A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: The Blue Blur- Episode I Beta Demo Available Now!!!

Spykid

Oh, it's been a while since I see a zone that implements the S3&K graphic variation between acts. Looks neat.

Thank you. I'm working little by little (trying to make stuff under 2 hours a day) and so far the game is progressing very good. It feels good making graphics again and I forgot how fun it was. Keep on following us and you'll see more of the S3&K graphic variation style :ssmile:

• Like 1

Just a quick update here. We are hoping to release another demo in January with new graphics and improved level design. There will still be no enemies or special gimmicks, the reason being we really want to get the level design set in stone before adding extra things.

The feedback we received last time was amazing and I hope to receive some just as useful information next time. Thanks everyone who tried and gave their opinions :)

I woudlnt call that a good idea, as gimmicks and Enemies are an important part of the level design, and their implementation should affect your level design. Enemies and gimmicks should be made /with/ the level design, not afterwards, otherwise their placement would make no sense and feel intrusive to the level youve already created. Its a bit late of a response to this, but ive just now noticed it so eh.

Edited by ZigZaX
  • Like 4

While I agree with ya that badniks and gimmicks CAN be a part of level design, they don't have to be.

Our level design should work without badniks and badniks should be place able everywhere. Sure one can use badniks to his/her advantage like in Green Hill Zone where one can bounce from Buzz Bomber to Buzz Bomber, but this isn't necessary.

As for gimmicks, they are important, there you're right, but I can't think of any gimmick we didn't implant yet... Screws, conveyor belts, and water are all there, maybe Spykid meant later Zones like Scorchong Sands...

Am I the only one having a really bad déjà-vu right now?

Excuse me but...what? Badniks are a REALLY important part of level design, theyre not just for using them for your advantage, theyre also where the challenge comes from, and where the reactions of the player will come from. for the most part; remove the badniks out of ANY zone in ANY sonic game, and the stages get marginally boring, stale, long and drawn out stages, thats the purpose of badniks, to help make your levels be more interesting, and to an extent, more alive. Disregarding enemies in a sonic game is...well..stupid.

Badniks are /not/ something you place willy-nilly wherever you feel like, you have to really think if their placement works with the level desgin, how the player would react to them, how the level design needs to be adjusted with them, etcetera. Badniks /are/ a central part of level design.

• Like 1

Now you're just putting words in my mouth...

I've never said that they were useless. I only said, that there should be a challenge in the level design, even without badniks and if the level is boring by itself, no badniks in the world are gonna' fix that. But if the stage has some challenge even without badniks, then it will/may be interesting with badniks...

Also, without working badniks, then we cannot place any, can we?

... no no no, dont start anything like this on this thread. The feedback is fine, its just the answering each other back part i dont like.

Ok, my plan was to have a basic layout. I have already added the areas for the main gimmick, which is why there are those random floating platforms in act 2. Thats is where the main gimmick will be. About badniks, I will tweak level design to suite with what we come up with.

However, I must admit we didnt think of focusing level design with badnik placement, but it is definitely something I will look at when it comes round to it.

...well honestly I got nothing to say on all this badniks placements and stuff but I do have a say on the gimmicks though. We are working on everything we can little by little and sometimes we missed something but it is a small positive that we're reminded on important small parts like the badniks placements and whatnot.

We do take some small breaks from time to time I mean we're just human beings and nobody's perfect. Still glad that we're getting any kind of feedbacks that would help us on our game, anything to point out (don't get carried away on that).

A new mock up of Scorching Sand (act 2)

SS-A2_FM_zpsfe14ea76.png

The new update on this zone is mainly the colors which was help by my dear friend Sapristi45 from DeviantART. I'm really grateful by her help with the colors and she's really good with the colors (she's also my personal assistant which I'm also grateful with). A while back, she made me a really good piece of background for my Prism Palace but since my game is cancel, it's a shame to let it go to waste but I've decided to use it for a winter theme zone later for this game (she will be credit on it that for sure). Plus she's part of our team here now (I'm really happy that she joined us).

Well that's all the updates from my end. Feel free to ask us anything (don't get carry away) regarding to our project. We all really appreciate feedbacks please. Thank you and have a great holiday everyone :ssmile:

• Like 1

Since we technically are on vacation, the change of SpyKid answering is low, so I'll answer...

As for bosses, there are, in fact, non-Robotnik bosses. While they all are related (in a way) to Robotnik (e.g. build by him), they are not all directly controlled by him during the battle. I won't say who/what you'll be fighting, but you can just wait. One thing that I can say, is that until the next demo in January (the one fixing old problems) won't have any bosses, because we won't be done with them, since we are working on level design and gimmicks right now.

The game itself will, since it is based of off the Archie comics, propably have NPCs, but there won't be a "free-mode" where you can walk around and talk, but scripted events (especially before/after boss encounters) will most likely be made. As for cutscenes, we aren't sure if we are to make/implant them, since they would need more work put into them...

As for this, don't take me to serious on the last point, since I am gathering this info from all the discussions we had in the staff-intern messages, so wait for SpyKid, he'll propably be able educate you more...