A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Unnamed WIP Sonic Engine

SoniC++

Based on Damizean's 360 core, I've tweaked the physics quite a bit, and so far added the following:

Rolling

Spindash

Super Peelout

Look up / Crouch

Sonic2 style partner AI

I would especially like comments on the partner AI.

Controls:

Arrow Keys: Move

Shift: Jump

Shift + Down while standing still: Spindash

Shift + Up while standing still: Super Peel-out

The 2nd sonic following you arround will eventually be someone else, who it is will depend on if i decide to include multiple playable characters or not.

Updates:

07/29/06:

1. 360 tubes added
  2. Extra "goto point" method of movment added to moving platforms, along with with a modifer object to allow creation of complex paths
  3. partial Super Sonic, lacks palette swap and flight

The overall physic's are nice, But I have some complants about the AI player.

.He is much to close

I guess i could make him back off a little, but thats pretty much what Tails does in Sonic2 XD

.He rolls when you press down

Thanks for pointing that out, ill make sure and fix that

.He gets lost to easy

Thats partially due to how the test level was layed out, so ill wait and see how it goes in a real level before i do anything about that

A little more work and im sure it will be great. Nice work so far

Thanks =D

I remember you from the phpbb forums. You ever finish that Mario fangame?

Anyway, the engine is a bit buggy. When you run off a wall/ceiling from any angle, Sonic seems to kind of "skip". It's weird. you said you were using Dami's engine? It shouldn't happening... you might have changed something important in the engine, or maybe you're using an old version? Or it could be this computer I'm on. I'll see when I can try it on my normal one soon.

I really hate how you have to rev up the spindash a couple hundred times if you want Sonic to actually move. One rev takes you nowhere.

Also, fullscreen should be optional. I like to test the game with notepad out so I can take notes for suggestions to give to the person working on it, and it could cause slowdowns on older computers. This is just an engine test though, so it's not a big deal.

Sometimes when I try to spindash, I go into peelout.

Sometimes Sonic seems to hover over the ground a bit. I doubt it has anything to do with the hot spots though. Look into it? Also, I think the jump could be a bit more powerful. And the enemy AI is nicely done, by the way.

That's all I have to say from a quick run. With a little work, this can turn out to be a very nice engine.

I remember you from the phpbb forums. You ever finish that Mario fangame?

Hehe, i was wondering if anybody would remember me, And no, i never finished it, Mario fangaming just wasn't as fun as Sonic fangaming, in fact the only reason i switched to Mario games was because of the lower engine standards, but now that i have the skill, I'm back to what i really enjoy :)

Anyway, the engine is a bit buggy. When you run off a wall/ceiling from any angle, Sonic seems to kind of "skip". It's weird. you said you were using Dami's engine? It shouldn't happening... you might have changed something important in the engine, or maybe you're using an old version? Or it could be this computer I'm on. I'll see when I can try it on my normal one soon.

I think this may be a hotspot problem, i haven't done anything to the speed and gravity transforms, which is the only other cause i can think of.

I really hate how you have to rev up the spindash a couple hundred times if you want Sonic to actually move. One rev takes you nowhere.

Ill pull out Sonic2 later and try to extrapolate a more accurate value, i just pulled one out of my ass as a place holder since i didnt have my genesis or a rom handy when i was doing the spindash

Also, fullscreen should be optional. I like to test the game with notepad out so I can take notes for suggestions to give to the person working on it, and it could cause slowdowns on older computers. This is just an engine test though, so it's not a big deal.

Hehe, sorry about that, I tend to forget not everyone likes fullscreen as much as i do :o

Sometimes when I try to spindash, I go into peelout.

Sometimes Sonic seems to hover over the ground a bit. I doubt it has anything to do with the hot spots though. Look into it?

Both are just due to sprite incompleteness and/or hotspot issues, I'n not really bothering with sprites at the moment, just working on the engine.

Also, I think the jump could be a bit more powerful. And the enemy AI is nicely done, by the way.

That's all I have to say from a quick run. With a little work, this can turn out to be a very nice engine.

Ill see about the jump, and thank you =D

[edit: Amazing how one typo can change the meaning of an entire sentence]

I like the engine, somehow it reminds me of Chaotix because it's quite smooth with half-loops and the decelleration is quite low comparing to other games. But this is not a bad thing at all. It just gives the engine (and the future game) sense of originality.

I also think that you could publish the "character follow" part as a tutorial. It would be nice.

EDIT: Please check your PM

I like the engine, somehow it reminds me of Chaotix because it's quite smooth with half-loops and the decelleration is quite low comparing to other games. But this is not a bad thing at all. It just gives the engine (and the future game) sense of originality.

I also think that you could publish the "character follow" part as a tutorial. It would be nice.

About the partner AI, when I'm finished making all the additions to the engine, I'm going to post the unprotected .cca, and probably also a written tutorial detailing how and why the partner AI works (its actually amazingly simple, its only like 10 extra events added onto the main movement XD)

Yeah the AI works well, though he runs off screen when trying to find you, also the moving platforms are a bit quick (I put it down to the ai, as I thought you had copied the engine and then pasted it over again (so its 2 engines in one) cause the event for the movement of the platform to be doubled making it faster, but you said that the engine had only 10 extra events)

Also like said before some animations are not perfect but it is WIP so I can't complain about some minor details at this stage.

Yeah the AI works well, though he runs off screen when trying to find you, also the moving platforms are a bit quick (I put it down to the ai, as I thought you had copied the engine and then pasted it over again (so its 2 engines in one) cause the event for the movement of the platform to be doubled making it faster, but you said that the engine had only 10 extra events)

Also like said before some animations are not perfect but it is WIP so I can't complain about some minor details at this stage.

Oops, i should have made that more clear xD. Your right, the partner AI does use a stripped down copy of the main engine, i just meant it only took 10 to do his AI.

You're releasing it open source? Awesome. Now I might include Tails in my game.

Of course I am. I'd be an ass if i didn't :P

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

Just got 360 tubes more or less done, and partial Anti-gravity

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

Updated first post with new version, includes bug fixes, tubes, and the new movment type for moving platforms.

Umm...It didn't work for me. I extracted it and ran it, but I got an error that said "This application has failed to start because CNCS232.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Do I need some sort of extra software to run it or is it an .exe file?