A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

sonic_thunder_logo_by_assassin_heatbeat-

Sonic Thunder was a project started about a year ago. It was first based off of the modern games but later became based off of the Genesis classics and the advance games with some ideas from modern games.

STORY

Dr. Eggman has returned to his original plans, each at a time. He has absorbed almost all of the power of the Master Emerald for his greatest take over yet, captured most of the animals off of South Island and West Side Island and collecting all of theChaos Emeralds. It's up to Sonic and Tails to stop Eggman from putting all captured animals into his machines and up to Knuckles to restore the Master Emerald and stop the development of the Eggman army.

GAMEPLAY

Get to the end of the act of each level. Act 1 and 2 are basic levels ending with a Goal Ring, Act 3 features a boss and the main capsule of the area and collecting 50 rings at the end of the zone will lead to special stages.

VIDEOS

Sonic The Hedgehog Gameplay/Test Zone Act 1 Gameplay

Miles 'Tails' Prower The Fox Gameplay/Test Zone Act 2 Gameplay

Knuckles the Echidna Gameplay/Test Zone Act 3 Gameplay

Miscellaneous

Release Video/Basic Gameplay Part 1

Basic Gameplay Part 2

PICTURES

screenshot102_by_assassin_heatbeat-d7c9m

screenshot104_by_assassin_heatbeat-d7c9n

screenshot174_by_assassin_heatbeat-d7bzh

OTHER

Not all bosses will be a running boss like Act 3. Just saying.

If you like the project as it is now please follow me on YouTube and DeviantArt for more Updates

https://www.youtube.com/user/HeatBeatTHH

http://assassin-heatbeat.deviantart.com/

DOWNLOAD LINKS

Tech Demo (2014)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sp7e2aym582yxko/Sonic+Thunder+Tech+Demo.exe

Edited by Assassin-HeatBeat

Ahhh... listening to that Windmill Isle song makes me want to play the PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed again...

On topic though, the engine looks very smooth and awesome! I like how you gave Sonic the Sonic Advance 1-3/Battle palette for the Sonic Colors/Generations styled Advance sprites! A few criticisms:

. That platform that goes up and down moves very slow
. (From what I saw) Sonic only has two moving animations: Walk and Run. Try adding jogging sprites
. Sonic's walking sprite looks odd. Perhaps it's the animation
. Try adding animation for Tails throwing Ring Boxes
. Tails' tails (sounds odd I know ^^; ) stays in one position (Tails' tails always had some type of gravity thing)

Other than that, you got a good engine!

Edited by MetalSonic30

Ahhh... listening to that Windmill Isle song makes me want to play the PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed again...

On topic though, the engine looks very smooth and awesome! I like how you gave Sonic the Sonic Advance 1-3/Battle palette for the Sonic Colors/Generations styled Advance sprites! A few criticisms:

. That platform that goes up and down moves very slow

. (From what I saw) Sonic only has two moving animations: Walk and Run. Try adding jogging sprites

. Sonic's walking sprite looks odd. Perhaps it's the animation

. Try adding animation for Tails throwing Ring Boxes

. Tails' tails (sounds odd I know ^^; ) stays in one position (Tails' tails always had some type of gravity thing)

Other than that, you got a good engine!

About two of those things I suck at. That walking to run was due to the fact that it was built off of a classic engine. I'll see what I can do.

• 2 weeks later...

collecting all Chaos Emeralds from both islands.

What.

I'm REALLY sure there's only one set of chaos emeralds not one for each Island...

..unless you need to collect all 7 in both islands, if that's the case then I just made a very stupid comment.

Edited by Jassbec

What.

I'm REALLY sure there's only one set of chaos emeralds not one for each Island...

..unless you need to collect all 7 in both islands, if that's the case then I just made a very stupid comment.

Yeah, very stupid. South Island from the first game had 6 emeralds and West Side Island from the second game had 7.

Yeah, very stupid. South Island from the first game had 6 emeralds and West Side Island from the second game had 7.

Woah, okay no, my comment was not stupid.

There's only ONE set of emeralds and that's about it.

Eggman only found out about the seventh emerald in Sonic 2, that's why there's 6 in Sonic 1.

Seven Chaos Emeralds, THAT'S IT.

Edited by Jassbec

Alright, let me put away somewhat serious Assassin (who's a bit of an ass, haha?). This story is based on what is said in the Japanese manuals. Current cannon, if a cluster for me. Why is Knuckles ignoring the Master Emerald now-a-days? Does he have a guard dog now? i'd like a guard do-NOT THE POINT! I sorta've suck at reading so I'll usually take things in a different meaning (I'm a really stupid American).  The longer I stay at Sonic United, the more you guys will notice I'm probably the stupidest logical Otaku ever. InfinityAlex, I have a preview of that whole shield thing. http://sta.sh/0go7klnyiqq

Tech demo is out....YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!1111!! I've already updated the main post with a couple things, some videos I didn't put there, and some links. You could tell me about some bugs and errors, nitpicks that you have for the game (not me...). And some ideas on how to improve on it. http://www.mediafire.com/download/sp7e2aym582yxko/Sonic+Thunder+Tech+Demo.exe

• Like 2

Couple problems you might wanna sort out. I'll list all of the glitches I found, a few I couldn't document there cause.

1. Homing attack in one direction and pressing the opposite lets you dash the other way quickly. Tap AA and say Right when you just start going right, press left, instant backwards movement.

2. Homing attacking and waiting for your trail to go away and pressing slide key, allows air sliding. Same with the kick move, homing attack into a wall and when the trail no longer emits press slide button and you air kick.

3. This may or may not be intentional, but going above the pipe entrance like, near the tip-ish top part. Going there the pipe doesn't activate.

4. Something to do with rolling and I'm not sure, caused me to get my left and right controls locked. Hitting a spring unlocked them though. Maybe it was an object collision? I don't know. 

Otherwise, I liked it and there are a lot positives! Its smooth, the graphics are really nice, level design (for a test act) Is pretty good, it feels pretty good to play, responsive.

My only [personal] nitpicks are: Sonic is kinda heavy feeling when jumping, the sprites are what looks unaligned. But it's a tech demo, so. Good job!

Gotta say. Twas not disappointed. :3

I still like da other version doe...

Couple problems you might wanna sort out. I'll list all of the glitches I found, a few I couldn't document there cause.

1. Homing attack in one direction and pressing the opposite lets you dash the other way quickly. Tap AA and say Right when you just start going right, press left, instant backwards movement.

2. Homing attacking and waiting for your trail to go away and pressing slide key, allows air sliding. Same with the kick move, homing attack into a wall and when the trail no longer emits press slide button and you air kick.

3. This may or may not be intentional, but going above the pipe entrance like, near the tip-ish top part. Going there the pipe doesn't activate.

4. Something to do with rolling and I'm not sure, caused me to get my left and right controls locked. Hitting a spring unlocked them though. Maybe it was an object collision? I don't know. 

Otherwise, I liked it and there are a lot positives! Its smooth, the graphics are really nice, level design (for a test act) Is pretty good, it feels pretty good to play, responsive.

My only [personal] nitpicks are: Sonic is kinda heavy feeling when jumping, the sprites are what looks unaligned. But it's a tech demo, so. Good job!

@Ace Yeah but this version actually got released and uses the power of Classic physics wheee!

@Light 1.Going to pretend that's intentional and call it a quick evade.

2. Probably cause after leaving the trail you go into your normal action, which is when the slide abilities can be used

3.I can simply fix that.

4.I have no idea what to do about it, but I'm always near a spring when it happens....INVESTIGATION MODE!

• 2 weeks later...

Started on the first level for Sonic.

screenshot104_by_assassin_heatbeat-d7hrx

Go ahead, scream at me for using the generic green hill tiles...are you done thinking about it? Alright then let's continue. Ocean Bay is one of Eggman's isolated bases where he captures animals and places them into capsules to load up to his robots. Level tile placement based off of Palmtree Panic and level design based from Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Seaside Hill, Neo Green Hill, Apatos, and Tropical Resort.

• Like 2

Looks good and all but it's really rubbing me the wrong way since this tileset is something everybody has used and is using. 

Would be nice of you to at least... change the checkers or the shade of the grass. 

I could do that or grab my rifle and get rid of the others. But in all actuality, a friend made the grass and did add shadows under the grass.....might as well see if I can change the checkers