A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Zodiac

Well, the SAGE trailer came out earlier than I anticipated, but here it is, my in-dev fangame, Sonic Dynamo. Let me just grab a copypasta from the SAGE booth! :3

"Sonic Dynamo is being developed by InfinityAlex (project lead, level designer, programmer), ZigZagX (art, programmer), Hobbers (art, additional programming), PicsandPixels (art), Jassbec (musician), Mr Lange (musician) and Can of Nothing (guest musician). The game features custom sprites made by Hobbers and, upon completion of the soundtrack, music by Jassbec and Mr Lange. The project was initially called Sonic Paradise and we'd planned it as an open world project where the player would collect upgrades and complete tasks to advance, similar to the Banjo-Kazooie series, but during development, we decided to switch the focus of the game to a more traditional Classic Sonic game in an attempt to create a spiritual successor to the classic era series."

In the SAGE demo, you'll see one complete zone, except from the fact that almost all of it's music is placeholder material right now. I'll be posting a trailer once we have one, but for now here are some screenshots not seen anywhere else;

edrt2014-07-1614-41-35-77_zps8fa12824.pn

edrt2014-07-1614-41-25-77_zps3710a26d.pn

edrt2014-07-1614-38-45-88_zpsf751d4b5.pn

Edited by InfinityAlex
  • Like 2

I'm wanna play it! Hopefully it will not lag.

Heh, calm yourself, dude! Don't worry, it's not very graphic intensive so it really shouldn't lag. However, anyone who had problems with the initial build of Chrono Adventure may have problems with this as I think it's using Direct X9...

This is looking pretty nice. The desert stage reminds me of some concept artwork I did for Sonic Exodus before I left the team.

Thanks for the compliment! Speaking of concept art, I have a little something to show you all!

KambaConcept_zpsb4dcaa56.png

Bit of trivia for y'all; the literal translation of his Japanese name is rope cutter because I initially designed him to cut ropes on bridges. As well as this, his "English" name "Kamba" is actually the Swahili for rope cutter! :D

I'd say that the "genericness" you noted Miru would be due to the fact that (not much of) a single stage is being shown. Maybe you tune will change once more info is revealed. (Although, the Banjo-Kazooie approach can be used for another game)

I didn't even notice the new shoes though, and it's a nice touch! Same with the Kamba badnik.

I need more Dynamo pls :(

• Like 2

Looks really generic. I recommend you switch back to the Banjo-Kazooie approach, then there would at least be something distinct about it.

Actually, this game has a rather unique moveset and will have many interesting gimmicks down the line, as well as some awesome bosses. Maybe I'll use the open world idea some other game. ;)

I'd say that the "genericness" you noted Miru would be due to the fact that (not much of) a single stage is being shown. Maybe you tune will change once more info is revealed. (Although, the Banjo-Kazooie approach can be used for another game)

I didn't even notice the new shoes though, and it's a nice touch! Same with the Kamba badnik.

I need more Dynamo pls :(

Thanks a lot. I'll make sure to keep posting stuff here as it comes, though not too much! Don't want to spoil the game!

While I'm dropping in to sing the praises of just how much I love that running animation, the game's looking good.

I'm really digging how Sonic fangames lately have been getting a massive boost in quality overall, there's so much polish and detail and attention going into a lot of things. I'd say this project's a pretty good example of it, the assets going into this, and the time put into all this, it's really impressive how much dedication you guys put into making this stuff, and even without any profits.

Also watch out for the tracks that Can of Nothing made, that guy is a terrible musician and can't make stuff to save his life

While I'm dropping in to sing the praises of just how much I love that running animation, the game's looking good.

I'm really digging how Sonic fangames lately have been getting a massive boost in quality overall, there's so much polish and detail and attention going into a lot of things. I'd say this project's a pretty good example of it, the assets going into this, and the time put into all this, it's really impressive how much dedication you guys put into making this stuff, and even without any profits.

Also watch out for the tracks that Can of Nothing made, that guy is a terrible musician and can't make stuff to save his life

plugplugplugplugplug!

But seriously, thanks for the compliments, though! :P

(er, dude, your stuff isn't in this demo as I'm still trying to fit it properly, but Worlds is being a bitch!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...