A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Oficina Framework: alpha testing

TL;DR: Test my game's very-early-pre-alpha, will ya?

Some of you know I disappeared for a bit from the fangaming scene (it's been about two years since I made something Sonic-related), and that it was because I was starting my own indie game, from scratch, using real programming languages (Not debunking MMF2, which is STILL an awesome tool, but I wanted more control over things).

So, after months and months of programming and learning and scratching projects and improving code, I've finally come with something good: OficinaFramework, an indie games framework with several "subsystems", based on SDL 2.0 and OpenGL.

I'd like to request you guys to test out the binaries.

They have nothing unusual; they're quite simple, and wouldn't require too much time to make, weren't they made focusing on bringing stable and versatile features from the ground up - like a queued background music system, pretty much inspired on Sonic Worlds Delta's music engine.

(I've removed the download link, I'll post it again soon.)

The packed Linux libraries seem to only work on Ubuntu 13.10 and up, didn't test on an older version. The readme instructs on how you could proceed if you're eager to make it work on a different distro, but it's not a definitive guide.

Please be also sure to get the default binary for your distro. Even though 32-bit binaries will work on 64-bit operating systems, if you are willing to give me feedback, I'd really like you to do it using the proper build for your system.

Although it is not really opensource, at least yet, I'd like to have some info on how it's behaving on you guys' PCs - specially the old PCs. Here's the info I request:

- Operational system and architecture of your SO (32/64bit, i386, amd64);

- Model and frequency of your processor;

- GPU model;

- Total amount of RAM;

And these infos which can be retrieved by the in-game debugger:

- Type of input/controller used (specially the name of the controller which is shown there);

- Usage of physical and virtual memory by the (main) process (this is only monitored on Linux, but I wouldn't complain if you took a little peak on your Windows task manager);

- Average use of CPU (the value is hard to watch as it changes all the time, but try to get the biggest value);

- Average FPS (default is 60)

The resolution is locked on 720p, sorry about that.

Thank you in advance  :(<

EDIT: Don't mind the graphics. It's for testing. Mind the performance.

EDIT2: You don't have to tell me everything about your PC if you don't want to, but it'll make my life lotta easier to fix eventual bugs and performance issues...

Edited by luksamuk

Performance is fine on my end, but I have fairly high end hardware, so that's probably expected.

I was under the impression that being open source is sort of a prerequisite for hosting on Source Forge. You might not technically be allowed to host demos on there without also holding source.  Of course, the worst that'll happen is your demo might get taken down, but just something to keep in mind for the future.

• Like 1