A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic The Hedgehog - Reborn

A Spriter from my team is working on a new hud,watcha think?

Its a wip:

screenshot100.png

(ignore that the hud stuff is behind the hud sprite.)

Looks a lot better over the previous one, and the place where the X icon is looks a lot cleaner. For the STR bars though you might want to make them just a bit shorter. They stretch pretty far across the screen.

• Like 1

Perhaps making it smaller would be great. It is fine how it is if the level was constantly going in a straight line, but that HUD effectively is taking up 25% of your total screen space and 50% of the left side of the screen. It looks like it might be a little much. Even if the HUD before still took up space, the fact that there was nothing behind it still allowed for some degree of visibility. I'd find a way to make it more compact but still easy to read to avoid any issues that might arise from traveling left in your levels :).

• Like 2

Rawr nailed it on the head. Takes up way too much screen space for whats going on. I personally thought that the HUD had been fine the way it was, so if you guys can't figure out a way how to keep the style points you've got going on here and fix the screen space it takes up I think you'll do fine reverting to the old one as a quick last minute fix.

I also noticed the positioning of the actual information in relation to the graphics and its not just how much space and visibility that the blue bars take up themselves (which is a lot ) but its also how close to the center of the screen the score and ring counters are. Those counters are almost in the middle of the screen which is invading into the action space a bit too far for just about any resolution. I'd recommend reducing the distance from the edge of the screen for the counters to somewhere around 10% of the screen size as opposed to the 40-45% you've got going on now. Its just not neccessary to have to have those numbers so close to the action is all.

Perhaps a way to compromise the style and visibility problems with hud would be to make the blue bars semi-transparant? I don't know how it might look and you'd have to experiment a little, but I think you might be able to acheive what you want with something like that. It's nice to see you experimenting with it though.

Sorry about the long post, its just HUDs are tricky and require almost as much tweaking as player metrics or controls and I'm just passing on lessons I've learned from my stuff. Good progress though. 

Sorry for being a bit late, but this is sort of a nitpick concerning the latest demo.

Basically, there really isn't a rolling lock for when ever you jump. I don't mean the rolling jump lock (or maybe I do), but it's that whenever sonic rolls, then jumps, he retains his acceleration, and will keep accelerating in midair. This is actually pretty fun to try out, but in the 2D genesis games, he had a sort of accel-lock for whenever he rolls then jumps.

http://gyazo.com/31a10e1ea1221275a08fe01729d4a5ce

Sorry for the choppy framerate, but at least it's better than a straight image.

It would be nice if you'd keep this in the game, just to differentiate from other sonic fangames.

Edited by Sir Spacebar

• 4 weeks later...

Also getting to this late. Good thing too, because responses to alot of the posts in here would have gotten me banned, holy shit.

Got some time to try this out.

Goods:

- The music is very well done. Extremely catchy, your musicians did a wonderful job.

- The game looks great, presentation looks great too..

- The level design was smooth, nothing too annoying (design wise) and it flowed very well. Ran off a cliff because I ignored the sign, but since it only happened once I have no complaints.

- On the same note, I let out an audible sigh of relief at the pit with a red spring at the end of it. Thank you for that renewal of faith.

- Supersonic inclusion is nice. I was honestly surprised when it happened.

- Bigger surprise was the wisp (was it a wisp?) inclusion. I had no clue what it was, it didn't hinder gameplay or remove any control while adding an ability that wasn't verbatim from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It felt fresh even if it wasn't much, and honestly is what kept me going.

- The speed and visibility of the bosses' attack was a bit obnoxious, but it was simple enough to stay fun.

- Very nice touch with the transition if you end the stage as supersonic.

Not so goods :

- Sonic feels like he has very little control of himself. He accelerates and decelerates way too slow for me. I thought i'd adjust, but I never really did, and it was the only real source of annoyance in the playthrough.

- I honestly didn't notice that the game had no rolling physics, because the top speed seemed to be capped pretty low. But it wouldn't hurt anything to add it in.

- Super Sonic feels like the one from Generations, he feels no different to regular sonic, in fact he feels slower, probably because he's supposed to be significantly faster. I'm not sure if this was done on purpose or not, because I read you modeled the physics after sonic 4. 

------------

thats about it. Eager to see where you take this. It's already been dealt with, but please ignore the idiots who bring up BtS.

( About the physics though, you could actually make sonic's draggy physics work as a gameplay feature, IF supersonic is unlocked from the beginning of the game. This would put a value towards getting rings, as they would allow you to transform and become much faster. A bit farfetched, but i kind of like the idea of starting with supersonic unlocked from the beginning. He really isn't much of a "reward" anymore.) 

Edit: And that HUD design is fine, it's just way too big.

Edited by Serephim

• 2 weeks later...

asheet of a Scrapped Character from sonic xtreme

could be usefull

Yep Thats tiara b. ! :SonicRun:

i want to help there =D :ksmile:

i mean sonic stay there

not sonic run! :smad::smidge:

sorry for my bad english

im personaly a fan of scrapped sonic stuff

(wood zone)

sonic fell down in the bottomless pit in act 2 and than he started in act 3 weird bug ?

post-5707-0-38759100-1406736663_thumb.pn teh Mod gen tiara sheet

original sprite by shinbs and perigi (mod gen members)

post-5707-0-38479600-1406737181.pngheres snowboarding sonic please use ! :icon_lol: and a cutsceene sprite is there too!

heres snowboarding sonic please use ! :icon_lol: and a pose for teh intro :

i`ll seen the intro in a video named seaside valley act 1 whith new gfx and musicpost-5707-0-57224700-1406737045.pngpost-5707-0-38479600-1406737181.png i post more soon!post-5707-0-74640100-1406737612.png

super sonic pallet from a screenshot

i made . dark chao plz use all of my posted stuff

darkchao can you make tails playable? ,hes my fav character

and rawr didnt you read the ,sorry for my bad english!`

Jesus Christ dude...-ABT

Edited by Abominal Taz

I hate being a hardass Bleus, but you're spamming and that is no good.

sonicsezthatsnogood1_by_endshark-d7sxjn2

Like Alex said there is a little button at the bottom of your post - if you feel the need to absolutely add something new in use that button instead of double/triple/quadruple posting. You've done this in a few topics now so this is your last warning (before I gotta start issuing actual strikes) - I'm going to be hiding some of these spammy off topic posts in the mean time.

Also please try and stay on topic thanks.

I swore I deleted all those posts yesterday so they wouldn't clog the thread up, but here they are back from the dead haha.

Let this just be a lesson in 'what not to do' when posting in threads people. Anyway situation has been dealt with so we can all get back on topic now I think :P

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being hard

Im notized hat super sonics idle is outdated at standing Pose ( the belly iss outdated)

stuff thats coming

Angry Tiara

Tails Extra

NEW Super Sonic standing

_------------------------------

FUN FACT the wisp Loks linke a misp from Sonic Xtreme!

Im german

Nooooooo!My gosh!Super Sonic glitched up by nothing

-I told you to knock it off last time and you don't get it. Spamming will NOT be tolerated like this repeatedly- Rawr.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Most of you told me about giving the levels more Paths and etc,well i just started to work on the revamped Seaside Valley Act 1 and this is how the design looks currently:

(no objects in the level yet,underground path will have spikes and bridges)

Click on those links to see it!

http://4.ii.gl/h5wLl1mNG.png

http://4.ii.gl/hwnPyaEy9.png

http://4.ii.gl/4tLOKudrW.png

Edited by DarkchaoX10