A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Things that were wrong with sonic 06

I'm not really sure why people say sonic 06 was a bad game but i have watched all the cut ssf2_silver_the_hedgehog_by_kitkatthehed scenes and game play and the only thing i saw wrong and/or disturbing was this

800px-SonicEliseKiss.pngwwhat if sega decided to to redo the game like a reboot to make all the bad parts of the game better it would probably make a lot of sonic fans happy (WORLD PEACE ANYONE!!)

Edited by SilverFan96

Sixty seconds with the controller and you'll understand.  My specialty in fan gaming is 3D physics, so I'll describe a couple of specifics.

Characters' turning is immediate and not gradual, yet slowing to a stop is still very gradual.  This makes it difficult to control one's direction and to stop in a particular spot, and creates a horrible disconnect between player and controls.  Jumping does not conserve horizontal momentum; in other Sonic games when you jump you still go the same speed, but in '06 you're slowed to a max speed.  There is also no way to slow to a horizontal stop while jumping, thus forcing you to rotate in circles just to stay in one spot.

These two details alone could have done SO much to fix the game's feel, and it would only take an hour or so to do.  But there's yet more.

Instead of nice ground detection, they had to revert to a "tag" system.  As long as you touch something tagged as walkable, you will stand on it at the exact angle of the ground, even if it's a ceiling and you're standing perfectly still.  This would have taken a few days to fix, maybe.  If the folks hadn't done a platformer before.

The game has no momentum, and the controls are weird as hell.

• Like 5

now that i think about it there were a few more things wrong with sonic 06, or as its now referred to as "THE FORBIDDEN GAME!" XD ssf2_silver_the_hedgehog_by_kitkatthehedgehog-d53anfh.gif

maybe if SEGA descided to reboot the game, you know redo it, they could fix a lot of crap thats wrong with it.

Now that's how you review a game. Just watch the cutssf2_silver_the_hedgehog_by_kitkatthehedgehog-d53anfh.gifscenes. This game is utter shit and you must be REALLY young to think it's even meh.

i don't have the money to buy the game or look for the system and i dont really care besides i've watched the gameplay too,OK?!

I can't complain unleashed was a cool game

Edited by Abominal Taz

The closest thing to a "good" version of 2006 is the Generations 2006 Project mod:

Unleashed is also the same general idea, but not terrible (or less terrible, depending on who you talk to).

Edited by Chex

Nothing! I'm going so far and going to say that there was nothing wrong with Sonic '06! *gets shot at*

Ok, Sonic '06 is not a perfect game. It's not even finished, but it still was a satisfying experience. Sure Silver was slow as f*ck, the physics were "wonky" or "wrong" (depending on how you see it) and there were lots and loads of loadings...

But still, Sonic '06 managed to do one thing that almost all Sonic games have in common: It managed to give you something new and interesting to do while "improving" old ideas and gimmicks. For me it feld more like Sonic Adventure (DX) than a fully new game with its multiple different playstyles, open Hub-worlds and the stages entered over the hub-worlds. The gameplay was similary "broken" as Sonic Adventure's. Sonic's and Shadow's playstyles were "improved" versions of their respective playstyles from Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle) and Shadow the Hedgehog, Silver's playstyle was the "new and interesting" that almost every Sonic game has to offer.

If it wasn't for the bugs and the gliches, then the game would be at least mediocre if not almost acceptable...

Hope you understand my opinion. *gets shot at again* I guess not...

Normal text to accommodate a boring theme? Fine. <_<

I kindly requested it so you need to watch your attitude. No one's trying to dis your usage of different colored text, it's just that some people find it hard to read with different themes turned on.

also:

My point stands, though. Everything that's been said about this game has already been said and pointed out thousands of times in countless ways. Drop it already.

As much as I hate the topic of 06, people are free to discuss it if they wish. If you don't like it, don't bother.

But still, Sonic '06 managed to do one thing that almost all Sonic games have in common: It managed to give you something new and interesting to do while "improving" old ideas and gimmicks. For me it feld more like Sonic Adventure (DX) than a fully new game with its multiple different playstyles, open Hub-worlds and the stages entered over the hub-worlds. The gameplay was similary "broken" as Sonic Adventure's. Sonic's and Shadow's playstyles were "improved" versions of their respective playstyles from Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle) and Shadow the Hedgehog, Silver's playstyle was the "new and interesting" that almost every Sonic game has to offer.

I would never insult a game by saying it was as broken as S06 was. I can't think of a single thing 06 improved gameplay or design wise over Heroes or Shadow. Hell, even adventure 2.

At best, it was a buggy, badly animated sequel to SA1 with even worse voice acting

His post...

Actually, Serephim, I was rising Sonic '06 to the level of Sonic Adventure (1)...

Sure, the story cannot hold up, not a little bit, but there were some "improvements" (I put the " there because these things also can be seen as "not-improvements") here and there. The inclusion of those "Mach-sections" in Sonic's stages made this game feel fast, something I rarely felt about Sonic Adventure because the camera always managed to keep up with Sonic. Without the moveset of Unleashed they sure feld incredibly broken, but broken on Supersonic-speeds...

The improvement of Shadow's playstyle, at least in my opinion, were the vehicles... In both Sonic 06 and StH they feel broken, but here they feel a little better. Also the inclusion of weapons ON the vehicles instead of parallel to the vehicles made the weapons finally useful. Olny the deactivation of autoaim was bull.

Actually I think the vehicles did feel rather nice.  The main problem is that the rest of the game was not designed to suit them.  Insta-death from touching water, insta-touching-water from being hit by debris you can't avoid, bad level design for buggy and motorcycle segments.  But the vehicle physics themselves were pretty decent, especially compared to ShTH.

At least some stuff from Shadow's gameplay were okay, i cant' say the same for Sonic and Silver gameplays, although i like the psychic powers that Silver has maybe if he could fly the way he does in Rival battle from Generations it could had been nice.

I always loved the soundtrack (even if people think that is poorly written and is reiterative, well aquatic base theme was kinda boring but the match speed version was cool) also i think its the first game where sonic actually dies, even if he is revived from a kiss from a human (guys i honestly think that Elise is pretty hot, but one thing is that and another thing is kissing with sonic, bitch that had to be Amy at least, what were they thinking?!!) but is the first game i have actually seen sonic die, that's something new i guess.

Yeah the gameplay is broken, it has this cheesy voice acting (more than cheesy we could say crappy) that i hate with all my soul (even when is not a sonic game dear god i hate bad voice acting) it makes the game more goofy like and is kinda embarrasing, it has this stupid looking "power ranger" style of realistic japanese animation (this is what i hate the most in a game, if you want to give it a more realistic touch to the animations DO NOT EXAGGERATE the goddamn animations!!! they look so...mickey mouse like that hurts)

But yeah it has its good things like the story being a little more serious and dark, sonic dying for real in this game, some badguys that are cool like Mephiles, buuuuut it has so many glitches and is so broken that is a shame because it could had been a great game, i think sega has to fix it somehow idk maybe doesnt doing the same game again and i dunno a kinda whole different game based in this one, not 100% based on of course.

Implying those are good things. Seriously how is sonic dying and angsty sonic good things?

I dunno XDDD, i just thought that i never saw sonic die in an actual game, is like when you see some famous actor that is so die hard and suddendly dies in a movie? like idk Steven segal in that movie with kurt russel and dies in the first 15 mins of the movie....yeah that, i think we arent talking about this here so im going to my corner right now....