A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

A teaser for my project.

Nemox

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I was working on modifying Chishado's Lost World to make it more compatible with the proposed engine. It turns out the "water" is entirely seperate from the two pieces of main level, and thus the "water" shall leave in favor of a true fluid volume.

Expect my first project with the engine to be a "Best of BlitzSonic" compilation of ported and revised stages, including Chishado's stages, OzCrash's stages, and maybe more. I am also making a brand-new level, Enslaved Planet.

Water is pretty easy to manage with my system, albeit the visuals are lacking since I don't have Pro yet.  All you have to do to create a volume of water is attach the FluidVolume script, add a trigger collider, and put the object on the Water layer.

I still need to work more on water physics, but what I have now is functional enough.  Characters currently work based on the default rigidbody water physics I've scripted, and it has some bothersome limitations.

It would really be nice if I could open up the rigidbody class and tinker with it, but Unity isn't open-source.

This is made in Unity correct? Question, from the looks of your videos this plays very similarly to the Boost Era games. How easily would it be to tweak this to play closer to the Adventure games? Are we talking full out coding or just editing values?

It'll be as easy as tweaking values.  I'll even include a way to do so in the first tech demo.  I've managed to recreate a feeling similar to Generations, Unleashed, Adventure, and even Shadow and '06.

It'll be as easy as tweaking values.  I'll even include a way to do so in the first tech demo.  I've managed to recreate a feeling similar to Generations, Unleashed, Adventure, and even Shadow and '06.

Can you make a video of this? I'd love to see how it's shaping up.

I'll make stat editing a part of the demo menu.  It's one of the last things on my mind since it's so minor.  But yeah, I could do a video with some variable physics demonstrations.  Maybe I'll get Espio or something to demonstrate the traction system.

• Like 2

Kind of.  In terms of what's left to be worked on, there's not too huge an amount left.  I've just got a lot going on with school and other projects.  One project involving a fursuit which I have about a week to finish.  Possibly a second one after that (though that one would take much less time).  Could end up getting me some income, and thus more time for programming.  Better to get the hard stuff done first, ne?

I'll definitely try to get a tech demo out before the holidays.

It'll be as easy as tweaking values. I'll even include a way to do so in the first tech demo. I've managed to recreate a feeling similar to Generations, Unleashed, Adventure, and even Shadow and '06.

So something along the lines of the ISM system from Street Fighter Alpha?

Will you include Lost World and RoL systems as well?

So something along the lines of the ISM system from Street Fighter Alpha?

Will you include Lost World and RoL systems as well?

Dunno anything about Street Fighter, nor what RoL stands for.  A gravity system like Lost World is already mostly functional though.  I suppose eventually I could expand on it, but it's good for now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll try to get something together soon.  I've been swamped with homework, trying to catch up in a couple of classes.  Between language barriers, confusing online classrooms, and getting dropped from classes during important information days because the system didn't recognize me, I've had a tough time with classes.

Thankfully I've finished my big programming project, and hopefully it'll help me catch up in the class.  It's rather pitiful.  I should be getting an A+ in the class given my actual knowledge, but now I'm struggling just to pass.  What a mess.

Apart from that, I've only got one more big project for the semester:  A flash game.  I'm making a Final Fantasy battle with Tactics sprites.  Should be easy enough.  I'll share it with you all when it's done.

After I'm all caught up though, I'm going to start developing a game I can actually make some money on.  Since it'll use all the same programming as this Sonic project, I'll be kicking this project into overdrive. 

I am curious though.  My friend and I were thinking of doing something voxel-based for our original game.  What do you folks think about voxel levels and/or gameplay for Sonic?  Note, I'm referring to the smoothed type of voxels, not Minecraft cubes.

EDIT:  Just looked up some information about smoothed voxels.  Looks like that idea won't be happening for a really long time.  Still though, it's an interesting idea to ponder.

Edited by Nemox
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly I haven't even had time to finish the FF game.  I got the absolute bare minimum (character selection) done, and then was stuck with other projects.  And I thought the winter break would be some time away from the chaos of responsibilities, but I've still had my hands full dealing with family and a slow-as-Silver financial aid office (which still hasn't processed my loan for the previous semester).

I'm only just now getting some time to myself to work on it.

In positive news, I've now got a 360 Afterglow controller to test with.  I can actually feel what the controls are really like for once!  I've also decided to spend a couple days educating myself on overall game structure, as there are a few things here and there impeding my progress.  As such, I've downloaded the source code to a private WoW server emulator, and I'm going to read through it. Should be enlightening.

UPDATE:  Holy shit, it HAS been enlightening.  I now fully understand how to implement a good action system.  Only massive hurdle I can forsee at this point is networking, but I'll worry about that once the single-player alpha demo is done.

Edited by Nemox
  • Like 1