A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Your favorite sonic level of all time!

Okay

1) Please don't double post in these types of topics. Double posting in your own fangame topics or whatever is fine as long as you have some content to update the thread with, but elsewhere it's kind of a no-no.

2) This is a general note to everyone - these kinds of topics have been increasingly more common lately so if you're going to make one then please have some more content in the post. Explain why something is your favourite and for the love of Eggman how many of these types of topics do we reasonably need haha?

Anyway just so I add something of worth to this topic I'll give you guys my all time favourite Sonic level.

Probably a strange pick since a lot of people hate water levels, but I love the hell out of Hydrocity Zone. I love the aesthetics of the level, not to mention the music is amazing (which as the video shows is ripe for badass mixes). It also is a very vertical level, with a lot of those tall corkscrew things that take you above and below water at blistering speeds that when I played it for the first time as a kid it really blew my nuts off. Then again I'm pretty partial to water levels which is another unusual thing among the fandom. I think Hydrocity Zone was also the first time as a kid where I actually got freaked out playing a Sonic game, thanks to that wall at the start of act 2... although Sonic 3 in general scared me at times because Marble Garden had a segment kind of like that too!

• Like 1

I have to agree with you- Hydrocity is the best! I can't get it out of my head even if I just barely hear the song. The visuals were so amazing and so pleasing. It's overall, probably, THE best Sonic stage I've ever played. So many fond memories even though at that time I was bad at games :P It made me happy by just entering the stage and even though when I got level select to work, I still decided to just go to this stage sometimes. I think by how much I played it is why I probably don't do much or think much of it now but it still cuts the cake as the best stage I've ever played. The design, that freaking amazing music, the visuals, how much I actually felt as if I were in the stage. It's amazing. I would have actually taken this level over Sky Sanctuary in Generations hah it's that good to me. Makes me feel like going back to replay it right now!

• Like 1

Lava reef anyone?

I just love that level, coming up to the climax and how long it is (especially if you haven't played it before). I remember the first time I reached the boss, I didn't know about the conveniently placed fire shield :( and it was a pain lol

• Like 1

For me its star light zone from sonic 1. the reason why is its packed to the brim with loops that can speed you up, also its kinda challenging. this kinda dose not make sense because sonic 1 is the least favourite when compared to sonic 2 and sonic 3, but it is a level that goes back into speed loving levels  which is probably why I like that level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2D: Lava Reef (Sonic and Knuckles) and/or Launch Base (Sonic 3) - Both have an epic climactic feel to them and both have general flows that differ greatly from the norm.

Honorable Mention: Wing Fortress Zone (Sonic 2) - it's cobbled together in a weird way that allows for some awesome sequence breaking.

3D: Final Rush (SA2) - When you master this stage, you feel freakin' awesome.

Honorable Mention: Space Gadget (Shadow the Hedgehog) - evokes a lot of the same feelings as Final Rush, and looks a little more polished while doing it.  Too bad it's held back by a game with much shoddier controls.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hidden Palace Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Why? Because it's the level that got me interested in game development. When I first heard there were levels we never got to play, it made me want to research more into it and development cycles in general. Don't like that answer? Fine. Flame Core from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). How many other levels in the franchise sound like they can be a new sub-genre of metal? Yeah. Didn't think so.

2D: I liked almost all of the levels in sonic 3&K but if I was to pick one it would be Hydrocity Zone as a level that dates back to my child hood and is still fun today. Honorable Mention would be Lava Reef and Mushroom Hill beening that I havent played them as much as Hydrocity. Heck the whole game would make me buy the sound track.

3D: I had a hard time with this one but I would have to go with Sonic Colors, Planet Wisp. It was a pretty level with great music. The intro alone got me hooked with the grass field converting to an industrial theme. Honorable Mentions would be the Sonic Generations Seaside Hill, Sky Sanctuary and Sonic Adventure 2's Pyramid Cave.

Only played Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles, Sonic Advance-3, and Sonic Blast on emulator (saddly) and Sonic Adventure DX, Adventure 2, 4 episode1-2, and Generations on my PC so far (and technically, Generations is a compilation....i guess)

well....i guess it's Angel Island in Sonic Advance and Desert-level in Sonic 4 Ep.2 (and i don't know the name of it..maybe Oil..?)

Mine would have to be, well..

2d:having a hard time choosing one, but gonna have to go with sky sanctuary purely on an aesthetic viewpoint, i love how this level looks.

3d: defenitively tropical resort, whats not to love about a tropical level in SPACE? without a doubt my favourite first level in the series.

Spinoff: gonna have to choose levitated ruin, i really love this level aesthetically, musically, and its one of the few levels in secret rings that doesnt play like absolute shit.

• 2 weeks later...
2D: Ice Cap Zone. The snowboard sequence at the beginning is horribly automated, but it's followed by some of my favorite platforming and gimmicks in a Sonic game. Like any good Sonic 3 stage it also has plenty of background variation between the icy caverns and the ice flows in the upper levels.

Honorable Mention goes to Green Hill Zone Act 2. It has some of my favorite hidden spots in a Sonic game. I still practice trying to beat this stage blindfolded.

3D: Knuckles' version of Red Mountain. I've felt that in the Adventure games Knuckles has always had the tightest gameplay. Red Mountain is basically the perfect playground for it. Lots of gliding and climbing with the ever present danger of bottomless pits.

Honorable Mention goes to the Sonic Generations Classic version of Crisis City (Yes this a cheat pick) but I felt of the "Classic Stages" it had the best re-imagining of a classic version of a modern stage.

2D: Of all the stages that Sonic went trough, I'll pick my favorute stage of my very fist Sonic game: Stardust Speedway from Sonic CD. This stage seems huge for me and was so fast, not to forget the awesome BGM (JP/EU-Ost). I can't think of anything I didn't like, the background, the layout, the music, everything is perfect. And don't get me started on the boss, which is (in my opinion) one of the most creative bosses in Sonic ever, Period. Other stages I loved were Huge Crisis from Sonic Rush for the G.U.N. stuff and everyones favorite Sonic 1 Zone: Gre... Who am I kidding, it is Labyrinth Zone that I adore...

3D: This is more of a hard pick.... While I love City Escape and even stages like Circus Park from ShadowtH, Crisis City from '06 and Tropical Resort, I'll go with Aquarium Park. Unlike other Colours Zones it is slightly calmer and less colourfull (Quote from a friend of my: "Can you even see Sonic with this many colous onscreen!?"). It also is an underwater Zone, and a good to at that, but there is something about that asian/oriented style of this stage that I love. It just is. What I didn't like about Aquarium Park? The boss. I just can't get me to like the "destroy ship, then beat boss" style of bosses...

• 2 months later...