A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

A teaser for my project.

Nemox

UPDATE:

Just released my second teaser!  This update has a feature that's been confusing as hell to develop, but it's sooooo satisfying to play.  Essentially I've redone the animation "drive" for the character so that he'll be animated believably on both regular ground and ice, without separating the logic at all.  That's right!  The game has the best parts of Unleashed's physics, but based in unified logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zul0ixMcTGo

ORIGINAL:

'ey, I just uploaded a teaser for my project.  It's a bit rudimentary for now, but some of the biggest obstacles are done with now.  I hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09OcOGLvWoM&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Nemox
  • Like 6

Guest Mr Lange

Could be wrong but it appears to be BlitzSonic. If so then the level import/creation is superb, levels in BlitzSonic rarely maintain that level of graphical quality.

Could be wrong but it appears to be BlitzSonic. If so then the level import/creation is superb, levels in BlitzSonic rarely maintain that level of graphical quality.

I doubt it's Blitz, because, like you said, it's graphical fidelity is strong, especially since he casts real-time shadows.

i wish you were around when i was looking for a unity coder :(

I've kind of been "around" for some time, but my ADHD made it difficult for me to ever dedicate myself enough to finishing anything.  Now that I actually know what it is I'm gonna be getting some help with it.

But hey, this system will eventually (hopefully) be sort of the same vain as Sonic GDK; a game development kit for people to use.  If it makes it to that point, you'd be more than welcome to use it.

• Like 3

I LOVE YOU, MAN! I've been looking forever for Unity Sonic Engine! GDK? SCREW GDK! YOO-KNIT-AY!

I think I'm getting ahead of myself, let me take a breather.

OK, so GDK isn't that bad, Unreal is just too hard for me.

And I don't mean to put pressure on you, but damn, a Unity Sonic Engine would be... AWESOME.

Unreal is pretty un-intuitive in most ways, at least to me.  That said, the fact that Xaklse was able to make it work as a Sonic-style platformer is pretty amazing.

In UDK's favour though, it does have a lot of great pre-built stuff like fluid volumes.  That's something I'm still working on for my own game.  Still quite a bit more experimentation to do regarding the physics.  And the pricing model is nice.  Thankfully Unity will be getting a subscription model in the coming months.

Edited by Nemox

I've kind of been "around" for some time, but my ADHD made it difficult for me to ever dedicate myself enough to finishing anything.

Preach to the choir bro. I'm busting my hands trying to meet this July 4th deadline for my project reveals. Of course I'm getting stuff done, but I'm just have a rough time getting a massive amount done. Way to work around your ADHD. Let's cheer each other on yeah!

• Like 5

Guest Mr Lange

Unreal is pretty un-intuitive in most ways, at least to me.  That said, the fact that Xaklse was able to make it work as a Sonic-style platformer is pretty amazing.

Holy crap I'm not alone, someone agrees that UDK is a mess. It's the only reason I haven't bothered with Sonic GDK, I can't tolerate UDK for more than a minute. If you create and release an equivalent Unity engine, I promise you it'll be put to good use.

• Like 1

I've kind of been "around" for some time, but my ADHD made it difficult for me to ever dedicate myself enough to finishing anything.  Now that I actually know what it is I'm gonna be getting some help with it.

But hey, this system will eventually (hopefully) be sort of the same vain as Sonic GDK; a game development kit for people to use.  If it makes it to that point, you'd be more than welcome to use it.

Amazing so far! I dont use unity and already got locked in unreal for using for some years. But I would love to see a Unity Sonic Engine, so more people could start making 3d fan games. Since UDK is not so friendly sometimes, and some people really dont like or dont get accoustumed with its eccentricities. I really hope you suceed in doing it.

Huge kudos for using Unity instead of UDK. If you manage to make automatic camera and enemies that actually work then it'd be a №1 3D Sonic engine by far. Also you'd better reconsider using "Nexus" word in it's name. :)

Also glad to see sonic with good animations.

Edited by Felik

Thanks for all your comments, everyone!  It really does inspire me to keep going.  :icon_heart:

I had forgotten that "Sonic Nexus" was title already.  Nexus is the codename of a game concept thats been in my mind for some time, which is not directly associated with Sonic, but can include him.  I'll have to do some thinking.  Funny enough, since I'm using Unity I had also thought of using the name "Sonic United", just two weeks or so before SFGHQ merged with these forums.

In terms of controls, I'm going for a flexible system that can be used for all sorts of different gameplay styles, and currently depending on how the character stats are adjusted, it can recreate the feeling of several different games.  I'm aiming for Unleashed or Adventure in terms of basic running although the video itself is made to be more like Generations.  Even Sonic 06 or Shadow the Hedgehog-like physics can be done just by adjusting those variables.  I'll be working on actions and such fairly soon.

Boost will be available, but won't be a major focus.

For other types of gameplay, I really want to focus on the Adventure aspects.  I'll explain what that pertains to in future videos.

Looks like a great project! Did you use the port of BlitzSonic to Unity to develop this? I am also using the BlitzSonic Unity port to Unity to develop my fan-game as well: a port of "Sonic World" (a BlitzSonic game that truly captures the Dreamcast era feel) into Unity so it can run smoother, with some extra content. 

So if you're focusing on Adventure aspects, does that mean you want to make it control a lot like the SA games? And if so, does that include mechanics such as rolling/Spindashing?

Indeed; Spindashing is actually going to be the first action I create, once I can figure out how I want the action system to work.  Adventure and Unleashed are my main inspiration, but the variables could be tweaked enough to even mimic a Genesis feel.

The only difficulty is in knowing how I want to make the action system work.  There are a few options but they each come with some good and bad aspects.  I may end up going with the easiest option even though it might be slightly messier design.

Looks like a great project! Did you use the port of BlitzSonic to Unity to develop this? I am also using the BlitzSonic Unity port to Unity to develop my fan-game as well: a port of "Sonic World" (a BlitzSonic game that truly captures the Dreamcast era feel) into Unity so it can run smoother, with some extra content. 

Thanks!  It's actually 100% my own design.  Back when I was first learning I tried to understand BlitzSonic's systems but it was too difficult for me to read since I only know C-related stuff.  Over time I've analyzed many games' control scripting, but ultimately never used anything I learned from them.

Well, except Second Life.  I actually learned some great stuff from the scripting system, terrible as it might be.  Mostly regarding input and junk.

Will there be a method for this game to read your old BlitzSonic stages and play them in the new engine? I don't want my collection to go to waste.

I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it with all the other stuff I've got to work on first.  I'm not even quite sure whether the raw file formats could function without some work inside Unity itself, at which point it might be easier for users to simply build levels  from an asset library I intend to develop.

I'll do a little research once I get stable gameplay and a Unity Pro license, since both of those are necessary in the first place.

Addendum:  Scripting is really flexible in Unity, so if anyone else develops a level importer before I can get to it, I'd be happy to include it by default.

Edited by Nemox

I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it with all the other stuff I've got to work on first.  I'm not even quite sure whether the raw file formats could function without some work inside Unity itself, at which point it might be easier for users to simply build levels  from an asset library I intend to develop.

I'll do a little research once I get stable gameplay and a Unity Pro license, since both of those are necessary in the first place.

Addendum:  Scripting is really flexible in Unity, so if anyone else develops a level importer before I can get to it, I'd be happy to include it by default.

Currently, I'm editing the "Stage" script in neoshaman's BlitzSonic port into Unity so it can actually run better. When i'm finished with it, I'll give it to you.