A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Spark the electric jester - (DEMO v3 BETA)

tumblr_inline_n76je3IQZB1szok65.png

New stage!

No name yet, like every other stage.
It’s very early in development, as you can see from the out of place gray line on top of the BG, but i’m not sure if i’ll actually finish it this time, that is, i’m not really that happy on how this stage is turning out, although, it’s mosty likely that I will finish it one way or the other.

But anyway, this stage… well, there is something quite special about it.
Oh, and hey, tags. not sure how those work though.

• Like 8

Ok... another double post...

(Ok, avoid the spoiler if you don't want to see a stupid rant)

(wrong place to put this, i know, feel free to move it anywhere else)

You guys should really look into what the LIKE system really means to this forum, is it supposed to get more attention into a specific post? Or just rise an almost meaningless number?

It also seems like this like system just stops people from posting at all and is also very dificult to spot, for an outside viwer, it feels like i'm actually making a double post because my game gets no attention. Which can be a sign that the game is bad or something.
And that's just not good.

Ok, so...

1: show more diference between posts that have been liked and those who have't.

(add a big star next to the post number, change the color or something)

OR
2: remove the like system

OR

3: show the most liked posts of the day, drawing attention to the post.

OR(if you guys don't have any time)
4: just ignore this.

I'm just worried about this because it feels like sfghq is one of the few places i can actually share my game right now, with retro you just don't have any luck, and it seems like people are just MUCH, MUUUCH more active here. In retro my posts aren't even noticed.(i look if any active member is looking at the post and i only see guests.)

Sorry for this rant guys, in the end, you can just ignore me. I've been just thinking too hard about it and i think when you force people to post something, they at least try to get something out with it that's not just a "looking good =)" post and I think that, overall, improves the quality of this place. After all, this is not facebook.

Ok, now that is out of the way (it's not related to spark btw)

Here some updates: (NEW STAGE)

tumblr_n7cgv22Zup1tsqqdho1_500.png

Also, if you see this, when I was posting this game around retro, I asked if anyone wanted to test out the game but only if you could record the playthrough so I could polish the level design a little bit. Altough, no one replied.

I do lets plays as a hobby so I could record non-commentary (or commentary if you like) videos of a blind playthrough, put it on unlisted and link them all to you. That is if you're still looking for someone to do that.

As for the update a board power up sounds pretty rad. Loving the color schemes you have going on with the artwork as well.

Edited by Highwire4

Actually_ speaking for myself, half the time its me just waiting for you to make a post.
If its something I really think stands out I'll post and comment say good job or something.
I like alot of your work but i haven't seen anything Super Impressive were I can just "Like" and just walk away. Since Ive been here it seems like the "like" system is in place just to show support of a point made in a post, rather than to say I like this what your showing. Some people however use it that way too.

also demo testing sounds fun

Edited by Pulse0

I'd most definitely would like to test play the game myself. When I'm not working on my own game I'm usually trying to find something productive to do, and this may be a good excuse for me to do something. As for recording, I could possibly do that after I get familiar with whichever levels will be available in test builds and I would post them as unlisted videos if you don't want anyone watching early builds.

With a few days off and Camstudio I could record some footage. Also I'm on my phone most of the time so it's harder to type a well thought out post without horrendous typing on my part and such. But I'm personally not digging the rainbow tiles. They don't seem to flow very well with the stage BG but I could be wrong when its in action or something

This project looks really promising, you've done it again LakeFeperd. TBH, in my opinion, this looks even better than ATS. Though, if you want to go for a fast-paced platformer, I suggest turning up the maximum speed, and slightly decrease the accelerating. I'm not sure if you want this, however, so if not, just ignore this.

I love the graphics, they look very polished. Especially the tilesets and backgrounds look very good to me. Some states of Spark look a little stiff, but it's only a minor problem, the sprite still looks good as it is now. Also, those robot enemies look like mice, is that intended?

Unfortunately, I'm not using my voice in videos, so I can't help you out. My youtube channel isn't that popular anyway, so you're better off looking for someone else, I think.

I can't wait to try this game when it's released, even if it's just a demo! I enjoyed watching the video a lot. One last question btw: when it's finished, will it be free to download or will you charge money for it? I have nothing against the latter btw, you totally deserve to get some money for all the work you've put in this project.

if3E2GO0HRGDI.jpg

I drew this on May 1st but never had the chance to upload it. I present this fan art of Spark. I messed up on the shoes but meh... You can like it, you can hate it, you can do whatever. :P

P.S. AVM is my full name initials in case you are wondering. 

oh my, that is quite interesting indeed. Does the board do other things than just skate you around? Or is the level filled with things for it to interact with that you just aren't showing off yet? Either way it'll make a memorable part of the game for sure.

I really like your color choice for the board though, it compliments Spark's shoes and the background at the same time, which helps make spark's hitbox clearer to compensate for his yellow body portrayed against a yellow background. Nice balance on that.

Lake on tumblr you said that the background is a bit empty, it is not the goal of a desert to be empty? ^^

Also I remember the skecthe you'be made about this level, there are two big towers, just had them and it will great for me ;)

The shading on the background is made with the mouse ? Otherwise very nice for the design !

More!: http://sparktej.tumblr.com/post/89503932868/more#disqus_thread

Copy and paste..........

tumblr_inline_n7jnnziEj71szok65.png

Here’s a more “finished” version. It’s still not 100% done of couse and there is still a lot to work on.
Also, about the board, I changed its max speed to be about 100pixels per frame(60fps) and his top speed(speed cap) about 10ppf and i presumed there would be quite a lot of glitches and Spark would go trough the level’s tiles but surprisingly, it’s not happening. So I’m leaving it like this.
Altough it will be really hard to reach 100ppf.

For a comparasion, in all of the classic Sonic the hedgehog genesis games, Sonic’s speed cap is abour 6ppf and his maximum speed is about 15(?)ppf if i remember correctly.

Special little bit of info: Somehow it's not possible to see it in this screen but there is little pixels representing dust flying around in 3 layers closer to the "camera" giving the level a lot of life.

• Like 2