A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Your Favorite Music Genres

Jassbec

What the topic says. There are no rules on what kind of music genres you can post, however, the only thing I ask of you guys is to be respectful of other people's likings.

Now that's out of the way, let's start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal favorite music genre has to be Jazz (As you might be able to guess due to my username). It's just so nice to listen to, it always gets me in a very positive and creative mood.

Yes, this also means I LOVE the music for Rouge's stages in Sonic Adventure 2.

Edited by Jassbec

I thin I said this 1000 times but I love Electronic. Most importantly...

I Friggin' Love

Daft_Punk_-_Discovery.jpg

I have all the albums on my iPhone, I listen to Brainwasher while I paint or illustrate in Manga Studio. Daft Punk really gets my music sensors going. My favorite album is the Alive tracks.

I couldn't single out genres. I think there is music worth listening to in all genres.

Hard Rock, Country, Pop, Rap, Dub-step, I've swung with'em all

And while many songs can be categorized, many songs can't just be shoved under a genre

Look at the lyrics below:

"When I stand before you shining
In the early morning Sun
When I feel the engines roar
And I think of what we've done

Oh the bittersweet reflection
As we kiss the earth goodbye
As the waves and echoes of the
Towns become the ghosts of time"

That looks like a poem or something, but that's from Iron Maiden, defined as a heavy metal band.

I tend to be partial to 90s era alternative/grunge rock.

but this is my fave band:

I also listen to some heavier stuff but not a lot as well as a lot of electronic music (excluding dubstep, but I do like drum'n'bass and a few other genres) and videogame soundtracks. I also really like bands that are a hybrid of the two like Pendulum or Machinae Supremacy. I'm not really into Hip Hop, Pop, Country, or even a lot of classic rock - and a lot of the 'indie' style going around that seems to be really popular right now I absolutely cannot stand.

Rap, Hip hop, R&B, some rock bands (way too many damn classifications, never cared enough to research) Pop, Funk, tons more probably idk.

Despite this the shit im blasting in my ear usually comes from a VG OST. But i'm no real fan straight techno and trance bore my ears almost to annoyance. Some electronic is great if the melody is good, i enjoy Daft Punk.

• Like 1

I strangely don't have any musical likes at all, the only thing is that I NEVER listen to "real" music, only to game music. But within thees limits I listlen to EVERYTHING including: 

- R'N'B (Streets of Rage)

- Techno (Streets of Rage 3)

- Rock (TMNT:Hyperstone Heist)

- Metal (Contra:Hard Corps)

- Pop (Michael Jackson's Moonwalker)

- Sonic & Megaman music of any kind...

But none "real" music, the newest album I've ever bought was the Thriller album from Michael Jackson, on a LP... damn I'm old!

• 2 weeks later...

I like this topic. I the kinds of music people find good interesting and I think it can tell a lot about who you are as a person. Even things down to the artist we listen to in the genre helps define us greatly in my opinion. I personally find myself listening to rap, rock, pop, jazz, drum and bass, and a bit of R&B.

HOUSE (127-130)

ELECTRO (127-135)

DUBSTEP (140)

TRANCE (135-145)

HARDSTYLE (150)

DRUM AND BASS (165-170)

UK-HARDCORE (175-180)

I'd like to think I have a varied taste in music, but I most likely do not. XD

I used to listen to Punk-Rock and Ska a lot more then I currently do. Hell anything that comes from my homeland in Southern Cali that lands inside my ears I usually like. My absolute favorite bands in that style are Authority Zero, Zebrahead (what a suprise), Sublime, and Pour Habit.

I delved into the land of the Metal in my freshman year of highschool. I mainly listened too Disturbed, Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch, and some Slayer.

Like Serephim, more often then not I'm listening to VGM or VGM remixes. Lots of artists in this catagory: James Landino, RoBKTA (mah niqqa <3), DJ Cutman, Kevin Villecco, Dr. Halc, Falk, the Messiah of Funk- Funk Fiction, Jassbec (ilu no homo <3), Can of Nothing, and many many others that I could not possibly list. The main music label that I'm following for VGM stuff now-a-days is currently GAMECHOPS. Also, S:BtS & S:AtS OSTs are both amazing.

Besides VGM, I've also fallen in line with the EDM/Dubstep/Electronica music crowd. I thank one of my good friends from highschool for getting me in to the Monstercat Media label. Artists like Cash Cash, Nanobii, Telivisor, Pegboard Nerds, Let's Be Friends, Muzzy, Stephen Walking, Skifonix, and many others are who I listen to from that label.

Basically, anything that I come across on Soundcloud that I like, I favorite and download if I can. If you're curious enough, and have enough free time on your hands, you can go through my favorites on Soundcloud if you wish to. It's quite extensive, so be warned. lol

Edited by LiBi (JoeyD)

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to like really quirky musicians like Modest Mouse, Gorillaz, おもだか, and Ken Ashcorp, but I'm also fond of anything really emotional and moving.  Assemblage 23, Linkin Park and Nightwish for example.

If I had to narrow it down to an actual genre, my favourite would probably be Futurepop.

The simple answer is most electronic and orchestral, but I get kind of picky. The songs that really grab me are in genres like Nu Jack Swing

Nu Jack Swing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6blgjF6UkU

Those Euro 90s dance songs:

(Yeah I know that's Sonic, but that's the only one I could think of. I know it's cheesy, but I like the way these types of songs sound. 

Jungle DnB:

Film Noir Jazz:

(These are just so mellow. This + Rainymood = perfect)

I normally listen to instrumentals and video game music though.

However, I hate to say "video game music" because those are still in genres. I feel that songs in games  (more often than not) have a bit more character. That's not to insult other songs.

I like a lot of songs with interesting chord progressions as well regardless of genre.

Oh, and I also like listening to whatever you'd call this.

• 3 weeks later...

I listen to just about everything. I come from a rock background; mostly 90s grunge/metal like Alice in Chains, Tool and Nirvana. Over the last 5 or 6 years I've opened myself up to all sorts of stuff like Dr. Dre, Hall & Oates, Michael Jackson, Hiromi Uehara, Chick Corea and more.

In the past couple of months I've MASSIVELY gotten into Earth Wind and Fire. As a guitarist I totally love Al McKay and Roland Bautista's playing style. I mean, just listen to this!

If what little I know about genres is enough reference to go by, I like Jazz, Funk (think along the lines of Funky from de Blob, though stuff like Funk Fiction is just as cool), House, Orchestral, Trance, and a little bit of Rock... My usual style kind of shows elements of Jazz and Rock especially I'd say, which is funny since Koji Kondo's stuff for Mario shows elements of Jazz and Rock too.

Ever since Super Mario 3D World I've had a thing for Jazz-Orchestral blends, and I have to say that's a really considerable favorite, but I might have to give the vote to Jazz and Funk here.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...