A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Construct 2 Vs. Game Maker Vs. MMF2

Oh, that's promising to hear. 

What I figured out a few days ago rewriting the collision code and letting CC handle most of the basics, is that the collision in CC and C2 are definitely decent enough to lean on on their own. I don't think any amount of added collision is worth eating the CPU, and in any case, substituting hard-coded collisions in CC/C2 will never be as accurate and fast as just using the Box2D physics or a built-in collision engine. 

At the end of the day there's always the Physics/Bullet behavior, and CC has custom movement behavior that handles pushouts, not precise in the slightest but it works. I'm not sure exactly what changed in C2 because I know a few collision options are no longer present, like per-pixel. But early into this idea, i'm thinking you could probably get Worlds working in a fraction of the sensors or cycle work in at least MMF2, and just use functions to handle the angle detection. 

Edited by Serephim

C2 doesn't use per-pixel, it uses collision polygons, which makes sense, for sake of performance and physics. You don't get complex collisions anymore, but for most things, that's rarely necessary anyway. C2 also has custom movement, though it doesn't work quite like the Classic version, and you can't do selective collisions on a per-player basis anyway (for collision layers).

It honestly might be easier to write up a custom plugin in javascript using other movement behaviours as a basis. The platform behaviour would be a good base, maybe integrate the bits from the bullet behaviour that allow it to bounce to find angles, among other things.

Edited by Candescence

Well from the breakthroughs in my engine I made 2 days ago, i'm a bit curious now when it comes to C2 Worlds.

Is there a more recent version of the engine laying around somewhere Candescence? If I can open it in my copy of C2 then i'd like to play around with the events a bit.

Edited by Serephim

I think C2 is a wondeful program, just not willing to shell out 129 bucks for features I don't, or won't use. Personally, I'd love if they had a without all those extra (imo) needless exports.

It's a real pity. The HTML5 focus is valiant but I just cant get behind it for bigger projects.

Scirra really knows what they're doing though, and i wish more than anything that they'd update Classic on the side even a little bit.

Game Maker:

I can't vouch for Game Maker, i've never touched it before. Engines using it seemed to be getting progressively better, but there have always been little quirks about GM projects and demos that bothered me. It just feels like nobody who uses it really has an extensive grasp of it yet unless it's a Mario engine.  

GM does have quirks, some logic behaves differently on different computers (thus why a lot of people didn't get the rings at the start on the TT demo).

But Sonic Game Land, Sonic Time Twisted, Salom Adventure, Sonic Edge of Darkness. All use GM and most if not all use different engines to boot. In my mind those games are some of the best fan games available. Even with those good projects you still hold the position that no one has a grasp of it?

• Like 2

Each environment has its ups and downs, but one thing MMF does that gives it an extra point for me is Wine compatibility: I can run MMF games on loonax pretty well, but GM is another story entirely. Even running them in Virtualbox doesn't help much.

Even MMF2 itself runs nicely in Wine.

Still, GM is pretty solid.

Regarding GM vs MMF I think the conclusion everyone can agree on is this:

Game Maker is more difficult to use since it pretty much forces you to learn to code. It's not the most stable program out there. It has a slightly more accurate Sonic engine in the form of Sonic Studio and hopefully one day AeStHete. 

Multimedia Fusion is easier to use and does not require using a programming language. It's much more stable than GameMaker. MMF also has the most complete Sonic engine in Sonic World Deta. 

I'd call that a toss up or objectively maybe a slight edge to MMF. But these factors should help people make the decision.