A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Bingo The Multiva (Now with Public Beta!)

Plom510

I now have a SAGExpo 2014 Act 2 trailer! Took me a while to make, but I think it was worth the time.

10526102_697304550317892_145439089362983

Also have a screenshot of the pause menu. it's really nothing special but you can resume the game, retry from the last checkpoint, or quit to the menu.

I know updates have been slow, but I'm still making progress.

• Like 1

The trailer looks neat, I can't wait for the SAGE demo! As for the pause menu, it looks a bit empty, here's my suggestion: instead of a black background, make the game "freeze" and use that as a background, so basically just draw the buttons over the regular view, with all the objects and such still existing. If you're using Game Maker, here's how to do it:

-Create a screenshot and put it in the same folder as the .exe (do this through code) every time the game pauses

-Create an instance of the pause object. Make sure that object has a very low depth, so that it draws the buttons "above" the other things

-Deactivate all instances, except for the pause object

-Draw the screenshot with a higher depth

-Draw a black rectangle over the screenshot with an alpha of around 0.2. Be sure this also has a higher depth

Or, in code:

//Press P event (or any key) of whatever object that pauses the game
screen_save(working_directory + "\pause_screenshot.png");
instance_create(0, 0, obj_pausemenu);

//Create event of obj_pausemenu (or whatever it's called)
instance_deactivate_all(true);
sprite_to_draw = sprite_add(working_directory+"\pause_screenshot.png", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

//Draw event of obj_pausemenu
draw_sprite(sprite_to_draw, 0, view_xview[0], view_yview[0]);

oldcol = draw_get_color();
oldalpha = draw_get_alpha();
draw_set_color(c_black);
draw_set_alpha(0.2);

draw_rectangle(view_xview[0], view_yview[0], view_xview[0] + view_wview[0], view_yview[0] + view_hview[0], false);

draw_set_color(oldcol);
draw_set_alpha(oldalpha);

draw_self();
//Put any other draw event here

If you're using MMF2 or any program that's not Game Maker, I'm afraid I can't help you, but if you know how to code it yourself, go for it. But again, this is just a suggestion, you don't have to do it ;)

Everything else looks great, the graphics fit well and the bosses/enemies look fun. Though, it looks a bit too much like Sonic in my opinion, maybe you should give him a different move than the spinjump/roll?

Edited by WreckingPrograms

@WreckingPrograms

I've partially implemented the code you've provided. I say partially because the way the pause menu in my game is programmed differently than your code. I can confirm that it looks MUCH better this way and I was going to attempt this at some point. One minor problem though is that the game takes a second to take the screenshot before the Pause menu actually draws. Not entirely sure if it's only my system that lags it or if it'll be the same across all computers and devices. And yes I use GameMaker. GameMaker: Studio specifically.

EDIT: The screenshot system doesn't work correctly on Android so until I can find a fix, the Android port will resort to using the black background.

Edited by Plom510

• 2 weeks later...

My Opinion Is The Physics Are Not Correctly Bingo Fall Instatnly And Is Based On Freedom Planet

Listen, I know you're young and probably a bit inexperienced, but I've been observing your behavior here and it really isn't a fit for this forum. At your age you should at the very least be in a beginners grammar course. Please clean up your posts and behavior or I will be forced to limit your posting until you are older.
  • Like 1

The physics weren't that bad in my opinion, Bingo should just accelerate a tad faster (than in the demo, but I guess you already fixed that)

One minor problem though is that the game takes a second to take the screenshot before the Pause menu actually draws. Not entirely sure if it's only my system that lags it or if it'll be the same across all computers and devices

I have a fairly new computer with high specs, but it also takes about a second for me to pause the game in the demo. I didn't find it a huge problem, though. Anyway, if you really want to abandon that, you can do multiple things:

-Keep the old, black background for the pause menu

-Deactivate all instances without taking a screenshot. This will make all objects invisible though, but the bg and tiles are still there

-This one takes pretty long to do, but it has the same effect as the one with the screenshot, and removes the one second wait. For each object, have a "pause state", so basically you want to check in each object's step event whether the game is paused or not and if it is, disable movement and everything else for that object. It will take a long time, so I'm not sure if you find it worth it.

EDIT: Would this help you? http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=436584 . I'm not 100% sure it removed the one second delay, cause I didnt test it out myself

Edited by WreckingPrograms

Listen, I know you're young and probably a bit inexperienced, but I've been observing your behavior here and it really isn't a fit for this forum. At your age you should at the very least be in a beginners grammar course. Please clean up your posts and behavior or I will be forced to limit your posting until you are older.

Ok Sorry  But How Do You Delete A Post?

Ok Sorry  But How Do You Delete A Post?

I think you can either ask a mod to delete it, or just edit it to say something else. Also, do you know that you're not supposed to capitalize the first letter of EVERY word, or is there some kind of a glitch in your computer? Just curious, cause I've seen a lot of YouTube comments written like that.

I think you can either ask a mod to delete it, or just edit it to say something else. Also, do you know that you're not supposed to capitalize the first letter of EVERY word, or is there some kind of a glitch in your computer? Just curious, cause I've seen a lot of YouTube comments written like that.

Ok im not doing that again

I think I'm ready to post an update on my game! This is a large post so be prepared.

=CHARACTERS=

In a status update I posted earlier, I hinted at adding more characters into my game. I held my promise, and I think I'm ready to show you guys the full cast of Bingo The Multiva!

Salamon

salamon_color.png

A Multiva who resides in Verdant Valley. He has lived alone for most of his life. After being attacked by some of Darth's robots, he has met Bingo. Salamon decides to tag-along with Bingo on his journey, but he mainly tries to be careful.

Voscor

Voscor_Color.png

Darth - "Eh... this guy is a strange case. He's one of the few of my robots that can actually think, act and speak! I'm not sure HOW I created him. He claims to be a useful "Dullahan-bot" but LOOK at him! His head's not even screwed on to his body! He's obviously a scrap-bot!... But if he says he'll go after Bingo.... Ehh. Maybe that's the best course of action to put this thing out of it's misery. Though the cannons on his belly and those fins on his lower body look like they could so something..."

note: final design may differ.

Feina

Feina_Artwork.png

Darth - "Probably the one person that thinks on my level. Don't tell Bingo or ANYONE I said this but... Eh she's actually kinda cute. But cute looks aren't everything. She's got power. Ooooh does she have it. Ever heard of a witch? Leave it to the old fairy tales to get it wrong. She's a WHOLE different breed! Fire, thunder, ice, earth, you name it! If it's a valid element she probably has a spell for it. She's also able to communicate with those creepy little sclaws. And for some reason she has some control and use for them... Why do I get the feeling that she's... Sweet on me? I'm overthinking it..."

Streyt

streyt_color.png

Darth - "This guy... Why does he intimidate me a bit? The guy reminds me of a furry guy with a red scarf because of his ammunition... cards. As strange as that is... With his reputation and streak of successful jobs, he seems to be a pretty good bounty hunter. Hopefully this guy will get Bingo out of my hair. And is it just me... Or do his attack names mostly consist of 5 cards used to create a royal flush? Not only does the guy have a real good poker face, but he really IS playing with a full deck!.... Remind me not to cross this guy unless I have no other choice."

=PHYSICS CHANGES=

I've noticed that a lot of people aren't too happy about Bingo's slow startup speed. I have changed that and instead of gaining speed once he enters his running state, I've increased his overall horizontal movement speed as well as altering his friction. If you jump from a stand-still, you'll have a much faster speed as opposed to being on the ground to compensate for slow platforming sections. I've also made it so if Bingo is running faster than his maximum speed, instead of slowing down, he'll be keeping the speed he accumulates. This may be a good thing for speedrunners. For the first time, I've actually seen the camera being a complaint, so when Bingo enters his running state, the camera will pan to allow you to see more of what's ahead of you. Oddly enough, these changes to the physics also fixed SOME collision issues with the steep slopes. Kind of weird of you ask me.

=MANAGER BOSS FIGHT=

screenshots_managerboss_01.png

You've seen him in my update video of adding explosions as well as the SAGE 2014 Act 2 trailer. He is now complete. As a boss, he doesn't really do a whole lot considering that this is the first boss you'll face. He can shoot up to 6 projectiles from his cannons. Each time you hit his core, he'll react by firing a laser that you'll need to avoid. I hope you guys will like him despite his simplicity.

=SAGE 2015 PLANS=

It seems like my game has done better during Act 2, but there are still questions that people want answered. I don't want to get to them JUST yet but I can say that for SAGE 2015, I plan on having a public beta where you get to play through the FIRST HALF of Verdant Valley! (That's 12 levels in total including the Manager boss fight.) From now until then, I will focus on finishing the remaining levels for the first set of Verdant Valley levels and I also need to make new bonus levels as the Red Coins/Bingo Emblems will allow you to unlock them. If I still have enough time if I manage to get these done early, I might implement some of the first few cutscenes for the game. I'm not quite sure if the bank will have a real use at that point in time, but I'll let you guys know if anything happens.

I believe that is all for today as this was a long write! (Possibly about 20 minutes to write this!) I hope you guys appreciate what I have in store for you!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite surprised that no one has commented on my earlier post. I was expecting some critiques on the new characters.

Aside from the bump, I do want to say that I'd like to find some people who are interested in testing my game. So far 1/6 of the game is completed (in terms of levels) and the first half of Verdant Valley is playable. You may PM me if you would like to be a tester for Bingo The Multiva and I'll send you a link to a forums I've set up to make bug reporting easier. In the PM I'll also need an e-mail address since I'll need to approve new accounts as I want to make sure that the people that are registering are testers.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like this thread has turned into a development blog of sorts. Not quite sure if this is a good thing, or a bad thing. Regardless, I bring some updates for you guys.

=CHARACTER ICONS=

Not too long ago, I commissioned R-no71 some blinking avatars of the cast of Bingo The Multiva. I have just received them and I would like to show them off!

1409948101053354900.gif1409948138024879800.gif

1409948174047578300.gif1409948210068945300.gif

1409948254058871800.gif1409948294096772800.gif

These icons are very well done. I also like the effects that was used for Voscor's and Streyt's icons. I can say that this was well worth the commission, but what do you guys think of the icons?

=MUSIC COMPOSER FOUND=

If you guys have seen the Fan Game Assistance section, I have a thread where I'm asking for character sprite artists, a music composer, and beta testers. I have found a composer that will be updating some of the tracks that I already wrote as well as creating some new tracks that I probably won't be able to make myself. Can of Nothing will be behind the rest of the soundtrack from this point, and we have an updated version of Verdant Valley that I'd like you all to LISTEN to!

That is all for today, but I really appreciate it if you guys gave me some feedback on my progress as well as people who are willing to beta test. Quick question though. Should I make the beta public or private?

• Like 3

gloomy_manor_mockup.png

Looks like Bingo found himself in a mansion.

I might start posting screenshots of levels in development as well as planned levels if it's okay with everyone. Especially with levels that will appear much later in the game, such as this one for example. What do you guys think of the art assets here? I still have a lot of time before this level will be fully implemented in the game to make some changes or additions.

Edited by Plom510
  • Like 2