A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Time Twisted - Demo Updated

OverbounD

I imagine a lot of you thought it was too difficult, so it will be interesting to see how that effects what people think of it. I opted to create something somewhat difficult in the hopes that seasoned Sonic fans would be challenged. My goal was recreate the challenge Sonic was when we were all younger. So I hope you play it get frustrated, quit, and play it again later. Hang in there, you'll get the hang of it.

It's also worth noting that I really didn't get to finish Frigid Fortress Future. What you see in the demo is what I could throw together under pressure. The level will certainly be polished over time. 

The entire team and I would appreciate everyone's feedback on Time Twisted. 

I had fun with it. There were a handful of flaws though.

• Metal Sonic gives no indication of when he's going to attack in the intro fight. A subtle "charging up" animation or a split-second target reticle would work.
  • Knuckles can't climb over some ledges.
  • The collision detection got me stuck in the floor when I went too fast. This only seemed to happen in Frigid Fortress though.
  • Jumping out of the gravity orbs causes your character to automatically use his secondary ability.
  • Knuckles has his OVA hat on in the character select screen... but not when you play as him? What a tease!

It was a great demo aside from those issues. As far as demos go, I'd put it up there with Retro Sonic, Sonic Nexus '08, Project Mettrix, and Zero Remastered.

Edited by Duplex

EDIT: Revised after playing through it another time or two. Opinion's a good lot more positive.

I like a good challenge every now and then, but a lot of the object / enemy placement in Attaction Attack really just made it feel like there was little to no room for error. Almost all Sonic games have that sort of difficulty gap that gives you that space (minus Unleashed and Lost World maybe?), but I really don't think it really did any favors to the game itself regarding it being fun. I just found myself frustrated with how certain things were spaced just close enough to each other or just far enough away where you couldn't move through there without getting hurt or falling to your death, unless you were expected to master every specific area.

The level design itself in most areas besides that though really is nice. The second stage is one I like a lot due to the amount of downward slopes and ramps you can traverse, and the third one only triples this (that's my favorite stage by far). These are a good bit more lenient, and I feel like it's difficulty is a bit more in line with what I like I guess, though there were those couple of pits you couldn't really see coming.

The colors were sometimes a bit of a clutter, though. I find the visuals to be really stunning and probably the highest point of the game (besides general controls and game feel), but while it could be my eyes being weird sometimes, everything was so trippy with it's palette (especially for Attraction Attack) that it was a bit hard to distinguish what's what on the screen when moving on the fly, sometimes. Sure, I can get behind keeping the "CD" or "Chaotix" style visual, but if overdone it seems to be a bit noisy on the eyes. Not saying it was, though, AA just seemed to throw me through a loop.

The music is oddly also not as peppy as I was expecting.. nor varied in instrumentation. The tracks themselves have really nice composition though, and they're definitely not bad to listen to. I guess I was expecting something with slightly funkier sounds and heavier emphasis on both percussion and drums. (The title screen especially caught me off guard with that.)

Overall, its a great and solid effort. I think the visuals and controls are probably some of the best SAGE has seen. I guess with the first stage and getting repeated game overs I wasn't really enjoying it, but when I finally got past it I started to like the game a lot better. Either way though, I have full-on respect for what's come of this, and I can see its brimming with talent. Hope you'll appreciate the review, yo.

Edited by Azookara
  • Like 1

I can't recall what it was for me either, but upon just playing again as Tails in AA, I went back to present time near the end of the stage and he somehow ended up way out of the stage boundaries and I couldn't complete it.

Also, another question: when defeating Metal Sonic in Viridian Valley, are you supposed to just sit there after the score? I couldn't tell if you were supposed to be waiting for something or if the game glitched up on me because it just left me hanging there for a solid 10 minutes.

Edited by Azookara

VVZ's score card is the end.  The demo isn't exactly polished (Knux for instance is basically unplayable on FFZ future), but then... it is a demo.

I think we'll be releasing an updated demo before too long with some extras in it and hopefully most of the nasty stuff from in here cleaned up. I suggested that we up the life count for the demos considerably for what its worth.  On the other hand, my only involvement with this project so far has been a couple gimmicks and enemies... so no promises.

I'm having a difficult time with this game, because rolling is broken. You can't roll if you're holding forward, like you can in all the other Sonic games :|

I hate to spoil your opinion of the old games, but you can't do that in S3K. I'm not sure about the others off the top of my head, but I don't think that was standard behavior in any of them.  You are just spoiled on Sonic Worlds.  For what it's worth, I prefer that behavior as well.

• Like 1

Alright, after some testing, yeah you guys are right. Part of it is probably due to Worlds "intoxication", since I've been doing a loooot of testing for the new Delta release. But I think most of it is due to the keyboard controls; with a directional pad I can roll my thumb from forward to down, which is probably where I got this notion from. You can't roll your finger on the arrow keys of a keyboard. And I don't know if I can use a gamepad in Time Twisted without an external application like xpadder.

Your joysticks should work if plugged in but there is no way to set keys yet. I'm sorry that some of you are having issues with the Window size not sure what to do about it this very second. We worked very hard to get the demo done in time but it wasn't tested that much so there are a great deal of bugs. Especially in Frigid Fortress Future. But it sounds like most of you are really enjoyed the demo and that's only a small sample of what is to come.

First time I played it I wasn't impressed, but that's because I was trying to record it and recording stuff seems to put me in a bad mood.

So I came back to it and beat it in one sitting. Take that. It honestly wasn't that hard, but I just spent the entire weekend playing sonic 2,3, and knuckles over and over again.

Very impressive! had some interesting graphical snafus but I think that's just my computer being old.

In (whatever the ice level is, the name slips me at the moment), during the area with the reverse gondola gimmicks, near the top I fell off the platform and went back down... but fell so fast that I broke collision detection. And when I went past the bottom boundary of the level... I did not die. Even Sonic CD has this feature enabled in all levels as a failsafe, despite only having one bottomless pit in the entire game (Metallic Madness Act 3).

Screenshot92.png

Where is your QA team?!