to how annoying the special stages were and didn't finish it, so I don't have much of an opinion on it.

Dimps making sonic advance, understandable, Dimps making sonic rush, also understandable, Dimps making sonic 4, now your just being stupid. in games like sonic rush and advance you can see why. But for a sonic game trying to recreate the classics i wouldn't ask Dimps to make it, the reason why is because Dimps rely too much on boost pads and sonic 4 is more like a video than a game.

I don't think Rush is underrated. While it is the best of the Sonic NintendoDS games (followed by Colors and then, last, Rush Adventure), I'd call it "uncredited". It introduced the boost and the (working) 2D homing attack, something which every game after Unleashed used. For me it is similar to the OVA: good but forgotten...

sonic pocket adventure is kinda a rip off of the classic sonic games (sonic 2 and 3). Another thing i would like to say is, the first sonic advance felt a bit slower and I DON'T want to play as Amy! Also sonic 4 had NO reason to RIP OFF the other classic sonic games. If I wanted to play GHZ I would play sonic 1.

I like Sonic Advance more than any of the genesis titles, and Amy was a very well designed character addition, being entirely ability based with no spindash, roll or spin attack upon jumping. Dimps is credited as a developer for some of the most well-designed titles in more than just the Sonic franchise. Both Rush games were well received, and Sonic Advance was basically Sonic 3 with a new button for abilities. 

You don't know what you're talking about when you bash them for how shitty Sonic 4 is, especially when Sonic Team has been pumping out trashcan quality 2D and 3D sonic games for years.

Sonic Advance practically IS sonic 4, being the last game that plays exactly like a genesis title, but adds abilities and characters like 2, 3 and S&K did.   

Sonic Rush was nothing more than the Advanced series with less interesting enemies (oh, hey, Sonic Heroes called and it wants its horribly shit pawns, wizards, and hammer dudes back) and a soundtrack that sounds like a bunch of squeaky farts and squeals that a lot of people like for some crazy reason.

I think it was way overrated when it first came around and now people pretty much see it for what it is.

Sonic Rush Adventure is supposed to be better I guess, but I got irritated by that one early on due to how annoying the special stages were and didn't finish it, so I don't have much of an opinion on it.

A bunch of different opinions here, which is good ^^. I'm more talking about the public reputation that Sonic Rush has to this day. I think it's definitely not credited enough as a game that introduced a new way to play Sonic games. The Hedgehog Engine was certainly a reinterpretation of the engine used in the DS titles. However, it was a high-grossing (dunno if I should use that word talking about video games and such :P) DS title soon after its release. I remember seeing it in every DS section of Targets, Wal-Marts, Best Buys, etc.

Edited by JiyakoZen

well hey, your opinions are boo boo

Sonic Rush is in the middle to me. It's not as good as the Genesis trilogy, but it's certainty better than most other Sonic games. The music is awesome (I agree with Jassbec, Naganuma is great) and the gameplay is serviceable. My only gripes with it are the cheap deaths and how useless rolling is. I also don't like how its physics would eventually plague Sonic 4 either. Other than that, it's alright.

how else is anyone supposed to enjoy sonic these days

By making good Sonic games. Where do you think you are?

That or reading the comics.

Edited by Duplex
  • Like 1