A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Time Twisted - Demo Updated

OverbounD

Sonic 1 had a boss at the end of 3 acts. Sonic 2 had a boss at the end of every 2 acts, Sonic 3 had bosses on every level. With each Sonic game the progression or flow of bosses and levels has evolved and I intend to continue that trend by putting bosses in surprising places. The only reason you see it as an issue is because it's not what you are used to. But for me that's a positive thing not a negative.

• Like 3

There will be lots of bosses certainly, but I want the pattern of appearance to be unpredictable. Thus why there is a boss at the start of level one, and surprise one at the end of the demo. Maybe some bosses will just be large badniks that take multiple hits to destroy. Others might be specific to the future or past.

Sonic 1 had a boss at the end of 3 acts. Sonic 2 had a boss at the end of every 2 acts, Sonic 3 had bosses on every level. With each Sonic game the progression or flow of bosses and levels has evolved and I intend to continue that trend by putting bosses in surprising places. The only reason you see it as an issue is because it's not what you are used to. But for me that's a positive thing not a negative.

Respect.

• 2 weeks later...

Developers are free to disregard feedback to preserve their artistic vision if they so choose. There seems to be this attitude creeping around that if developers disregard some suggestions their games are considered failures, and frankly it's unproductive.

OK, so I don't want to start digging stuff up from other places, but this is relevant so I'm gonna do it. Yes, it is unproductive to suggest that devs are a failure for not listening to some fan input, but there are some things that need to be made clear, so let's begin.

First of all, I absolutely love this game. It's graphically beautiful and has wonderful music. The enemy design and level design is for the most part rock solid. However, in the areas where it becomes frustrating, it shows. Of course there is nothing wrong with a good hard game, but there are some areas in the game which aren't hard but cheap. For example (I think it's in AAZ 1 Past), there is an orbinaut near a Time Post which cuts you off from reaching it as you have to go up a slope to get to it. However, the orbinaut's bricks still hurt you when curled. Because of the slope, Sonic is knocked backwards and lands at the bottom of the slope. I'd suggest placing the badnik better or choosing a new one. 

I have bought up bottomless pits in the past so I'll leave the subject be, but I suggest you really listen to what Highwire says in his review of this game. From watching his reviews as wells as reading Sparks' guide and watching Sonic Dissected, I've learned so much and I feel that I can say I've grown as a dev because of these things. Overbound, I do not doubt your skill or you vision (it is a wonderfully unique vision and a brilliant approach to a fan game in a community where the official games just get easier all the time), but I feel you should listen to those supporting the game just a bit more and be more open to input. Thanks for the wonderful content we've been able to play so far and I believe it will only get better. I look forward to the day when I can play the full game.

Highwire didn't even play the current version of the game! If you recall it was like 8 am my time I had been up all night working on SAGE and Time Twisted. And you and a bunch of other people were constantly messaging me constantly to open SAGE. That is why the game is a bit rough around the edges and I am well aware of all the things you take issue with.

• Like 5

There will be lots of bosses certainly, but I want the pattern of appearance to be unpredictable. Thus why there is a boss at the start of level one, and surprise one at the end of the demo. Maybe some bosses will just be large badniks that take multiple hits to destroy. Others might be specific to the future or past.

Now that's very intriguing.

I have been programming the opening cutscene for the game. Here's a screenshot:

Metal%20Escapes%20from%20TLP.png

Most of the art was done by DerZocker in this shot.

As a team we have outlined what we want to accomplish for SAGExpo 2014 Act 2.
If all goes according to plan the demo for SAGExpo includes:

2 new acts Drifting Dynamo and Tidal Tubes, a total of 5 acts for the demo

Special Stages

Joystick button mapping

An opening cutscene

If you are interested in following the game's progress consider following me on twitter. I post things on twitter that don't make it on my site or in forums.
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

As I have planned now you will race metal sonic around a race track similar to F-Zero or the original Mario Kart. You will have to avoid obstacles and avoid falling off the track while trying to catch Metal Sonic to hit him. Hitting Metal Sonic 3 times knocks a stone/emerald from him for you to pick up and complete the special stage. As you race around the track your time will be limited either by laps or a count down clock.

That's subject to change, since the engine is WIP I'll have to make tweaks as I see what works. 

What isn't subject to change is how many special stages there will be and how you access them. The special stages are the key purpose to time travel. You can only collect Chaos Emeralds in the future and Time Stones in the past. So you have to travel through time to obtain all Special Stages and thus the good ending. There will be 14 Special Stages, 7 for the past and like wise for the future. That means I'll be introducing a 7th Time Stone into the game much like Sonic 2 added a 7th Chaos Emerald. 

• Like 2