A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Bingo The Multiva (Now with Public Beta!)

Plom510

=INFO=

Bingo The Multiva is a platformer that takes a young multiva on a journey to stop the evil forces of Darth. There are many challenges that await as well as many bots to destroy, but utilizing Bingo’s need for speed will get you around these obstacles.

=STORY=

Bingo, a young multiva, is travelling around to find the perfect place to settle down. Meanwhile, he takes sight at Darth with his army of robots and figures out that something isn’t right in his world. Our reluctant hero must take matters into his own hands to stop this evil force and preserve peace in the lands. He will also find many surprises during the journey as well as other dangers that are out of this world! Will Bingo be able to succeed in stopping Darth from taking over the world?

=GAMEPLAY=

As Bingo, you can utilize his spin-based abilities to take on Darth’s bots! He can use his Spin Attack to take care of unsuspecting robots. He can curl into a ball with his Spin Jump to manage airborne enemies or Bounce to adjust his landing. If he needs to hurry, he can Sprint to gain extra speed as well as Dash when he really needs to keep things moving.

=UPDATES=

(Will be ordered by date of release, top to bottom)

Version 1.1.2 Demo (6/1/2014)

-Sky backgrounds for the available demo levels have been changed.

-Bingo's bounce ability has been modified as well as the bounce physics being changed.

Version 1.1.1 Demo (5/10/2014)

-The Spin Dash has been removed from Bingo's Moveset.

-Instead, Bingo is now able to use a Dash ability.

-An energy meter has been added to accommodate the inclusion of the Dash ability.

-Minor Adjustments have been made to Forbidden Ruins.

-Adjustments have been made to Power Plant's background in the lower half.

Version 1.1.0 Demo (4/20/2014)

-Bingo now has brand new animations and his color palette has been adjusted to reflect his redesign. Only the Spin Dash animation is still the same as that move will be replaced in the near future.

-Minor level design changes to Verdant Valley, Forbidden Ruins, and Power Plant.

-Additional scenery has been added to Verdant Valley (Flowers), Sunset Valley (Flowers), and Forbidden Ruins (Pillars)

-Music tracks for Verdant Valley, Sunset Valley, and Forbidden Ruins has been updated. I am also transitioning to the .wav format for future tracks so expect future downloads to have a larger file size. Currently, only Power Plant and the Red Coin Bonus Stage still retain the .mp3 format.

-Music for Bingo Emblem Bonus Stage now has different music. Go ahead and give it a listen, and that track is on the .wav format. It'll still need a musical update to reflect the rest of the soundtrack.

-Using the Shift Key to run has been removed, Bingo can now run at full speed naturally.

Post-SAGE 2014 Act 1 Demo (3/14/2014)

-Platforms now have brand new coding as to how they behave. Now Bingo can't get stuck in them. As of this update, you must jump at least over the platform or you'll miss it.

-All of the springs should have a proper fix so you can't get stuck on them.

Post-SAGE 2014 Act 1 Demo (3/13/2014)

-Updated level layouts for Power Plant (3rd level) and Sunset Valley (4th level).

-Tweaked physics based on reviews.

-Attempted a fix for springs. Hopefully you don't get stuck as often.

-Added a tutorial level. I felt like most people weren't aware of the run button as well as other abilities that are available.

-Fixed an issue where an enemy projectile would not despawn after hitting Bingo.

-Added a proper end of the level as well as a new victory theme. Only the tutorial level has the old fade to black ending.

-Fixed an issue where if you go to the left of Verdant Valley (1st level) from the start, you would fall off.

-This new version will write a completely new save file for future demos. I made the mistake of making it write into a file that will be used in the final game. If you played the old demo and collected all of the Red Medals and Bingo Emblems, enjoy your freebies.

-Holding the Up key while releasing the C key will give Bingo a jump much higher than normally with a fully charged Spin Dash.

=DOWNLOAD=

-Windows

MediaFire (This link will send you to the latest demo available)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/udy0kn3hu0k40p1/BingoTheMultivaDEMO_WIN_V1.1.2.zip

-Mac OS X (will be behind on updates)

MediaFire
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1x08z5hz7qvprc9/BingoTheMultivaDEMO_MAC.app.zip

Here is a video of some music samples from my game.

Feedback is appreciated so feel free to express how you feel about the game at its current stage.

Edited by Plom510

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated the first post since SAGE has ended for a while. This is sort of a bump, but for good reason. You'll see that I have an updated demo with fixes based on reviews during SAGE. I hope you guys enjoy it this time and most of your problems are solved.

• Like 1

I can't believe it took me until now to find a proper fix for the platforms. Now the problem of getting stuck in them is nonexistent. I think I may be able to start implementing more platforms in my stages thanks to this find. If you've already downloaded the zip, I recommend you to redownload.

Without spoiling any plot elements, I can say that a Multiva is Bingo's species. They pretty much come in different shapes and forms and some have unique abilities. With Bingo's case, his main ability is speed, but the reason why he shares Sonic's moves is that this is the only gameplay style that I find more suitable in a 2D environment as I came up with the character (albeit as a Chao mind you) in a 3D environment. Not all Multivas are speed-based as some have are more towards flying, elemental, strengths, etc. This is all I can really say at the moment. I hope this answers everyone's question.

As for what Bingo can do that makes him unique, you got me there as I stated above. I could dwelve into his personality if that's what you're looking for, but I'm not that great at describing my characters.

I have some new screenshots of the first area of the game, Verdant Valley.

1795761_639195919462089_1856170554_n.png

Some areas may look familiar, but others are part of different levels that you'll encounter later on. I also have a Facebook page if you would like to get updates on what I have.

http://www.facebook.com/bingothemultiva

Maybe this will spark some interest in discussions.

There's something about the art I really like, might be that it kinda feels like something made in MS Paint but feels so alive and high res (for the most part)

But I am quite honestly, bothered at the fact that Bingo feels a LOT like Sonic and in fact, it only takes me out of the experience, it doesn't feel like another character and a new game, it feels more like a re-skin than anything else, that alone doesn't make this stand alone that much (and he even has Sonic 1's animations).

I mean, I REALLY see all of the effort in here, but the huge lack of originality makes it feel like a Sonic fangame with original the character slapped in there, heck, he's even blue, has red shoes with white stripes, had skin colored arms spins as he jumps and runs fast...which are keywords for describing Sonic. And I doubt personality traits would do much in this case. (Though I don't know much of the story or how the plot goes during the game)

Now, I would suggest changing things up bit to make it feel less of a clone and more like a Sonic inspired game (look at Freedom Planet and Spark TEJ, they used and changed the Sonic formula and made badass stuff with it) which I honestly WOULD dig since doing so allows more a bigger expansion of what a Sonic game offers. But so far, eh.

But please don't take this comment as something offensive, I'm just giving you my opinion on the game so far, don't know if it's INTENTIONAL to be like Sonic, but it really took me out honestly, IT'S waaaaaaaay too similar.

I do wish you good luck with this project! I just wish you maybe consider these things in the future.

Edited by Jassbec

I'm not sure if I have mentioned this yet, but Bingo playing a lot like Sonic here is intentional and for reason.

When I first came up with the character, I was mainly thinking about an open-world 3D game. However, since I'm not able to create such game and I'm limited to a 2D environment, I had to use gameplay similar to the Classic Sonic games. I am open to a few ideas on how to improve Bingo's playstyle, but abilities like his Bounce will be necessary for later levels in the final game.

I'm also in the process of creating new animations so Bingo is not too much like Sonic. I would like to show them but I do not have any proper gifs at the moment. I may update this post to show them if I make any gifs. I could also change the color of his shoes or change their design completely, but I made them simple just to have an easier time making all of the sprites.

EDIT: Here are some .gifs of the new idle and walking animations that I'll be implementing. The idle gif is simulated as the timing of his blink is different in-game.

bingo_idle_new.gifbingo_walk_new.gif

And speaking of the art, a lot of them are made using MS Paint. I'm quite surprised that it gave you that feeling. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Plom510

guise i finihsched mah GAYAEM its really AWSUM!!!

thanks to feedback i made alot of improovements and i maed a brand new state of da art physics engine. i also remaed alot of da spriets in da gaem and i maed new muzic for it. i also change the name of the game form "Bingo The Multiva" to "Bingo The Chao". Bingo haz little babby wings to make him unique and he doesent have shoes anymoar. i hoep u guise liek my brand new original gayaem!

I'm confused and concerned about that post lol.

As for the animations, that walk is odd. His feet stay in front of him when he walks like they can't make up wheather or not they want to go forward or backward. Go back and look over your frames again and smooth that out.

As for your character design, I understand that this was your original idea for him to look, but I seriously just think you need to redesign him from scratch to fix him.

@Highwire4 As much as I don't want to spoil it my post with a poorly done grammar and spelling is obviously an April Fools joke. It's also an EXTREMELY early prototype of a game with the same character. I kind of thought his walk doesn't look great as well, but it may be one of the frames that throws off the balance. At least I do have a file where his body/head/arms/legs are in separate parts so it should be something I can go back to. I do want to make his walk look more like he's jogging as his new running animations will emphasize more speed.

guise i finihsched mah GAYAEM its really AWSUM!!!

thanks to feedback i made alot of improovements and i maed a brand new state of da art physics engine. i also remaed alot of da spriets in da gaem and i maed new muzic for it. i also change the name of the game form "Bingo The Multiva" to "Bingo The Chao". Bingo haz little babby wings to make him unique and he doesent have shoes anymoar. i hoep u guise liek my brand new original gayaem!

This is what I meant when I sed u should change the game

the wall jumping mechanik is from the best i've seen in my life and the physics are so great i cant even begin to describe how perdfct they are

srsly 11/10

and that pillow shading is from the best i've seen by da way

EDIT :

It's also an EXTREMELY early prototype of a game with the same character.

Shit...oops...?

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 1

I am open to a few ideas on how to improve Bingo's playstyle, but abilities like his Bounce will be necessary for later levels in the final game.

I'd suggest tweaking his physics, such as his running speed and jump and also giving him his own unique set of powerups; something to distinguish him from Sonic. Also, I'd change his sprites to look less like Sonic; if you don't feel confident, there are many great spriters out there on the internets.

At least it isn't April Fools now, so I hope its safe to post this.

bingo_possible_redesign.png

I think I should change Bingo's design so at the very least he can look different. As you can see, I'll be giving him new shoes. I'm also providing 3 options as to how he can look. Exhibit A is just him in his new shoes, which I personally want to keep. Exhibit B gives him a different color palette where his arms are orange, his eyebrows are fully green, and his shoes are white and blue. Exhibit C omits his eyebrows, but he looks a bit weird, while his arms are lime and his shoes are green and black.

I could have a mix of the options but I would like some suggestions on what design I should use from now on. I'm also trying to stick with a similar look to give myself an easier time remaking all of his sprites. If you have any ideas for a different color palette, you can post them.

Guest Mr Lange

I vote C with green eyebrows. This gives him two dominant colors which don't clash so much, and he should have those eyebrows for expression.

what other designs do you have besides pallet swaps he still kinda reminds me of

Chao.gif mixed with another sonic dude

I really think you should look into some creature and anthropomorphic designs and come up with something a bit more original
But if your heart is really set on your design then i agree with Mr Lang

Unfortunately the only other design I have for Bingo is him with a slightly different head shape. I've also been attached to his design for a couple of years now and it feels alien to make him look radically different at this point. Either way, I'm taking it that your vote is option C with green eyebrows.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new screenshots this time.

1511362_646034595444888_3391633813250913

The screenshot with what appears to be a miniboss is currently a mock-up as he's not programmed in the game yet. Bingo is still using his old color palette since I still need to finish his new animations before I move on to giving him the new colors based on the final design I picked out for him.

10153092_645188338862847_535680165292061

I also got a friend of mine to remix the game's soundtrack so I'm holding off on an updated demo until that's done. I can post the tracks somewhere if anyone wants to listen.