A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic vs Darkness - True Nightmare Revived

ehbb6.jpg

Sonic vs Darkness - True Nightmare Revived

Powered by Sol Engine V2 on Game Maker 8.0

Introducing a Sonic fan game titled Sonic vs Darkness - True Nightmare Revived created by yours truly. Sonic vs Darkness T.N.R. is a remake of my very first Sonic fan game Sonic vs Darkness, which began as a sprite-animated Sonic series project on YouTube. This fan game features two playable characters Sonic the Hedgehog and Shadow the Hedgehog, and 7 different stages inspired by the stages from the original fan game. The game will also feature comic-style cut-scenes that appear as you progress through the game. You are also able to purchase power-ups & shields from the Item Shop while in the HUB Area. Like the original version, the gameplay style is inspired by modern Sonic games Sonic Rush and Sonic Unleashed. Including Super Smash Brothers Melee/Brawl (All-Star Mode). Release date of the official demo will likely be around the time of the SAGExpo 2014 Act 2 Event. Stick around to see more updates!

- Storyline -

Sonic and Shadow must collect all of the Chaos Emeralds before Dr. Eggman's creation Project Erubis grabs hold of them to spread eternal darkness around the world. More coming soon...

- Images -

Menus

2v3q3o2.png

Resting Base HUB

qna0rm.png

Tutorial Stage

50o5k8.png

Nightlite Paradise Stage

15rcu8j.png

Title Cards

246vz2b.png

Result Screen

6th085.png

- Videos -

Development of Sonic vs Darkness T.N.R using the Sol Engine V1

Tutorial Stage

- Soundtrack -

The OST is currently a WIP, but there are many tracks for you to enjoy.

It consists of 2 original tracks and 8 remixed tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/nekkosu/sets/sonic-vs-darkness-tnr-ost

Every track is composed by nekkosu (Nefault1st)

- SvD:TNR Credits -

Creator & Programmer - Nefault1st

Artwork & Gimmick Spriters - Nefault1st (Kainoso) & Goncas (Goncas23)

*including original backgrounds and sprites from official Sonic games © SEGA®

Music Composer - Nefault1st (nekkosu)

Stage Designer - Nefault1st

Cut-scene Artists - Nefault1st (Kainoso) & Genesismax [pending]

- Sol Engine V1 & V2 Credits -

The Sol Engine originated from the first release of the Sonic Revival Engine.

Creator of the Sonic Revival Engine - Chaos Rush

Physics Engine - Damizean

To receive updates from me, please check out these links & subscribe!

-YouTube Channel-

-DeviantArt Page-

-SoundCloud Page-

-Facebook Page-

Check out my other games here!

Edited by Nefault1st
  • Like 10

Looks really good but I strongly recommend you to settle for making one fangame at once. With two (or more) projects in development you are extremely unlikely to get anywhere with any of them.

Edited by Felik

@Felik Thanks! Yeah that's understandable lol but don't worry I know the risks  :)

@SonicFan2010 Hopefully it will be much more enjoyable, thanks for the post!

@Valeev Much appreciated mate, I do hope I release this in time!

@Lightthehedgehog Thank you! For this game I actually focused more on the special effects and overall appearance. Currently I'm designing more gimmicks and improving the physics. I really do hope you enjoy the game  :)

@Riseodvi Aw sorry to see that was all that caught your attention D: but thanks for the post!

This looks pretty cool man. I'm not usually big on more modern inspired fangames but this one looks to be embracing the concept quite well, loving the idea of the action chain as well. It feels like you are really going pretty 'arcade'-ish with the whole system and it looks neat.

This looks pretty cool man. I'm not usually big on more modern inspired fangames but this one looks to be embracing the concept quite well, loving the idea of the action chain as well. It feels like you are really going pretty 'arcade'-ish with the whole system and it looks neat.

Thank you! I'm glad you like the action chain idea, I really enjoyed that gimmick during the days I played Sonic Unleashed on the Wii. It should replicate it perfectly.

@Pulse0 It's likely going to be Eggman bosses mixed with bosses infected by Project Erubis. Nothing about the style of the boss battle is official yet but so far I imagine there will be Sonic Advance 2 styled boss battles with the infected. I've seen many mistakes so I will try to avoid any as best as I can.

@InfinityAlex Shhhh...don't spoil anything c:

Edited by Nefault1st

I'm looking forward to this one bro. Is the whole game going to be released? Or is the going to be a demo. Either way I'm really excited. :D I do have 2 questions though. 

1. Why are you crediting yourself in third person lol

2. I noticed the controls menu displays buttons for a xbox controller. Will it change if a ps3 controller is connected?

I'm looking forward to this one bro. Is the whole game going to be released? Or is the going to be a demo. Either way I'm really excited. :D I do have 2 questions though. 

1. Why are you crediting yourself in third person lol

2. I noticed the controls menu displays buttons for a xbox controller. Will it change if a ps3 controller is connected?

I wish it was the full game lol but no just a small demo :(

To answer your questions, I wrote this at 2 different times so I never really looked back at the first line I wrote lol

And Pulse0 is correct, but it's also due to the fact that it only worked for a few people after remapping the controls, so I'm removing the PS3 controller option and sticking with keyboard and 360 to avoid any hassle.

(Note: I had Salom Adventure automatically set the controller to 360 or ps3 whenever any external controller is detected, but due to false accusations of me using the 360 interface as the main interface I removed that feature)

Edited by Nefault1st

• 5 months later...

It's been a few months since I've released the Sonic vs Darkness demo at SAGE 2014 Act 2, many updates have been made since then. But what's been updated? There's quite a lot so here's a list of update log videos. 

*Update Log #1*

*Update Log #2*

*Update Log #3*

I will continue to post these update videos when possible if anyone is interested in the progress. There will be plenty more of these to come.

• Like 7

Everything's so gorgeous ^^. I love seeing games with so much time and effort; you're really pushing beyond limits  :iamafuckingtool: !

I'm a gamer who actually prefers more gimmicks - at least, adding more gimmicks periodically in order to change the gameplay a bit (being stage-based, as you said). It's definitely something that games like the modern Mario games lack. Also, these item shops are so new to me in a Sonic game, fan-made or official xD; seems pretty interesting though :).

I really look forward to more  ;) !

Everything's so gorgeous ^^. I love seeing games with so much time and effort; you're really pushing beyond limits  :iamafuckingtool: !

I'm a gamer who actually prefers more gimmicks - at least, adding more gimmicks periodically in order to change the gameplay a bit (being stage-based, as you said). It's definitely something that games like the modern Mario games lack. Also, these item shops are so new to me in a Sonic game, fan-made or official xD; seems pretty interesting though :).

I really look forward to more  ;) !

Hey thanks! I really enjoy it when games introduce new gimmicks that fit the theme of the stage, and I feel that it really makes the stages stand out from each other. It was something that I've always overlooked when it came to designing them.

Also with the stage designs, I'm hoping that it will make some of the items in the shop more useful. I'm hoping the same with the new enemy life bars.