A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Swap to CF 2.5: worth it or not?

I have noticed in a post on a Facebook group I joined (related to CF 2.5 and MMF2) that there is currently a discount on buying Fusion 2.5.

Since the only purpose, for me, to use programs like these in order to use the Sonic Worlds Engine and build Sonic fangames, do you think it's worth it to swap from Multimedia Fusion 2 to Fusion 2.5?

What changes are implemented? Can Worlds work on CF 2.5? Does editing work almost the same way (events lists, frames...)?

Because just $40 is already an EXCELLENT deal for a Developer version of a Clickteam's program...

i suppose the discount works if you have a valid serial code for the old version.

CF2.5 introduces several things, but some are not important (such as theming). Things that stand out for me are:

• Embedded extension manager (finally!)
  • New movement types
  • No more unicode / non-unicode / HWA / non-HWA division. It's one version for all, multilanguage and HWA included.
  • No more 32767 frame limit (good for those hugeass Sonic zones)
  • Expression editor has been reworked and works a lot better
  • For each action/conditions (finally no extension needed for this!)
...and other miscellaneous things.

The program is still the same. You'll get used to it right away because there are only small GUI changes. And yes, Worlds works on it.

• Like 1

i suppose the discount works if you have a valid serial code for the old version.

This might be one reason for the discounting, but a member said it also applies for people who want to actually buy it for the first time and there's a specific process to obtain the discount (I'm awaiting message from him).

About the rest, I think I might take this new program into consideration. Reccomendable to make hub worlds à-la-Generations or open-world zones à-la-Chrono Adventure.

Now I just want to know if shipping is expensive for "Rest of World"...

Guest Mr Lange

There's no limit on the amount of actives either, which caused us a lot of problems working on Overture. The limit to level size and object count forced us to scale back our levels, and they're not even very big.

CF2.5 also has a lot of little UI improvements that make the workflow easier, and as GSF said, no more scattered versions causing compatibility problems.

Worlds works completely, in fact it works in an ideal way because CF2.5 being an idealized MMF2 eliminates all the random problems that occur when building Worlds with different versions of MMF2. We made Overture in MMF2 but I built it with CF2.5 because it results in a perfect build. Above all that, CF2.5 is what they're going to be working on from now on, MMF2 is dead and buried, so by getting it you're also getting any improvements they make to it over time.

• Like 1

Clickteam Fusion 2.5 is a vast improvement over MMF2, I'd say swap.

The Steam version has a benefit of workshop support and using Steamworks DRM rather than Clickteam's, but that's about it. Either version is pretty good.

CF2.5 introduces several things, but some are not important (such as theming)

I dunno. Themeing is really good for those programmers who don't want their eyes strained working late at night and prefer using a dark theme. :P

• Like 1

@Daniel: I agree. Dark themes are so much better.

Uh, Reventador... CF2.5 is a digital release. You get a serial number via mail and DL it from the CT site. This means you don't have to worry about shipping! Although it also means you don't get a nifty box that you can ogle at...

I dunno about that promotion you're talking about, but it sounds pretty neat. As Lange said, CF's improvements GREATLY help with Worlds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For some weird reason I actually managed to get a VERY SPECIFIC cracked version of MMF2 Developer where installing extensions and manipulating Worlds Delta 1.4.3AP ACTUALLY WORKS!

Despite having to lose all HWA stuff and deal with the level size limiter, along with some other things, I'm still fine with that...

Links shall remain silent to follow the forum's ToS and to protect the integrity of the engine.

Don't worry, all my games will be freeware fangaming.

• 2 weeks later...

There will almost certainly come a time when an updated Worlds (either Delta or a fork of Delta) will be released that requires CF2.5 just because there are a lot of potential performance gains to be made by switching to CF2.5's way of handling for each loops as opposed to the method that was originally used in MMF2 (something involving spread values and nested for loops...)

I'd highly recommend jumping on while it's cheap.

There will almost certainly come a time when an updated Worlds (either Delta or a fork of Delta) will be released that requires CF2.5 just because there are a lot of potential performance gains to be made by switching to CF2.5's way of handling for each loops as opposed to the method that was originally used in MMF2 (something involving spread values and nested for loops...)

I'd highly recommend jumping on while it's cheap.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll post a question, later, on General Discussion regarding of choosing a laptop, but I'll take the CF's deal still.

• 3 weeks later...

Uh, Reventador... CF2.5 is a digital release. You get a serial number via mail and DL it from the CT site. This means you don't have to worry about shipping! Although it also means you don't get a nifty box that you can ogle at...

You CAN get a physical boxed version. Just make sure to select the proper option while on Clickteam's store. You can't get a boxed version if you go for it on Steam, and you have to pay S&H to get the discs. IIRC, you can also opt to get both digital and physical, meaning you'll get your serial in an email with the installer download link, and get a physical copy with the exact same serial in the mail, so you can start working immediately.