A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Change of interests in life- "My Sonic relationship...complicated?!"

Hey all.

So I've been thinking about this for a while and honestly, I didn't think it possible. Over the summer during my time writing, drawing, and reading comics, I did a heavy viewing of Marvel/DC media (comics, games, animation series, movies...). I own all Wonder Woman V1 & V2 comics, all of the Batman Comics, and other DC and Marvel comics. Basically, I'm full on Marvel/DC now.

What I'm saying is I...kinda left Sonic out of the loop this year. Ever since Lost World and the introduction of Boom, Sonic hasn't really been on my mind. I'd hate to finally admit it, but after all these years, I think I've lost interest in all things Sonic. Now of course my collection stays intact, but I can't see myself continuing on my fandom of the ol' hog. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm trashing Sonic. I'll still play Sonic games, I'll still watch Sonic Boom when it airs. I just can't see myself bragging about being a "Super Sonic Fan" anymore. He's just been demoted to my "I like it" list, while other characters like Deathstroke, Power Girl, and an abundance of other Marvel and DC characters have taken his place.

Wow man...this is really a game changer for me. I guess because I've gotten older, my mind is on a new level. I feel pretty awful because Sonic was my childhood hero and now it feels like our relationship is over and we just pass each other with a wave. I tell you guys growing up can bring some weird shit...

What about you guys, especially peeps roughly my age? How do you feel about Sonic now?

Sonic is the reason I have a future ahead of me.

Just like Overbound, I remember being a little kid, playing with the Genesis I inherited from my cousin. I was playing sonic 2, and thinking about how special sonic was compared to other games. I had played mario, kirby, pokemon, and all the other games of the sort before that, and sonic really stood out to me. He made me thing. Why does sonic go through loops, and move faster than the others? How does it all work? It just so happens that one of my friend's dad was a web designer, and he showed me the thing that opened my imagination. Which was Scratch, the basic programming language for kids.

I first played sonic right before I turned 5. I learned how to program when I was 6. For my age, I think I'm pretty good at it as well. If it wasn't for sonic sparking my imagination, I probably wouldn't already know what I want to do for the rest of my life. I would probably be on my way to being a singer... (there's a reason I left my fancy schmancy art school). I kind of feel like I owe sonic for what will be the rest of my life, and what is my passion. So, in turn, I instinctively  have done what I can to "thank" him, which is make silly fangames on the internet. That's why I'm here, I guess. I've never really thought about it.

I still remember Sonic fondly and lift the aspects that used to inspire me, but over the last few years I've moved on to different things that I love even more than Sonic (including Mega Man and that's a series that has pretty much been dead for a while haha). I just haven't really been captivated by the series post Generations. I dunno I miss the whimsical, surreal, classic type of world (and all the more endearing designs imo). Things were simple, but weren't presented in this shitty kids cartoon fashion as of late. The writing is really turning me off lately too, and Boom is kinda like that next nail in the coffin for me. I probably won't ever totally abandon the series but w/e. But also I've become more of a hardcore fan of Studio Trigger and while I don't attach myself loads to anime, I have been really inspired by their work (and previous work of the likes of Hiroyuki Imaishi from that studio) and stuff like Redline - stuff I can regurgitate back into my art. So I have no time really for Sonic these days when I factor in a lot of other influences/interests as of late. I wish I could say otherwise but oh well.

Sonic doesn't exist. He doesn't exist in a show, or a figure, or a cartridge. He only exists in your memories. He's not going away. If you choose to take interest in other things, that's fine. You'll always have your memories, and you can revisit them whenever you feel it necessary. You don't belong to your memories, your memories belong to you.

• Like 1

I remember being infatuated with Sonic....god damn. Sonic 3 was one of the coolest birthday presents I can remember, the Sonic & Knuckles cartridge and its lock-on, and the first time getting to The Doomsday Zone in an era of gaming with no endgame spoilers. Some of my earliest memories of the internet in the 56k AoL days, getting debug mode secrets for Sonic 2, and the ridiculous mindfuck that ensued when i saw screenshots of Hidden Palace Zone from the Simon Wai prototype. Finding out about emulators (Genecyst), the popularity of Sonic Hoaxes and the Moogle Cavern. I remember the first website i loaded when my family got a DSL connection was The Sonic Foundation's MP3 section. In like the 5th grade, maybe a bit earlier, i remember getting a registered copy of The Games Factory. I believe i had already joined SFGHQ, and was the same type of obnoxious as the newer members are now.

The death of Sonic and Sonic Team is pretty significant to me, because along with it went Phantasy Star. It was hard to tell exactly when the ball was dropped, but now i'm sure it was around 2006...because that was ironically the year both Phantasy Star Universe AND Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was released. Sonic Team's two biggest franchises, completely shitting on expectations and delivering insultingly broken experiences to the fans.

It's so heavily rooted in my childhood that it's something i don't think i can ever fully quit, but I can say that at this point I no longer have any real respect for Sonic. I feel that SEGA only sees it for what it is, a wonderful way to milk both the east and the west of its nostalgic past. The same way they took Phantasy Star, a pioneering franchise in both RPG and MMO terms, and have perverted it into a valueless, soulless otaku fanservice machine with no respect for its own lineage or the players it exploits. Of course, the sort of shit PSO has become only sells in the east, so Phantasy Star Online isn't even localized anymore.

Honestly, I hate SEGA now. More than EA, more than Capcom. Hell, probably more than Comcast.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

I was a huge Sonic fan growing up. For many a year.

Then I bought Sonic Heroes on launch for PS2. That changed everything for me. Literally killed the entire franchise for me in one fell swoop. Snapped the disc in half and haven't paid money for a Sonic game ever since. Do I still like Sonic? Sometimes. I liked Sonic Rush, etc., but I didn't pay for it. I don't have expectations of Sonic games anymore. No, actually, to be more specific, I expect them to suck, really, really, badly. I'm surprised when a good one actually does come out, yet I find I am no longer thrilled by the prospect.

I no longer have desire to do stuff like buy Sonic merchandise or any shit like that either. I like classic Sonic games and games that have a similar feel and formula. But as far as love for the character goes? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some Sonic stuff from time to time, but much like Taz here, you give me a choice of a Batman comic or a Sonic comic, I'm going to pick Batman over Sonic. The character just isn't what he used to be for me.

Sorry, it's true and it's Sonic's fucking fault for being in such a shitty game that cost me 60 bucks. I felt cheated, I felt ripped off, I felt completely screwed. PS2 SH was so bad and so buggy that it was literally unplayable. I could beat SA/SA2 with my eyes closed, full S ranks all around and zero deaths with no problems. SH I couldn't get past the first level for a good while because if Sonic wasn't just falling through the floor while I was running, every other jump the camera would spin around and fill my screen with the bottom of Sonic's shoe. The game was so bad it permanently crippled the Sonic fan inside of me. Forever. There's no going back after feeling betrayed like that.

It is what it is, what can I say?

• Like 1

I-ermm.....I'll say that, I started playing Sonic since SA2, I hated it, a LOT! I died a hell of a lot, cried when I got game over. (no kidding) But the only thing that brought me into Sonic was Metal Harbour. Yes, a LEVEL... I enjoyed the loop-de-loops in the stage. Then I thought does Mario have this? (I was a Mario fan before) I took out the SA2 disc and put in Super Mario Sunshine. I played on my 100% save. Replayed the first level and I was like "This is slow. Why can't I run fast like that blue guy?" I told my brothers and sisters "Wanna play Battle Mode?" They said yes. I said Let's go to Metal Harbour! I won constantly and thought THIS IS FUN! I later completed the game 10 days later, I was transformed. I was actually thinking of getting myself off a chair. And running, and working out. JKJKJK. I then was a Sonic Fan until I became 12 (2014)

My interest comes and goes.  Sometimes I'll be really into the series, sometimes I can't even focus on it.  It can be rather maddening at times, not being able to dedicate myself to something.  But I'm starting to find more balance in life either way, and my fan game may see fruition after all.  Once I get my app done.  Urgh.