A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The Oh-so-Wonderful New 3DS discussion!

Over the years, many of us got to see the likes of the Nintendo 3DS. For the first couple of months, it became one of Nintendo's biggest flops alongside the Virtual Boy (Remember that piece of garbage?). Then massive sparks of innovative games easily made the 3DS the go-to handheld when it comes to games.

Immediately 1 year (and a few months) after the launch of the original 3DS, was the launch of the 3DS XL. There's not much to discuss about this one, seeing as the only thing to discuss is the larger battery size, memory size, and bigger screens.

Sometime down the road, while Nintendo is rolling in the cash gained from the games for the 3DS, they rolled out with the 2DS: The kid-friendly alternative to the 3DS. It's not fold-able, doesn't have 3D, and all at a cheaper price. It can be considered the Kid of the 3DS family.

All of that comes down to today. During one of Japan's Nintendo Directs today, they were discussing about new info about certain stuff. One of the info was that Shulk is going to be playable in Smash 4.

screen-1.jpg

Shulk: Ey, guys! Didn't expect to see me, did you? What? You did? Oh.

And then they unveiled the newest member to the 3DS family: The New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL!

new_nintendo_3ds_reg.0.png

The New 3DS and New 3DS XL has a C-Stick (Reminiscent of the Gamecube's C-Stick), 2 second shoulder buttons (Also like the z button acting as a second shoulder button on the Gamecube Controller!), and best of all, has colorful buttons (ALSO like the Gamecube controller!) Satoru Iwata stated that this New 3DSes would support better CPUS so that existing games and future games would perform better. Also, it would sport games that would be exclusively on the New 3DS, and one of the exclusives is a port of Xenoblade Chronicles. Both models would release on October of this year in Japan.

So tell me guys, what are your thoughts on this new (No pun intended, I swear) piece of hardware? I am honestly curious. Since many people had opinions on the Status Update section, I figured this needed a proper Forum Topic!

Edited by AnOrdinarySonicFan
  • Like 2

Meh..kinda not impressed so far, is something that nintendo always does, and i think he does a little too much for his handheld consoles and little too less for his home-consoles, i mean they release way more cooler games for the handhelds than the home consoles, and i think that is a little stupid, because the WiiU can do 10 times more than the 3DS but they like to show that his handheld is way more cool than the actual console, and that bugs me a lot.

But as well they have a lot of trash games fro the 3DS like those pesky strategic RPG, man only the japaneses likes to be like 3 or 4 hours with one map moving characters like a chess game and then doing nothing when you go to the actual battle, those games make me sick really, i mean there are games like Starfox and Kid Ikarus Rising or even the Smash Bros for 3DS that are 100 time better than those cheesy games, but they keep doing those.....okay okay i know that people also like those games so i will stop with the ranting here.

In short, is an "okay" handheld like the Vita but i dont think its to be jumping all over the place, im more a hardcore player and a console one than a handheld one, also i can't take the 3D mode more than 2 or 3 hours without having a headache.

Edited by Gear_The_Hedgehog
  • Like 1

I've said it in the status updates, and I'm saying it again here - Nintendo is really pulling an Apple here (and dare I say it they have been for a long time). I get that it is normal for companies to release new versions of their consoles/handhelds at some point down the line but the frequency at which Nintendo does it has really started to turn me off from ever wanting to buy a console from them right off the bat. They do it a lot more than their competition. Not to mention the fact that their consoles tend to be a really slow burn for games unless you are really invested in their first party titles, which do almost nothing for someone like me aside from the occasional Zelda game and maybe Pokemon here and there.

I am also particularly wary of the fact that they are offering this half-assed upgrade of a 3DS that promises more power etc and eventually will only have games that it can play. It's not a full fledged system successor but they're sure trying to almost treat it like that, but if we all remember the abysmal start the 3DS had compared to where it is now I am wondering why they are choosing now of all times to make this. The 3DS is really just hitting its stride now, but even then I'd claim it is still in a rough patch for games. This generation has been pretty awful for the handheld market unless you're a mobile phone really. The thing is, I know some people who just shelled out their money to get some limited edition of a 3DS that comes out that has whatever their favourite game styled on it and now they go and do this. Not to mention they still have upcoming bundles for certain games and special editions of the 3DS that haven't even hit yet and they're pulling this.

I am awaiting the inevitable 2DS version of this upgrade for those kids who just got their 2DS because Nintendo made that just for them.

Also what the hell is their gameplan for brand identity? They have so many brands under the same name with slight differences and/or a completely different brand with such a similar name it's going to cause people to be confused. Parents will go in expecting to buy a cheap 3DS which is the old model and NEWGAMEHERE that only works on this new model only to find out their kid can't play it. It's going to happen. I mean there was confusion over the Wii U and that was an entirely new system, I wonder what is going to happen with this lazy upgrade.

Since the start of the Wii's launch I have become more and more frustrated with this company - I used to love them a lot. But the degree at which they continually pull the wool over everyone's eyes while pretending to be the nice guy while slowly rolling out the same shit we've come to expect from other companies is a lot more despicable to me than the companies who at least don't try and hide the fact anymore haha. I get it - they're a business and they aren't your friend but its a damn shame for me personally to see it happen with them. They used to be so genuine too. But I mean I should have seen this coming ages ago haha...

3DS-It-Prints-Money.gif

• Like 1

I'm fine with this as long as the old 3DS still gets new games and developers don't focus on the new one, if they do I'm going to be fucking pissed because I got finally got mine last december (an 3DS XL mind you, which is more expensive). I don't want to buy another 3DS and don't plan to, as much as I would like to play Xenoblade Chronicles on the go.

8ad.jpg

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 1

I'm fine with this as long as the old 3DS still gets new games and developers don't focus on the new one, if they do I'm going to be fucking pissed because I got finally got mine last december (an 3DS XL mind you, which is more expensive). I don't want to buy another 3DS and don't plan to, as much as I would like to play Xenoblade Chronicles on the go.

My thoughts exactly.

Nintendo...meh. As much as I love Metroid, Zelda and Mario, they are just not worth the investment anymore. I didn't want a 3DS because the Vita is a superior console, but the Vita tanked...now I no longer care for the handheld market. I don't want a Wii-U because i'd actually like to participate in the next generation of games. Not splash around the outskirts catching the stragglers. Lets be honest here -- the only defining trait of the Wii-U and its dated hardware is whatever 1st-party exclusives nintendo puts on them. They've once again placed themselves on the shunned end of multiplatform spectrum because the Wii-U is a 360+1 in terms of hardware.

And speaking of 1st party titles....what do I even have to look forward to anymore? Mario? It's is always great, but I can always just beat that at someone else's house. Metroid? I'm not too optimistic about Metroid anymore; the japanese have reclaimed Samus, and for the first time ever, samus' main appeal became the suit she wears under her Varia suit. Other M's entire focal point was exploring the fact that she's (gasp.) actually a woman. Smash Bros? I'm not hype for it because I already know that in terms of longevity, competitive players will still be on Melee/PM in the coming years. Smash WiiU is going to be the best thing ever for about 6 months, after which the skill ceiling will be hit and the game gets stale. 

Not to take away from the good games that end up on these systems...but it just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I don't want to play 1st party nintendo forever, i'd like to get in bed with other developers too. And for that, it's been risky to deal with nintendo consoles since the GCN because of how they do things. 

In order for me to consider a Wii-U, they'd have to deliver on a serious Zelda and Metroid series. Zelda already looks like it's dropping its trope forumla. But Metroid has yet to show whether it's decided to go the route of Prime (new ideas, exploration, awesome shit), or Other M (retro pandering, fanservice, terrible writing) 

• Like 1

Not enough information? Seriously? This thing sucks, and let's see why:

It's a revision that will spread the library in exclusive games. Before any Nintendo Defense claims stuff about the DSi, consider that games such as Shantae are exclusive because of the DSi shop - if there was a physical cart, it would've ran on a phat DS just fine. Any other exclusive DSi software was trash that used the camera, which obviously only the DSi could work with.

Revisions of consoles are supposed to make things better:

Include the right stick and ZR/ZL buttons, which is the only good thing from this new 3DS

Reduce the size of the system (see DS phat -> DS Lite)

Reduce power consumption

The Genesis 2 didn't get exclusive games. GTA:SA came out with the PS2 slim, but you can still play it on a big PS2. There are three versions of the PS3 now, but you can play any intensive game such as GT6 or Last of Us in a 'Spiderman' model just fine.

Nintendo is now fragmenting their games and this WILL screw up people who don't know much and are buying gifts for their families. Why the fuck call it 'new 3DS'? This is like Apple with the iPad, iPad 2 and then NEW iPad. That 'NEW iPad' stopped being NEW days later.

They had to make a whole video explaining that Wii U is a console of a different generation and is NOT a revision of the Wii. They recognized the error with that name... and now we get this.

I don't give a crap about Xenoblade because it's still going to look like total ass on that tiny 240p screen - Wii version all the way. However, imagine if the next Pokemon or Zelda game ends up requiring this thing. Yeah, yeah, there was Majora's Mask and the expansion pak, but you didn't need to buy a new n64 for it. (the console was designed with EP in mind right from the start, though).

NFC on old models will be achieved through a peripheral, but that's of little importance - Fuck amiibos. The thing is that Nintendo can't make an expansion pack that will give the extra CPU horsepower to the old models, making them obsolete when it comes to exclusive games - and they said that MORE of these exclusives would come. It's bullshit and you know it.

Revisions are a good thing, see NES toploader and PS3 slim. But they are supposed to keep the footprint of the main console, not fuck you up and introduce NEW games. Peripherals (Sega CD, Expansion Pak) are fine, but this is not.

That does it for my rant, anyway. Thank god I didn't get a 3DS until now. Since AA5 is out on iOS I'll just see if I can borrow someone's iSomething to play it.

I'm getting a Vita. Library full of weeb stuff that I want to play, and no bullshit with the revisions (2000 model has an uglier screen though).

Oh, and finally:

Why the hell put that nipple C-stick in THERE? They should've moved Start and Select under the screen and put a second slider stick in its place, to make it more like that goddamn Circle Pad Pro accessory! fffffffffffffffff

nintendos nintendoomed

pc master race go

Seriously, it's not even been a good 3 1/2 years since 3ds has been around. It was 6 years until they announced the DSi. It's all about spacing. If you release everything all at once, people will by one and leave the others. Plus you need a real hook other than extra buttons and a few design changes.

nintendos nintendoomed

pc master race go

Seriously, it's not even been a good 3 1/2 years since 3ds has been around. It was 6 years until they announced the DSi. It's all about spacing. If you release everything all at once, people will by one and leave the others. Plus you need a real hook other than extra buttons and a few design changes.

Technically, there were 2 models of the DS before the DSi.

Technically, there were 2 models of the DS before the DSi.

The difference is that neither of those two versions of the handheld had games that were solely exclusive. The big issue here is that I paid full price for a 3DS and then for a 3DS XL, only to find out that I might need to buy another? WTF did I upgrade to the XL for if I was just gonna get fucked in the ass for it less than a year later?

Seriously, wtf Nintendo.

• Like 1

I still have my original 3DS that's working just fine. I see no need for an upgrade. This could have been their chance to make the 3DS region free like the DS was, but nooo they still insist on a shitty region lock! It's bad enough I have to buy a US 3DS because companies really hate PAL countries. I don't want to have to buy this stupid thing for exclusive games too! Seriously, get your shit together Nintendo.

Yeah, I feel like I just bought my 3DS XL and this really kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They could have just waited another year and announced a legitimate new hardware line with 3ds backwards compatibility and I would have been fine with it, but this tiny incremental upgrade that is just enough to fracture the library is aggravating.

I'm all for a newer and better 3DS, but Nintendo has confirmed that interchangeable faceplates will only be available for the standard sized version, not the XL. So basically I'm waiting 2 years for Nintendo to put out a pink version. AGAIN.

Also as a retail electronics employee, I've dealt with enough parents who don't know the difference between a DS, 3DS, and 2DS, so the whole "New" 3DS is just going to confuse everyone all around.

• Like 1