A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Inspiration vs Imitation

I gotta have to say something about this : p

Yes i know,a lot in this game looks like its Copied from SB/ATS but i truly did NOT wanted to copy stuff from Lake.

Yeah,the Sprites looks the same but well,those are the best Sonic Sprites i found on the Internet and because of that i simply had to use them, (also i don't like to use original Sprites made from Sega (exa:Sonic 3)) and they are not even exactly the same,Lake quite edited them to fit his own Style.

If this really bothers you guys trough,i of course can change the Animations (like the Super Peel Out) to not look like its copied.

Yes i know,a lot in this game looks like its Copied from SB/ATS but i truly did NOT wanted to copy stuff from Lake.

Yeah,the Sprites looks the same but well,those are the best Sonic Sprites i found on the Internet and because of that i simply had to use them, (also i don't like to use original Sprites made from Sega (exa:Sonic 3)) and they are not even exactly the same,Lake quite edited them to fit his own Style.

If this really bothers you guys trough,i of course can change the Animations (like the Super Peel Out) to not look like its copied.

Listen man, if you really are that inspired by B/ATS, that's okay. It is good to change things up so you have your own style too though. You're not being a dirty plagiarist here, you're just inspired.

• Like 3

Ok let me be strait I quite like your game. I was just poking fun at Lange's comment, he seems to have good insight into things at times, but he is rather harsh in a lot of what he says. The key thing about my rant* is that everything was unversed all the positive things about it I stated as if they were negative things, and every thing negative about a game sonic game I praised.

First thing: Dont let any one tell you what you can an cannot be inspired off of

A/BTS totally came to my mind when I was playing because a/bts Sonic is totally not taken from any source, and is the only fan game of its kind that doesn't edit or re-use sprites,"

A/BTS was no where near my mind when I played the game. I dont know why anyone would be hung up on A/BTS; when a/bts itself its not 100% original graphics it's a collection of edits, made to make his game unique. Many Sonic fan games or fan games in general borrow sprites so I think it was wrong for Lange to accost you about that stuff, or any one else for that matter. You use what you want, until you can get or do better. Overture isn't exempt from the borrowing world so it wrong for one of its staff to throw rocks, when he himself is in a glass house.

My opinion about that sonic is that, it looks good and works well with your game why change it?

You should feel proud of what you've done, and always be ready to defend yourself. Prove to "us" why this fits better. It's your vision dude, embrace it!

(i got more to say but i'll stop here)

^^Yeah i know.

Anyways,i wanted to ask ya guys,watcha think about this background i made for an zone that will appear in the game:

bgwood.gif

Looks nice

Edited by Pulse0
  • Like 2

You know, I just wanna say something about all of this.

You can't join together inspiration and copying as if they're the same thing, They're not. There's a very clear line between inspired and copying. If you create a game that just has a similar aesthetic or style but is still original in concepts and elements, or even a completely unique game because another game motivated you, that's inspiration. If you straight up copy elements like graphics and concepts, then tweak them a bit and call it yours, that's copying, and that's essentially what you're doing.

Overture isn't exempt from the borrowing world so it wrong for one of its staff to throw rocks, when he himself is in a glass house.

Overture works directly from the source material while Reborn copies and imitates an existing fangame. Overture's graphics are 100% original (and do not attempt to imitate someone else's project) save for obvious fundamental features such as, well, Sonic himself. Reborn's graphics are various things copied and imitated from someone else's fangame. Those are not the same kinds of "borrowing". We're not in a glass house, we're in a stainless steel house if you know what I mean.

Please, don't let your "inspirations" directly lead the project, I've been in that territory with Sonic from The Beginning. I'll admit, looking back at that, I'm not proud of it at all, I'm actually ashamed of it. (I'm sure most of you remember it, don't lie to yourselves, it was terrible). I'm glad I didn't go the "rip-off/harcore inspiration" route, and thus ended up making a product with heart and honest intent.

Here's this for instance:

Sonic From the Beginning (LakeFeperd "inspired", often called a rip-off)

F5CPtFa.png

Sonic Overture (Once it stopped being "inspired" by Lake)

mxvbAhT.png

Now compare these images and and think about it, I hope you see my point.

Another thing, you don't need skill to be original. Overture could have one fourth the skill in it's artwork and it would still be just as original, and an imitation could have four times the skill and still be just as much an imitation.

I'd SERIOUSLY reconsider what you're doing, I've been in your place, and I know how it feels, trust me when I say it's NOT the way to go.

• Like 5

I do think Lange was being a tad harsh in some areas, but in general, what he said has rung very true with my own experience of this game. The menus are beatiful, as is the loading screen and the level itself feels original until it starts introducing Hilltop Heights elements.

HOWEVER,

Everything that was said about the physics is correct; Sonic feels dreadful to control and his jogging sprites are horribly misaligned; I know the latter can be hard, so don't be afraid to ask for help. The physics, however, really need to be redone; Sonic just feels really clunky with an impractical jump. Finally, the level design is good for the most part but becomes utter drivel in some places, so once again, don't be afraid to ask for help.

To conclude, this project certainly has potential, especially in it's menu aesthetics (so kudos to the art team for that), but there are glaring problems that need to be fixed. You're doing well, but you could do better, so try and push yourself! ;)

While I wish not to be a backseat mod here, I feel there is something that should be said which I feel no rules should have reason to interfere with; we all need to calm the fuck down over here. Yes, both Pulse0 and Lange have been harsh on this game, the former having been completely irrational, but the mod response in Lange's case is not helping, I find; editing someone else's post is not going to better teach them how to critique, it just comes off as "I think your opinion is garbage."

As well as this, dragging other fan games into this argument and questioning them is just asking for trouble; while you guys may have formed your opinions on Overture, it is imperative to remember it is still a WIP, so bringing it into here without even first-hand playtime will not prove nor solve anything.

Once again, I am not trying to be a backseat mod here, I am just stating my opinion in a structured and civilised way, something which I'm confident is not against the rules and thus it is sensible and accepted for me to do so.

That is all I have to say on this matter.

You know, I just wanna say something about all of this....

First things first: After reading your statement i feel like im reading your version of Lange's words over a skypechat we had. of which could only mean... i thingk that Lange has brought to you the things we said.

1st) Copying and Inspiration can be put in the same boat but like you said they are not the same, Ive been an artist for all of my life and grown from different phases and seen others higher and lower than I. Copying is the result of replication; Inspiration is the result of taking elements from a source, both have levels equivalent to which extent each are executed, and do not have clear lines. If some one were to copy lightly many would say he's inspired, if someone were to use much of they're inspiration its seen as copying.

Example: Starwars - Eragon

If you straight up copy elements like graphics and concepts, then tweak them a bit and call it yours, that's copying, and that's essentially what you're doing.

(as a defense) I can very much accuse the overture team of doing the same thing. An many of you may be upset for me to say that. but its how you go about presenting makes the difference in peoples mind. Example: Super Mario 3d Land vs Super Mario 3d World - when 3d world was announced many people called it a copy of the former. I looked like a fool for a while defending it but in the end I was absolutely correct.

Sharing identifiable visual elements does NOT make it copied, and that's something thing that something that needs to be learned in this community.

(yes it is frowned upon but still not necessarily a ripoff - busby had different graphics - rocket knight too, but those are seen as clones)

2) (For argument sake) I can argue and say that Overture just copied from official concept, and isn't Original.

Like BtS it is a Prequel - Strike 1 (a concept that has been done over and over, unoriginal)

It takes Exact elements from the unused concepts - Strike 2 (you can say its The Source all you want but the fact that its tweaked element directly taken from a source, not inspired, directly taken and modified a bit)

Overture uses the same sprites as seen in other fan-games - Strike 3 (Why couldn't you make your own sonic? Doesn't matter if its official or not, you didn't make them)

To clarify fan games to me are just unlicensed/unacknowledged games by their respective copyright holder, its apart of the franchise its just non-cannon, and if at any point the official company backs said game its no longer a fan-game its an official game.   ex: Rockman X Street fighter (Capcom approved) so if you come from left field and say "well count using sonic too" as copying, that's a ludicrous point to make cause then your no longer in the franchise. 

There are more things I can say but just note I'm not bashing you or your game either. I'm a saying a case can be brought against your game if someone felt to. Your house is glass too, there are things that your both guilty of (hence glass house), regardless of how you do it vs the other. there is also the fact we still yet to see a demo from you guys. What if Overture turns out to be like Aliens C.M. that game looked promising too; and the members of the team hyped it up too, What if people out side of this forum play it and think its sonic Gemini 2 or a Time twisted clone. Your the developer it not for you to decide what we will think of it, like wise you cant readily accuse someone of cloning another fan-game its only 1 level, with 3 sharing elements out of the 20 you see on screen; not mention those elements can be defended, and given all the elements in the game its not a big team.

Please, don't let your inspirations directly lead the project

This is true

Overture could have one fourth the skill in it's artwork and it would still be just as original, and an imitation could have four times the skill and still be just as much an imitation.

And this could be true - BUT if Ovature is unoriginal it can hide it with skill and will be perceived as Original; And if Reborn is Original poor skill can lead to people calling it a clone. For example average Joe scrolling trough a list of games with only one screen shot. Overture has been made to copy sonic Fusion - Reborn is completely original in sound and level design, features etc. But Overture is originally spirited from the ground up nothing in overture has ever been seen before in any sonic game graphically, while Reborn reuses sprites and tiles from Fusion. 9/10 times the Overture will get more praise and not be considered a clone off the bat. (you can only stretch a 2d sonic game so far)

As well as this, dragging other fan games into this argument and questioning them is just asking for trouble

Wasn't my intention by the way - I feel the fan game Lange is working is guilty of SOME of the things he states against Reborn, in its own way. I'm not insulting the game I'm just saying its not cool to go about things the way he did valid or not.

-------------------------------------------------

MY MAIN POINT

Reborn has yet to be seen as a copy.

Overture has yet to be seen as original.

Give these game a chance to show us_ visual elements and word of mouth dont cut it.

IM NOT INSULTING ANY ONE!

And i hope I'm not getting likes on my over the top harsh "rant" b/c people are taking me literally. That's a bad sign if you are.

(im done with this pointing fingers/defending/accosting/rebuttal craziness_ if some one wants an apology from me - I'm sorry - Like infinity alex can we ditch this "grudge match" and focus on this topic and this game for its own merits) sigh*

Edited by Pulse0

@Pulse0

You have a very good argument, except for that comparison with Fusion, I didn't really get it, haha.

About the Sonic sprites in Overture, we in fact, had plans to make pre-rendered Sonic sprites early in development using the 3D Model Lange made, however, we decided to stick with modified Sonic 1 sprites with custom animations (the animations are smoother) as they were more fitting with the theme of the game. And to be honest, yeah, I can see why someone would call it unoriginal, as what we've shown so far points to that because of the concept art thing we're doing. But trust me when I say there's plenty of "original" zones in the game to make the game feel more balanced in terms of levels.

But enough about Overture, I didn't mean to bring it in into the discussion to brag or anything of that kind, just as an example of how games can improve if you're not so focused on your "inspirations".

Overall, I don't think Reborn is a bad game, I ABSOLUTELY adore the presentation of the menus, it's from the best I've seen in a fangame, it's really good. The "ruin" parts of the level shown seem taken straight from Horizon Heights, and the physics are REALLY floaty and Sonic is hard to control, specially while in the air. But honestly, I do see a lot of potential, and wish it would not be spent trying to look like a Lake game, intentionally or not. I'm saying this because of previous experiences.

Uh... why people are taking the fact that this is based of ATS/BTS as a bad thing? I just want to get this clear: I'm FINE with poeple copying, getting inspired and/or ripping off ANYTHING from my SONIC FAN GAMES games.

i'm no creator, my ideas always come from somewhere, for an exanple: the boss battle, also from sonic advance 2.
Even if this guy is making a fan game out of a fan game, the ideas present in BTS/ATS are not owned by me by any means, they are just ideas.

Alrighty, so... In my oppinion, originality, accurate sonic mechanics or anything else people make a big deal about. Is NOT what making a fan game is all about, for me, making a fan game is about learning how to make a game, you can be unoriginal as far as you want, that is NOT A PROBLEM, as long as you learn something.

So, for the guy working on this. Keep up the work man.
Although i haven't played the game yet, i'll try later whem you upload it to another download page, like mediafire or dropbox.

Oh, don't mind my typos, they are everywhere.

• Like 9

Lake hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. I was going to chime in earlier before going to work about this but he really said all that needed to be said. These are fan games guys - and while it is nice to have pride in your fan games and make them to the best of your ability there is no reason to pretend what we do here is original in the slightest. All the games here use assets and ideas from a well established franchise. It's about learning how to work towards making a game as Lake put it. 

I think the thing is to just play nice kiddos, 'cause we're all here to make cool games and art and stuff together. I think there has been a lot of derisiveness around here lately and while I don't expect everything to be all peachy all of the time (I know I've been a bit of a dick here and there in the past myself :P) I think we should start giving each other a little more respect. A good community isn't going to thrive out of everyone being at each other's throats! So let's all take a chill pill and make some games.

• Like 1

1st) Copying and Inspiration can be put in the same boat but like you said they are not the same, Ive been an artist for all of my life and grown from different phases and seen others higher and lower than I. Copying is the result of replication; Inspiration is the result of taking elements from a source, both have levels equivalent to which extent each are executed, and do not have clear lines. If some one were to copy lightly many would say he's inspired, if someone were to use much of they're inspiration its seen as copying.Sharing identifiable visual elements does NOT make it copied, and that's something thing that something that needs to be learned in this community.

Well, sure, copying and inspiration are not the same, but what is the line that defines what is a copy, and what is an inspired original? You could say they're subjective, but there are objective things we can assess. Ripple Dot Zero and Freedom Planet are good examples of inspiration. They start with the feel and aesthetic of something, and create originality from that. An imitation is when something just flat out copies bits and pieces of something else and tries to pass it off as its own thing. There can be grey areas where opinion is a factor, and that's fine, it's human to agree to disagree.

In an objective point of view, however, that's not the case. You can't say that a dissonant harmony is correct in theory because it's just your opinion - there's a theory and doctrine to work off of, and to break that... is, unfortunately, professionally wrong.

That's the point I'm getting at, here - there's gotta be an objective viewpoint, or there's a chance the aforementioned inspired originals would not have passed the radars. (Also, copyright law would be haywire.) I can't say for myself that I know where this objective line is... But what I can say, however, is that when compared to the likes of Freedom Planet or even After the Sequel, this game's certainly a more risky affair. To compare with the latter, being a fellow fangame, AtS starts with basics from the source and creates a bunch of original art and ideas - Reborn, however is copying bits from AtS, or imitating large pieces of it, backing it up with substantially less original ideas.

I'm not trying to condemn this fangame for having inspiration from/copying the After/Before the Sequel duology - I'm trying to recommend adding your own touch of creativity into the inspired mix to make said inspired product yours, and truly yours.

As LakeFeperd has said, the auto-scrolling boss battles were inspired by Sonic Advance 2 - inspiration from a basic concept. I'm not saying anything against that; it's fine, fun and perfectly normal!

And that's because he, taking concepts into account, added his own creativity in the form of original bosses, effectively making a new and original twist on an existing concept. It's inspired, but inherently original.

But, being a Sonic fangame, he worked from the source. It's not the same as taking Lake's inspired idea and then twisting that into your game, so to speak.

That's all I'm saying about this - Inspiration is perfectly fine. I wouldn't be anywhere without it, in my own career as a musician. What I'm saying, however, is that you need to work from your own creativity and ideas instead of directly copying, and make it truly yours.

I'm not sure about you, but I don't particularly feel like playing what is basically a mishmash of ideas taken straight from sources, after all.

Again, I'm not trying to discourage you, DarkchaoX10. The short answer is that inspiration is fine, and is perfectly normal - but it's also recommended at the same time that you put your own creativity into the mix so that it becomes yours, and inherently yours.

Edited by Can of Nothing
  • Like 1

Guest Mr Lange
2) (For argument sake) I can argue and say that Overture just copied from official concept, and isn't Original.

Like BtS it is a Prequel - Strike 1 (a concept that has been done over and over, unoriginal)

It takes Exact elements from the unused concepts - Strike 2 (you can say its The Source all you want but the fact that its tweaked element directly taken from a source, not inspired, directly taken and modified a bit)

Overture uses the same sprites as seen in other fan-games - Strike 3 (Why couldn't you make your own sonic? Doesn't matter if its official or not, you didn't make them)

What you're trying to do is say Overture is unoriginal in the same way Reborn is unoriginal just because they both have a material basis, and that doesn't work. Sonic Overture is a Sonic fangame, it's supposed to be based on the source material. That is the granted dimension of "unoriginality" to be expected from a fangame, along with reusing assets from the source. It's what the fangame developers do from there that makes an original project.

Sonic Reborn is supposed to be a Sonic fangame, yet it copies material from another fangame. Is Reborn an ATS fangame? No, it's a Sonic fangame. It should be sticking to its roots, then branching off from there. Copying ATS material, particularly when it's not even ATS based, is where it becomes the wrong kind of unoriginal. That's when it becomes an imitation.

And this could be true - BUT if Ovature is unoriginal it can hide it with skill and will be perceived as Original; And if Reborn is Original poor skill can lead to people calling it a clone. For example average Joe scrolling trough a list of games with only one screen shot. Overture has been made to copy sonic Fusion - Reborn is completely original in sound and level design, features etc. But Overture is originally spirited from the ground up nothing in overture has ever been seen before in any sonic game graphically, while Reborn reuses sprites and tiles from Fusion. 9/10 times the Overture will get more praise and not be considered a clone off the bat. (you can only stretch a 2d sonic game so far)

This is something I consider a bit of an insult. Not just to Overture, but everyone. We're not trying to bury unoriginality in skillful art and trying to sell it as original, we would never do that. And if we did, you'd be saying that people would be too dazzled to notice it being a ripoff of something, which questions everyone else's intelligence. As Jass said earlier, the level of artwork quality has no bearing on originality, they are independent forces, and we would be damned if we ever tried to "mask" a ripoff with skillful art. That would be as despicable as it would be an enormous waste of time and effort. However, this again begs the issue that no one can say much of anything about Overture until the public has played it.

Uh... why people are taking the fact that this is based of ATS/BTS as a bad thing? I just want to get this clear: I'm FINE with poeple copying, getting inspired and/or ripping off ANYTHING from my SONIC FAN GAMES games.

you can be unoriginal as far as you want, that is NOT A PROBLEM, as long as you learn something.

I figured you were fine with this anyway. The issue is not about permission as much as it is integrity. The creator of Reborn will not learn anything if he maintains this guise of denial about noticing any similarities to ATS or why that would not be a good thing to do. Sure, he can do what he's doing, that does not mean he should. He should be exploring his own artistic vision instead of leaning on someone else's to prop up his project. Jass implored him not to go this route. Why do you think that is? Things to think about.

Yeah, the game will become more original over time. Similar to how Overture is evolving into something truly spectacular.

Overture didn't exactly evolve from FtB. More so FtB was scrapped and Overture started from a different path entirely. We weren't aiming to make FtB more original, which would just be like diluting a beverage. We wanted to start from scratch on something that didn't have any imitative qualities. Reborn doesn't have to be scrapped, but there's a lot of things that could use some serious revision.

I think the thing is to just play nice kiddos, 'cause we're all here to make cool games and art and stuff together. I think there has been a lot of derisiveness around here lately and while I don't expect everything to be all peachy all of the time (I know I've been a bit of a dick here and there in the past myself :P) I think we should start giving each other a little more respect. A good community isn't going to thrive out of everyone being at each other's throats! So let's all take a chill pill and make some games.

And this has to be the biggest misconception at all, that we're all somehow "at each other's throats" or, as Pulse put it, that we're in some kind of "grudge match". Where is this coming from? There is no such thing happening (unless some individual here is angry or has a grudge...?). This is a civil debate about the ethics of inspiration vs imitation and where the lines are. This is NOT some kind of hostile argument or war, nor is it an attack on the game or its creator. I don't know how to make that any more clear.

• Like 4

And this has to be the biggest misconception at all, that we're all somehow "at each other's throats" or, as Pulse put it, that we're in some kind of "grudge match". Where is this coming from? There is no such thing happening (unless some individual here is angry or has a grudge...?). This is a civil debate about the ethics of inspiration vs imitation and where the lines are. This is NOT some kind of hostile argument or war, nor is it an attack on the game or its creator. I don't know how to make that any more clear.

I will concede that the discussion as of right now is civil - it wasn't before though. There is just a way to word things properly without being a jerk and I've noticed it increasing over the last few months. I will agree that most of the fighting here isn't out of a grudge match because I personally don't even see it like that. A lot of what I've been noticing seems to stem from of a lack of tact when putting thoughts down into words. I won't start posting specifics but I've seen a bunch of small jabs that have been going on for a while and then it prompts other people to respond that way in kind, usually in an overly sarcastic way which doesn't help aid any sort of discussion. A fair bit of deleted/edited posts have been resulting 'cause of this lately and even warnings have been doled out, none of which I think anyone really wants.

However I will suggest this discourse on inspiration and imitation belongs in a new thread - feel free to start one up. That way we're not all clogging up this thread here with this discussion. I think it's a fair one to have but I don't think someone's fangame topic is necessarily the place to do it.

Guest Mr Lange

However I will suggest this discourse on inspiration and imitation belongs in a new thread - feel free to start one up. That way we're not all clogging up this thread here with this discussion. I think it's a fair one to have but I don't think someone's fangame topic is necessarily the place to do it.

I agree that this is now due for it's own thread, but before anyone says otherwise, this is still technically all on topic. This debate is happening over Reborn, and that which is debated is applying to it, so it is all part of the analysis and support for that project.

I agree that this is now due for it's own thread, but before anyone says otherwise, this is still technically all on topic. This debate is happening over Reborn, and that which is debated is applying to it, so it is all part of the analysis and support for that project.

I'm not saying it is off topic - I just feel that this discussion is growing quite large and is going to overtake this thread pretty quick, plus the debate keeps getting broader with each post (a lot of mentioning of Overture by this point) so it might as well just have its own thread. I'm not saying you guys are doing anything wrong by debating it here - it just would fit better in my opinion in a new thread.

Just because some resources look the same,it doesnt mean that i actually copied them from AtS,as an example,most of the game/sprites sprites has been made/used before AtS was even announced.

Also i totaly dont want to make it some kind of AtS fangame,you guys will see that in later versions,i'm going to take my own way in gameplay wise and i guess i will remake some of the sprites to make them not look like their are copied. ; D

• Like 1

I used to worry about imitating others a lot. Going out of my way to not look at things for fear of imitating them. Overtime what I found though is imitating others leads to inspiration and I opened myself to a wealth of knowledge that the person I am imitating has, instead of avoiding it out of fear. Opening myself to that knowledge and letting go of the fear made me learn things much faster.

• Like 1

I used to worry about imitating others a lot. Going out of my way to not look at things for fear of imitating them. Overtime what I found though is imitating others leads to inspiration and I opened myself to a wealth of knowledge that the person I am imitating has, instead of avoiding it out of fear. Opening myself to that knowledge and letting go of the fear made me learn things much faster.

That was. . like the opposite of inspirational. .

"imitating others instead of being myself ultimately ended up freeing my mind and teaching me not to avoid copying others out of fear, and granting me knowledge and self-respect that I had never known before I started imitating!"

As a sprite artist, and a game and story designer, I try to avoid unoriginal ideas as much as I can.

I believe if you have a good idea, it should stand alone as it's own thing. People might say "Hey! This reminds me of (Ristar, or NiGHTS for example). . " but it only FEELS like it. It doesn't take anything FROM the game. But since it was inspired from the game, the energy it gives off draws parallels to the original idea it was inspired from.

Another thing: If you aren't actively TRYING to borrow ideas, you should feel no guilt about making something. Don't try to AVOID SEEING EVERYTHING BECAUSE GEE GOLY GOSH PEOPLE WILL THINK I'M STEALING IF IT HAS SOME SIMILARITIES. It's perfectly fine to watch or play something and be inspired from it, but in my mind, the line is drawn when your project is no longer an original concept inspired by a feel or style, and instead directly copies elements from something else, even if you go so far as to change some elements to make them your own and try to mix them in with the original flavor (like if you recolor a sprite and call it a different character than the one it's recolored from), it makes the whole recipe taste conflicting, and poorly-made and makes it taste awful. . They just don't mix. And they can't mix; and any amount of tweaking to the recipe will not make it taste any less cheap and flimsy.

No good idea can exist without inspiration

Things that become lazy edits of other ideas and hide behind "inspiration" as a crutch feel very half-hearted and unimaginative as a result.

Hi. I'm Pix ^-^

• Like 1

Hm, OK;

In my game, you will experience 2D gameplay with a homing attack; nothing new here, but this is a common feature.

Also, I have taken direct inspiration from Sonic 4 for the title screen while changing up a few things as an intentional nod.

However, I initially used tiles and a boss concept from Sonic XG. While the latter was not intentional as I didn't know about the boss' existence, this is still direct imitation.

And that's how you draw a line.

• Like 1

Just because some resources look the same,it doesnt mean that i actually copied them from AtS,as an example,most of the game/sprites sprites has been made/used before AtS was even announced.

Also i totaly dont want to make it some kind of AtS fangame,you guys will see that in later versions,i'm going to take my own way in gameplay wise and i guess i will remake some of the sprites to make them not look like their are copied. ; D

As a matter of fact yes, alot of the sprites used, or were based off of, have been made before the games respective releases. Now I'm strictly speaking about the character sprites. Mainly Sonic, Tails, and Eggman.

Sonic, if I'm not mistaken (and I might be because it's been awhile since I played BTS/ATS/Chrono Advent), one of Lakes games uses sprites based off of the Classic Sonic Booster Sheet hosted on the Modern Genesis website. Shinbs also has worked on this since this sheet has been posted and modified the style to look fairly better. Now, strictly speaking of this example, the original idea behind the purpose of the Modern Genesis topics were to create a better set of sprites that spriters and comic makers could use. In recent years, this definition has expanded to include fangames as well.

What I'm getting at, anything that looks like Modern Genesis styled sprites that is used in a fan game shouldn't treated as an unoriginal idea. Those sprites are what the creators and contributors of the Modern Genesis Project suggest you use, but don't necessarily have to use.

PS: To boot, look at the Eggman Booster Sheet icon here. Do they look familiar?

Alright, this is what I would personally call an imitation. (A B/ATS Imitation)

This was only shown to a handful of people, it was made right before FtB got scrapped and we started to work on Overture.

So tell me, how many elements from the Sequel games can you see here? (Hint: There's a lot)

Now, would you guys ever want to play what was basically a water downed version of the Sequel games? I wasn't kidding when I said I the project was going the wrong way.

Edited by Jassbec

• 2 months later...