A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

DBZ Xenoverse

Serephim

How ironic, i had just mentioned Dimps and DBZ in another topic. I actually really liked Budokai 3 and Burst Limit, and it looks like they're back for the first time since then.

Hopefully this'll be the first decent DBZ game in 6 years.

I remember Budokai 3 being okay. It was a fighting game, but much weirder than the likes of Street Fighter. I remember it having alot of monitoring meters and countering attacks. I haven't played a DBZ game since, so I wouldn't know how they've been recently.

How ironic, i had just mentioned Dimps and DBZ in another topic. I actually really liked Budokai 3 and Burst Limit, and it looks like they're back for the first time since then.

Hopefully this'll be the first decent DBZ game in 6 years.

I love Budokai 3, but I have yet to try Burst Limit. I hear that it is a mediocre game.

The way I see it, Xenoverse looks... different than most of the DBZ games.

I remember Budokai 3 being okay. It was a fighting game, but much weirder than the likes of Street Fighter. I remember it having alot of monitoring meters and countering attacks. I haven't played a DBZ game since, so I wouldn't know how they've been recently.

Really, there is no other DBZ game that trumps Budokai 3. Compared to Street Fighter, this game would be weird to play due to how fast paced Budokai 3 is - At times even faster than anything Marvel V.S. Capcom can do. I found B3 natural to control and pulling off massive combos that have massive damage outputs was relatively easy. 

Some people in comments of videos say that Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is the best, but I found the controls complex and I didn't like the isometric view of 3rd person when you are controlling a character. That's just me.

The games that came out recently are mediocre at best. Especially Ultimate Tenkaichi and DBZ: For Kinect. Those two were such disappointments to me.

If you want a fast-paced fighter game, take a shot on playing Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 again. Heck, you can find it in the HD Collection that has Budokai 1 and 3 bundled up in a PS3 package. You won't regret it. :D

Starting from Budokai 1 up through 3, the amount of progression was pretty impressive. Budokai 1 and 2 were rampant with reskins. But in Budokai 3 most of the characters had more unique movesets, the visuals were spot on, alot of unlockables, ect.  

Burst Limit was good mostly from the standpoint of combat improvements to Budokai 3. The ultimate animations were toned down alot, but the visual upgrades were amazing and characters continued the trend of increasing the amount of unique animations and such. Most importantly though with B3 and BL, Dimps took the route of actually attempting to be a fighting game, instead of just an anime button masher like the CC2 Ninja Storm series. Burst Limit is essentially B3 with HD visuals, and is neat to watch happen. 

All three Tenkaichi games and the two Raging Blasts are just ugly and clunky in comparison. There was no significant improvement to anything spanning all 6 of the last DBZ games, Raging Blast 2 is just as clunky and badly animated as Tenkaichi 1 was, if not worse. 

The way I see it, Xenoverse looks... different than most of the DBZ games.

Actually....it looks pretty familiar, enough so that i'd initially ignore it completely. The only reason I haven't is because Dimps is back. It looks like it's going to be 3D like the tenkaichi games, and it doesn't look as graphically impressive as Burst Limit was. But i'm just hoping it'll be a decent game, because the last 6 were not.

"A new excitement awaits"

You mean the same excitement that you've been making over and over since the 90s with the same story arcs over and over again. I mean I'm just ribbing it there but when it comes to Dragon Ball Z related media by this point I'd say there really isn't anything new to experience haha.

Still hoping its good I haven't played a DBZ game since Budokai 3 so maybe I'll check this one out.

"A new excitement awaits"

You mean the same excitement that you've been making over and over since the 90s with the same story arcs over and over again. \

Ha Ha, the Naruto series suffers from the same problem.

All of the post-timeskip games start with "Hello Konoha!"

Actually....it looks pretty familiar, enough so that i'd initially ignore it completely. The only reason I haven't is because Dimps is back. It looks like it's going to be 3D like the tenkaichi games, and it doesn't look as graphically impressive as Burst Limit was. But i'm just hoping it'll be a decent game, because the last 6 were not.

Well, because the title of Dragon Ball Xenoverse looks different from other titles where they use "Budokai" or generic titles like "DBZ: For Kinect" I get the feeling that this game would be distinct from the last 6 games.

The actual graphics that they show on the trailer, I can see what you mean that it looks familiar. To me, it looks like Raging Blast's graphics did the fusion dance with Ultimate Tenkaichi's graphics. That said, it looks gorgeous so far. I'm not really going to judge the game completely until I see actual gameplay.

Anyways, what do you guys think of the (Super-Saiyan-God-Trunks) look-a-like?

I think Super Saiyan God in general is the most generic evolution in the super saiyan line and I'm disappointed they didn't do anything cooler with it. As hilarious looking and kinda cheesy the SS4 form from GT looks/is, it at least played upon the whole monkey vibe and at least felt like it signified a transition into something a bit more beyond human. That really isn't a complaint leveled out against this game but what I consider a bit of laziness on Toriyama's part with that form - he could have totally outdone that element of GT but oh well. SSG form looks just like Goku activated kaioken or something.

Also, I guess it was also only a matter of time before yet another Goku saiyan transformation that made him super powerful was to be used by other characters to make them all not obsolete as well haha. This is a huge complaint I have with Dragon Ball Z in general though and why I vastly prefer the original series over DBZ.

Anyway as for the game I do like the cel shade look and I at least hope its good. I wouldn't mind picking it up if only to just blast a few dudes in the face.

Anyways, what do you guys think of the (Super-Saiyan-God-Trunks) look-a-like?

God Form was an interesting concept but it's kinda silly to have it as an in-game form, seeing as Bills was invincible and literally one-shotted every character's strongest form in the movie.

I'm hoping it's just a red-haired guy.

. I'm not really going to judge the game completely until I see actual gameplay.

Not too impressed, really. Doesn't look nearly as polished as Burst Limit, which looked waaayyy better artistically and was a last-gen title. The models don't animate nearly as well either. Honestly it looks like they're building this game off the raging blast engine.

Even still, looks worlds better than the other games gameplay and animation wise.

I think Super Saiyan God in general is the most generic evolution in the super saiyan line and I'm disappointed they didn't do anything cooler with it. As hilarious looking and kinda cheesy the SS4 form from GT looks/is, it at least played upon the whole monkey vibe and at least felt like it signified a transition into something a bit more beyond human. That really isn't a complaint leveled out against this game but what I consider a bit of laziness on Toriyama's part with that form - he could have totally outdone that element of GT but oh well. SSG form looks just like Goku activated kaioken or something.

I thought it was refreshing. Nobody in the show could scratch Bills without it, and in the end the form had to be given to Goku by everyone else...after which, Goku spends the majority of the battle complaining about it, because it's a level of power impossible for him to reach on his own merits.

I thought it was a pretty decent departure as a form because SSJ3 was pretty much the peak of powering up in DBZ. And by the end of the series, typical fusions being able to outclass its power at base level and Gohan outclassing it without even transforming pretty much made it obsolete. So there being a natural SSJ form stronger than SSJ3 is just kind of silly to me.

So creating another form that relied on fusing Ki or powering up would have been pretty lame. And in the movie, the cast tries SSJ3, fusion, and combining eachothers Ki, and none of it makes a difference. 

• Like 1

Also, I guess it was also only a matter of time before yet another Goku saiyan transformation that made him super powerful was to be used by other characters to make them all not obsolete as well haha. This is a huge complaint I have with Dragon Ball Z in general though and why I vastly prefer the original series over DBZ.

Anyway as for the game I do like the cel shade look and I at least hope its good. I wouldn't mind picking it up if only to just blast a few dudes in the face.

Err, I was talking about the character at the end of the Xenoverse trailer, not the transformation of SSJG itself.

Not too impressed, really. Doesn't look nearly as polished as Burst Limit, which looked waaayyy better artistically and was a last-gen title. The models don't animate nearly as well either. Honestly it looks like they're building this game off the raging blast engine.

Even still, looks worlds better than the other games gameplay and animation wise.

Judging tiiiiiiime!

Welp, the gameplay isn't anything that we have already seen in the last games. One difference that I would like to bring up is the fact that the camera is more zoomed out, and we can see the character we're controlling, the enemy, and the environment itself. There are games in which the camera is focused on the character we're controlling only and didn't focus on the enemy and the environment - something that plagued the Budokai Tenkaichi games.

Another thing that is different from other games that is in this one is how versatile Goku (And possibly other characters) is during the gameplay. He can run, flip-dodge, launching Ki-blasts while moving left or right, launching Kamehamehas immediately, etc. That said, I would like to check the game out just for the mechanics and controls of the game.

• Like 1

Yeah the difference in control of the character immediately feels different than watching a video of the tenkaichi games. The one thing I still hate about these 3D titles is how apparent the invisible walls and terrain collision is, a problem that I believe DBZ of all games shouldn't have. Being blown away isn't nearly as satisfying as blowing someone through the wall behind them. That's really the only added benefit of taking DBZ control into 3D, adding more visual scale to the effects of attacks. 

This game would also heavily benefit from Burst Limit's motion blur from how fast everything is, especially if this game is going to run at 60FPS. Motion blur in 3D fighters is like freaking night and day when it's done correctly.

Err, I was talking about the character at the end of the Xenoverse trailer, not the transformation of SSJG itself.

And I related that in the second part of what I wrote after I wrote about how shitty I thought Super Saiyan God form was. 

"Also, I guess it was also only a matter of time before yet another Goku saiyan transformation that made him super powerful was to be used by other characters to make them all not obsolete as well haha."

No matter what way I slice it I think the SSG form is incredibly stupid and seeing someone else from a saiyan line (I am going to be very surprised if it isn't Trunks as a SSG) using that form defeats the purpose and is pretty stupid as well.

I thought it was a pretty decent departure as a form because SSJ3 was pretty much the peak of powering up in DBZ. And by the end of the series, typical fusions being able to outclass its power at base level and Gohan outclassing it without even transforming pretty much made it obsolete. So there being a natural SSJ form stronger than SSJ3 is just kind of silly to me.

Before that though Super Saiyan by itself was the peak of powering up...but then they exceeded that. Then it was Super Saiyan 2 and 3 and all the other stuff they threw in like fusions. Then you had Gohan being able to go past that without doing anything special like you said. Then finally they have Super Saiyan God. I don't think having the other forms before that is really any excuse as to how lazy it looks (especially with the name they gave that form). I feel that's DBZ in a nutshell though...it started out cool, had some neat ideas and Super Saiyan Goku at the time was pretty rad - and then they tried to ramp it all up in an interesting way only to start giving up and throwing in a bunch of stupid crap haha. I prefer the original Dragon Ball any day of the week over the latter half of DBZ.

And I related that in the second part of what I wrote after I wrote about how shitty I thought Super Saiyan God form was. 

"Also, I guess it was also only a matter of time before yet another Goku saiyan transformation that made him super powerful was to be used by other characters to make them all not obsolete as well haha."

No matter what way I slice it I think the SSG form is incredibly stupid and seeing someone else from a saiyan line (I am going to be very surprised if it isn't Trunks as a SSG) using that form defeats the purpose and is pretty stupid as well.

Before that though Super Saiyan by itself was the peak of powering up...but then they exceeded that. Then it was Super Saiyan 2 and 3 and all the other stuff they threw in like fusions. Then you had Gohan being able to go past that without doing anything special like you said. Then finally they have Super Saiyan God. I don't think having the other forms before that is really any excuse as to how lazy it looks (especially with the name they gave that form). I feel that's DBZ in a nutshell though...it started out cool, had some neat ideas and Super Saiyan Goku at the time was pretty rad - and then they tried to ramp it all up in an interesting way only to start giving up and throwing in a bunch of stupid crap haha. I prefer the original Dragon Ball any day of the week over the latter half of DBZ.

In that case, I would agree with you. In some ways, SSJG looks like a downgrade from the awesome-looking Super Saiyan 3. I heard from a lot of people that in future movies it would state that Vegeta would turn into SSJG and that there would be different forms of SSJG, but I would take it with a grain of salt, especially since these "sources" happen to be my friends.

I remember back in the way when everyone who first saw Super Saiyan, it was spectacular. And thus spawned in multiple videos on Youtube of humans turning Super Saiyan. Then came Super Saiyan 2, where it was kind of underplayed, debuting it while fighting Majin Vegeta. The fight wasn't spectacular compared to the Saiyan Saga Goku V.S. Vegeta fight, but it was a fairly nice intro to Super Saiyan 2. Super Saiyan 3 got everyone hyped up, with an entire episode dedicated to showing Majin Buu Goku's new transformation. I dunno. It's something about the transformations and how Goku exceeded those limits in which inspires me.

I am currently drawing a comic which is just Stick Figures turning Super Saiyan and fighting aliens. The Super Saiyan transformations are that influential.

• Like 1

It's interesting, DBZ is known for its power swinging transformations, but starting with the Cell saga and persisting onward, it had this funny trend going where it ultimately becomes useless, and the characters were all self-conscious of it. SSJ3 was goku's magic ass-pull, but it completely exhausts him before he can beat anyone with it. Gohan unlocks his Ki, making all of his SSJ forms a complete waste of energy. Then fusion creates Vegeto, who is so ridiculously powerful that he surpasses 3 combined sayians including gohan in his normal state. Then Bills shows up and he doesn't even have any Ki.

I shared your sentiments on the form when I first saw it, but the SSJG form makes alot more sense if you watch the movie. It's not something that's supposed to look cool visually (like SSJ2 and 3), but instead conceptually because of what it is. In fact, the characters mention that Goku actually loses muscle mass after transforming.

In that case, I would agree with you. In some ways, SSJG looks like a downgrade from the awesome-looking Super Saiyan 3. I heard from a lot of people that in future movies it would state that Vegeta would turn into SSJG and that there would be different forms of SSJG, but I would take it with a grain of salt, especially since these "sources" happen to be my friends.

Goku was chosen to be the carrier of the form to fight Bills, but towards the end of the movie Goku agrees to let Vegeta carry the form the next time it's used. Should also mention that at one point in the movie, it's explicitly said that Vegeta surpassed Goku's strength. (He was SS1.)

Should also mention that Akira Toriyama on many occasions has stated he actually doesn't remember alot of the shit that happened in DBZ, and has to go back and research his own shit. So...yeah.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, I actually liked Raging Blast 2, everything else on the other hand. I dunno. I didn't like Ultimate Tenkaichi much, if at all. And I didn't really play any of the others besides like Tenkaichi 3 I think. So yeah 2/6 for me. This game also looks quite fun and seems to be better in it's execution so far.

I also agree with Serephim on the SSG transformation, at first, at face value, I didn't like it but after watching the full movie it was a pretty awesome transformation. I did warm up to it a little before I saw the movie though.

• 3 months later...