A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Bingo The Multiva (Now with Public Beta!)

Plom510

Just made some significant updates to the demo, so go ahead and try it out. Beware that the file size has increased due to how I'll be implementing music as a .wav format rather than the .mp3 format. Having them that way provides a seamless loop instead of a short pause. Also, let me know about what you guys think of the updated music for Verdant Valley, Forbidden Ruins, and Sunset Valley. I got a friend to remake them for me.

Guest Mr Lange

If you want compression and seamless loops, use ogg format, which MMF2 supports. You can get the same kind of compression as mp3s and always have perfect loops.

Guest Mr Lange

That is odd, though I'm not as familiar with the workings of GMS as I am the older versions, nor am I that familiar with how GM handles ogg files. I'm working with someone on a game who is using GMS and he's been able to use ogg files just fine. You could always try leaving them in a folder externally and calling them from the game. I'd also double check all of your settings in GMS, and look this up because chances are someone else has had the same problem.

Edited by Mr Lange

I may start posting some screenshots here and there to showcase my development on the game.

GUYS_I_FIGURED_IT_OUT.png

At the moment I'm just working on a desert level. The enemies here are the same from my Forbidden Ruins screenshot but with an alternative color palette as well as taking only 1 hit. The ground tiles do blend in with the background but I've already fixed that as of this post. What do you guys think of the graphics though?

• Like 1

Might wanna replace the photo-realistic sky backgrounds. I really don't think that they fit in well with the rest of the game. A *bigger drop shadow for the sand would be nice too. Also, since both the enemies in the screenshot are just flipped versions of each other, they don't go along with the light source.

Edited by Proto Dan

I don't really like how the sky looks realistic, but you are going to change it so that OK.

Also the tree trunk looks to basic compared to how detailed the rest of the graphics look.

The grass also looks like it blends in with the background too much.

I finally replaced Bingo's spin dash with a different move!

10313698_655553044493043_754857964481732

Bingo can now Dash on the ground or in the air. As of now, I'm still tweaking how his energy regenerates after the ability is used. If he dashes on the ground, he is still vulnerable. Should I change it so Bingo is invincible while he uses the dash?

Edited by Plom510
  • Like 1

Another update has been made to the demo! You should go back and play the newer version as the Shift to Run removal and Spin Dash replacement will make the game feel more "unique". I would like to share some other news, but I am not currently sure if I can reveal it. The news has nothing to do with what will be in the game if anyone is wondering.

I'd also want to see if anyone can make a better logo for my game as the current one looks very bland. It's okay for normal menu navigation, but the title screen doesn't seem very exciting if you think about it.

Out of what everyone is saying so far, I have attempted to make unique sky backgrounds for my game. I would like to say that they may be hit or miss.

btm_skybox_update.png

TOP LEFT: Verdant Valley                                                                    TOP RIGHT: Forbidden Ruins

BOTTOM LEFT: Sunset Valley                                                              BOTTOM RIGHT: Power Plant

I just made these in Photoshop and this is the best I can do. I am unable to do gradient dithering so I had to work with what I can do. Also, my worst attempt at making clouds can be seen. I will provide before and after screenshots when I have them ready.

Before and after screenshots aren't really that necessary when I could just update the demo. I'll probably do so when I actually have something new to implement besides from these new sky backgrounds. I can say that the Forbidden Ruins sky will be much bigger than what you see here and adjustments will be made to some of the backgrounds in the game.

Edited by Plom510

I just drew a mountain.

frznhllsd_mountain.png

This can also lead to another level that I'm working on. All I will say about this "winter" themed level is that it's a special secret. If anyone iS able tO decode a tiNy little message I've plaCed heRE, I may show a screenshot or two of this Very cOLd snowy moUnTaIn level. I've wOrked oN it for a while and it utilizes assets that won't be seen anywhere else in the game.

Edited by Plom510
  • Like 1

@Spykid

Yes it is! Although I feel like it's a bit early to say that, I will make a formal announcement about it in 2 weeks. I may be able to provide screenshots later today since there are a few art assets that I still need to work on. I may provide a video as well if I'm feeling generous today.

I'll be honest now, it wasn't that easy to make the post I made since I had to cleverly use the words that contained the letters I needed, which would explain how the message's secrecy isn't very subtle. With that said, any critiques on the mountain art? It's a 1536 x 1536 image so it looks HUGE in the game.

Time to show more of my crap character spriting!

BbounceR.png

He looks more like as if he's sitting on a chair reading a book or driving a car, but that's the best I can really do to be honest. I'll also be working on tweaking the physics of Bingo's bounce ability since it wouldn't really make any sense for him to cancel his horizontal momentum as well as gaining a lot of vertical speed if his bounce will be considered a "Butt Bounce" now. I will make it so he falls faster though and make it so he can get back to his original height when the bounce is first initiated. This may make some interesting level design if everything works well.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the demo again.

Now you can see how my new sky backgrounds look like in the game as well as trying out Bingo's new Butt Bounce. I'd really like feedback at this point since it looks like I'm just bumping this topic every now and then.