A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Hedgehog - Reborn

So i trought i make a topic about my current fangame i'm working on since a while...

It's called Sonic Reborn and it plays 3 years after Sonic 3.The game will be programmed with Game Maker 8 and uses the Blue Hedgehog Engine!

Story of the Game:

WORK IN PROGRESS :P

Screenshots and Videos:

sonicrebornnewest42014-06-1122.png

The Team:

Darkchaox100 - Team Leader/ Developer.
Natascha W./HeroChaox100 - Level Designer,Programmer.
Karl Brueggeman - Music Composer.
Sean 'Lone Echidna' Evans - Music Composer.
The Symphonic Games - Music Composer.
Marioman574 - Ideas,tips and Music Composer.
VirtualSonic/Dimpsy - Ideas and fixes.
r543BlitzSonic - Fixes.
The Mod.Gen Team - Sonic/Tails/Amy/Robotnik Sprites.
The Sonic Fan Dev Guild Team - Coding help.
Goncas Lopes - Title Designer.
Black Ace - Coding help.
Supa_Omega  & ShadowBladeZ - Coding help and ideas.

Features:

- Genesis Music. (The Spike wips music is a placeholder)

- Gamepad Support (soon also Wiimote support)

- DLCs! (1 is included in the demo)

- Achievements (not in Demo 1)

- much more

Downloads:

Demo 1: Download Here at Dropbox !

Future Demos/Versions will include/have:

-Fixed Physics.

-Fixed Level Design.

-New Enemy Sprites.

-Lot More.

Edited by DarkchaoX10
  • Like 4

What is it with you people and not using Mediafire? (I'm not gonna use a download manager, they ALWAYS give me adware.)

The game looks really nice from those screens though, I like the rain, in what I guess is Act 2?

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 3

I have c... internet rightnow,and because of that,speedyshare was the only hosting site that worked for me.I normaly use Mediafire for all my files.

Edit:

@Jassbec,you dont need to use a download manager...simply use this link:

www.speedyshare.com/HEKhA/download/Demo-for-ya.zip

Or press the link next to the big DOWNLOAD: at the begining of the site.

Edited by DarkchaoX10

Really liked what I played. Music is a bit unusual for a Sonic game but still pretty enjoyable. Level design is very good but it could have some work. It's pretty generic with no special gimmicks. Enemy placement is frustrating at times to the point when I was becoming afraid to run at top speed. Rolling doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

Other than these it's a really enjoyable demo, looking forward to play more of your game.

Also next time don't rush uploading the demo and do some work to exclude parts which are not meant to be seen and test for random error (like boss music not being included).

Really liked what I played. Music is a bit unusual for a Sonic game but still pretty enjoyable. Level design is very good but it could have some work. It's pretty generic with no special gimmicks. Enemy placement is frustrating at times to the point when I was becoming afraid to run at top speed. Rolling doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

Other than these it's a really enjoyable demo, looking forward to play more of your game.

Also next time don't rush uploading the demo and do some work to exclude parts which are not meant to be seen and test for random error (like boss music not being included).

Yeah i know about the rush part...my friends asked so many times for a demo, that i just made the current version of the game as an executable xP I gonna update this demo and fix several things ; D

About the enemy placement,i hate to place the enemys,i never find a good place to add them : /

but i will fix that in later demos.

"Rolling doesn't work the way it's supposed to."

What do you mean by that?

Edited by DarkchaoX10

Hey I already played it for about two days ago and on SAGE Act 1. And already left my feedback to him in Skype.
Anyway, this demo is all way better then last time. Beautiful stages, nice music and interesting new gameplay features like Wisp-style.. things. I don't know how they are named. This game remind me Sonic BTS/ATS for some reason. One thing that I am worrying about is how many dlls and functions are activated, I hope this is will not affect to performance.

Hey I already played it for about two days ago and on SAGE Act 1. And already left my feedback to him in Skype.

Anyway, this demo is all way better then last time. Beautiful stages, nice music and interesting new gameplay features like Wisp-style.. things. I don't know how they are named. This game remind me Sonic BTS/ATS for some reason. One thing that I am worrying about is how many dlls and functions are activated, I hope this is will not affect to performance.

Thats why the dll CleanMem.dll is also available,it will be activated in each room and after each room ending,so possible performance drops will be removed!

Btw,i trought it was easy to fix the rolling,but its actually not :P

i seriously cant find a solution for it and if someone is good with Game Maker,it would be really nice if you could send me a possible code to get the building up speed when rolling downhill to work.

Edited by DarkchaoX10
  • Like 1

Just noticed this thread was here haha, that just proves I don't check up on these forums often. xD

Anyways, I can say I was fairly impressed with the demo. I noticed the game uses the Revival engine, which explains why some little parts of the physics seem off. The visuals were absolutely great, but I felt like the level design was a little too linear. I'm hoping it's just because I couldn't find the other paths.

However, if you only have one main path, consider adding more ways to explore the level, so that your stages have replay value. 

These are just little nitpicks to an already great start to a fan game. I wish you luck. :)

• Like 1

Just noticed this thread was here haha, that just proves I don't check up on these forums often. xD

Anyways, I can say I was fairly impressed with the demo. I noticed the game uses the Revival engine, which explains why some little parts of the physics seem off. The visuals were absolutely great, but I felt like the level design was a little too linear. I'm hoping it's just because I couldn't find the other paths.

However, if you only have one main path, consider adding more ways to explore the level, so that your stages have replay value. 

These are just little nitpicks to an already great start to a fan game. I wish you luck. :)

Thanks for playing! About the Linear Stages,yeah i know about that : / i try to improve my level design in the next zone with a lot of alternate paths to go.

About the engine,nope it doesnt use the Revival Engine,it uses the Second version of the Super Ring Engine,but HEAVILY modified for Sonic Reborn!

Btw,i love your game! I wish i could give sonic also such a effect when jumping : p i tried it too but i totaly failed and sonic couldnt move anymore lol.

Edited by DarkchaoX10
  • Like 1

That ATS/BTS feel might come from the fact that the sprites are really simillar. I didn't read that warning about the special ring and was transported to a 10 foot land of whimsy and wonder. Does this mean the special stages will be actual platformer levels like Triple Trouble or Ristar? I do dig the art style and the level design ain't too complex. Nice for an opening, but hopefully the later stages will have ramped up the complexity and challenge.

Guest Mr Lange

Ok so, this game isn't terrible, but needs some serious work.

The physics are about decent, but there's some glaring problems. One of which is this really wonky upward acceleration every time you jump. Another is the horrendous aerial mobility, in which Sonic moves like a one ton brick suspended by a long string. It's absurdly difficult to manipulate your movement in the air.

You should also pay attention to some details. Sonic's jogging sprites are all over the place with the alignment of every frame being very off.

Always love upside down springs.

lub2cIQ.png

Or how about Sonic being partway in the floor.

TrF2R7n.png

My only major criticism otherwise is how much of a B/ATS ripoff this game is so far. Other people have mentioned it without anything specific, so I'll spell out some similarities.

Sonic's sprites being the same.

The spike powerup working the same as the spike shield (protecting from spikes and granting an inverted jump).

These platforms and towers being just like those in Horizon Heights, and his peelout charge being that same unique animation Lake came up with.

I8obv3K.png

The rain showing up in a later section/act of the first level, which looks almost exactly like the rain in B/ATS.

9PXwwL3.png

Boss that periodically shoots blue projectiles that hit the ground and turn into floor following waves as its main feature.

YFDYD8U.png

And this one... I shouldn't have to explain this at all. If you deny this one, you've got some problems.

55NvdVc.png

Edited by Mr Lange
  • Like 3

I don't understand what the point of making a ripoff like this is. Have you just played no other Sonic games and thus have no point of reference other than B/ATS? Are you trying to ride the wave of Lake's popularity by making a cheap mockery in hopes it will fool idiots? I really hope you heavily consider what you're doing with this game.

Wow that's pretty harsh and uncalled for. I highly doubt he made this game for idiots or was trying to mock Lake. Suggesting such is well idiotic.

This game is inspired by BTS but that doesn't mean it's offensive. Any time a fan game make it big XG, BTA/ATS it inspires others. That's a good thing not a bad one. When I decided to redesign Time Twisted I was heavily inspired by XG for instance and overtime Time Twisted grew into it's own thing. Sonic Overture/From the Beginning was inspired by BTS the same way and over time grew into it's own thing. 

Lange is right about a lot of the physics issues DarkchaoX10 and I suggest you take those to heart. But don't let his attitude get you down you are off to a great start.

• Like 8

Yeah wow Lange cool it for a bit. B/ATS had some rad ideas and was good, so I'm not surprised to see a new fan game take inspiration from it, which is perfectly fine by the way, but saying its a rip off is rather insulting on a few levels. Rip off insinuates trying to cash in on making something as close to something else profitable and doing it the fastest way you can and doing it in low quality. I don't see that at all, theres too much passion and dedication going on here for it to be a rip off. Granted it is pretty similar, so it would do it well to see some bigger more original ideas thrown in to give it more of its own identity, but you're being a bit way to nit picky with this man. Except with the physics, that shit needs to get perfected down to the last nit pick.

Better yet put it on something sensible that works for everyone. Like Mediafire. Seriously just use mediafire. Its quick easy and not a pain to download from it.

I'll play it later today if I get a chance to, I'm in a crunch time at the moment but this has interested me enough to take a gander at it.

Edited by Highwire4
  • Like 1

Guest Mr Lange

Inspiration is not the same thing as copying. From the Beginning started out as copying B/ATS, which is why it was reformed into Overture to be a fully original project. You couldn't even tell it was "inspired" by Lake's games anymore.

When you explicitly copy elements, then mess with them slightly, and build your game around these copied elements, it's more of a copy than an inspiration.

• Like 1

Ok so, this game isn't terrible, but needs some serious work.

The physics are about decent, but there's some glaring problems. One of which is this really wonky upward acceleration every time you jump. Another is the horrendous aerial mobility, in which Sonic moves like a one ton brick suspended by a long string. It's absurdly difficult to manipulate your movement in the air.

You should also pay attention to some details. Sonic's jogging sprites are all over the place with the alignment of every frame being very off.

Always love upside down springs.

lub2cIQ.png

Or how about Sonic being partway in the floor.

TrF2R7n.png

My only major criticism otherwise is how much of a B/ATS ripoff this game is so far. Other people have mentioned it without anything specific, so I'll spell out some similarities.

Sonic's sprites being the same.

The spike powerup working the same as the spike shield (protecting from spikes and granting an inverted jump).

These platforms and towers being just like those in Horizon Heights, and his peelout charge being that same unique animation Lake came up with.

I8obv3K.png

The rain showing up in a later section/act of the first level, which looks almost exactly like the rain in B/ATS.

9PXwwL3.png

Boss that periodically shoots blue projectiles that hit the ground and turn into floor following waves as its main feature.

YFDYD8U.png

And this one... I shouldn't have to explain this at all. If you deny this one, you've got some problems.

55NvdVc.png

Damn,calm down bro.

Yes,Sonic Reborn is inspired by BTS/ATS but that doesnt mean that i just copy stuff from Lake.

The Sprites are free to use for everyone and i just took some of the animations (which Lake also used) because they fitted perfectly for Sonic's Action.The Rain in Act 2 is actually from Super Mario Bros 3 and i had the design of this stage already done before Lake even announced ATS. (Older Demos of Reborn had it already) so i'm not copying that.

The Boss is inspired by Sonic Advance and is not really supposed to copy the ATS Bosses.

About the last screen,i made this map/bg for the Zone Select Menu and i only used it in the zone because i wanted to see how it looks in action.

About the physics and some of the bugs like the ground,i know about them and i try to improve these in later versions.

I didn't read that warning about the special ring and was transported to a 10 foot land of whimsy and wonder. Does this mean the special stages will be actual platformer levels like Triple Trouble or Ristar?

Yep,the special stages will be actual levels! Just with an time limit so it's not that easy and if you die,you will return to the next act/zone.

Edited by DarkchaoX10

OK THIS GAME SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

WORST DEMO EVER!!

I normally dont say this but i needs to be said!
I totally hated this game the minute i played it. I was so angry to see a fan game where sonic stood upright like in the official genesis games when going up and down hills, he should have been angled to every curve, or slide down hills when I clearly wanted him to stand on the curve. I hated how when you got to the interior of places the wall wasn't just the ground with a darker shade like most of the fan games that Ive come across. The presentation was horrendous too! the levels themselves looked well though out. Also I totally hated these physics too it was too in control and sonic didn't accelerate like a winded beast on hills like most fan games that boast super real physics, he felt more like healthy mix between sonic 2 and 4 and that's no good. The only parts can credit was the linearity of the game and the fact that some of the time there objects/paths that look like I can walk on only to find out it was just back ground, oh and that generic boss fight was tops, I was thoroughly entertained by that boss fight. But aside from all that, you should just re-evaluate your life now. Mad props to Lange for setting you strait on some stuff. A/BTS totally came to my mind when I was playing because a/bts Sonic is totally not taken from any source, and is the only fan game of its kind that doesn't edit or re-use sprites, again re-think your life cause stealing is all you did. You shouldn't be proud of this. 

Edited by Pulse0
  • Like 5