A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: Incursion (With Demo!)

Ell678

Hi all. I'd like to present the fangame I am working on, named Sonic: Incursion. It is a 2.5D game, powered by UDK and made possible with Xaklse's SGDK codebase. I have been working on this for one year and I have made significant progress. In addition to sporting 2D gameplay, the third act of every zone is smaller, but focused on a specific gimmick.

For example, the first zone has a segment reminicient of Sky Chase Zone, the second has a small exploration puzzle.

There is a demo available, which has the first zone fully playable. I hope you can download it and give it a go, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Alternatively, there is some gameplay footage of Sunkissed Shore Zone Act 1.

Screenshots. Please note, some of these are already out of date.HIOfC1.jpgwopklI.jpgjd77h6.jpg

fncfPk.jpg

v3o0JI.jpg

Edited by Ell678
  • Like 10

Yes, the gameplay is completely 2D. I'm more confident with making 2D level designs.

I guess the Mobians just like to party all day as well as all night? :Juice: Seriously though, daytime fireworks aren't unheard of, yet they do look different to 'traditional' ones. Thanks for the input!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The beach level is great. Original and interesting, and while have many trees and rocks, I think they fit very well and made that cool rock structure something very interesting. Unfortunatelly SGDK isn't perfect, and the areas where you finish a ramp there are those strange physics that detracts the attention while you look that sonic is flying without gravity.

The other levels look cool, even more the redish level with the blur effect. And even using udk assets and speedtree(I guess, the trees are too basic, I think) it still interesting. I really like to see this completed.

• 1 month later...

I noticed a glitch in act 1. After the first loop, you fall offscreen and die in a void. Could you fix that? I also think you need to change the controls, too.

This is, unfortunatly, a rather rare issue with loops. I very rarely encounter it, so it's hard to find them all. I'l look into this one, thanks. Out of interest, what kind of spec is your computer? What kind of FPS are you getting? Which graphical setting?

By controls, if you mean the annoying combination of mouse for the menus and keyboard / gamepad for the gameplay, there's nothing I can do until the menu is replaced. Considering I know nothing about Flash / Scaleform, this is one of the last jobs in the project.

While graphically it looks good, I cant help like I've seen this before, and it looks to me like the graphical polish is only due to the engine.
We've seen Generic tropical scene A and Generic Forrest B in other 3D fangames give us some character. Sonic Unleashed and Adventure(s) though realistic had distinct looks to them, so you cant say well they did it.
--------------------
I'm not the type to praise a game simply cause its 3d and I feel like this game has no identity.
Honestly, and im not saying this to be mean but every time I open this forum either here or on Retro I think it's a new game only to go, "Oh yea this game".  Its easily forgotten do to the stock models look.
------------

My advice:
retool your level(s) - Get out a note pad and write down: where is this place located: How can I tell this place from say another of its kind - what kind of civilization/ creatures inhabit here, what landmarks would I find here not anywhere else. Grab and mix some textures form other games if you got too. Like Dessidia meets Banjo
:: :: :: ::
Start looking at Mario (New or Rpg) /  Rayman (L or O or the original) /Donkey Kong Returns (1or2) / Kirby64 -as in other Platformers (preferably 2.5D I hate that term games)
Not Sonic (more specifically Sonic Adventure 1 or 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, or Sonic 06) to get a grasp on what makes a level stand out and look unique unless your VERY good at observation. I'm long tired of the Sonic 06 Adventure Over Reallistic Darksouls bleh look that haunt a good amount of sonic 3d fangames, with generic assets every where.
---

This looks cool and all but its far too Generic of a title to grab a good amount of attention, or be kept in memory.

Add some character to your universe - that the most important one.

EDIT: Oh and through some color theory on your levels to -all that DARKNES -and stone grey

Edited by Pulse0