A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Boom Video Game (Wii U/3DS)

Stritix

I personally think that people held their hopes up to games like Sonic Adventure and Generations, in short, the main series in general and that's why people are let down. It seems to me that while there is apparent things that stand out as a little off key but otherwise people are mostly saying (on other places, not here mind you) that it's not fast enough and it isn't a sonic game and it doesn't have what a sonic game should have and that it already looks bad but I think that's mostly (not fully but mostly) why people feel this way. This game was not meant to be like a main Sonic game which is why this is separate from the main series in the first place. If this was meant to be like those older/newer/original Sonic games it wouldn't have went under the title of a Sub series. It would have been a normal game from SEGA but that's why this is different it's meant to try something new. and before angry replies, let me tell you:

That I DO UNDERSTAND where the complaints and dislikes come from, I have some quirks here and there that I feel uncomfortable with myself, BUT I can cope seeing as I knew this was meant to be different. I didn't hope to see another main series TYPE game because I knew it was meant to be "different" that DOESN'T mean I don't have my own complaints. but it should be considered when posting complaints. As for mine... I'll save them till later :3 maybe I'll make a topic about the Sonic series in general or something.

I guess a sonic game where you go fast AND maintain majority control of Sonic is just never going to happen again, I get it and i now give up. Sonic is put on 3 rails literally everywhere he goes now, and even in this game he still looks majorly stuck to the 2D plane whenever platforming starts. It just feels like such a freaking cop-out design wise....so annoying, REALLY wish it didnt become the norm.

No, this isn't anywhere close to a Sonic game, and I don't think its worth it to even view it that way. As such, i really don't have any fair criticisms.

I will say though, the current combat engine actually looks worse than the werehog's. Stretchy arms never animated as inorganic as that odd laser whip does, which seems to be spammed in nearly every aspect of this game's gameplay regardless of character. Which just kind of seems odd to me, considering you play with 4 of them and they're supposed to have different abilities.

Edit:

Okay I do have criticisms. Even though it looks completely different, this game screams the same problem I had with Lost World on first glance, which is it looks way too compartmentalized. You have your 2D speed sections, full 3D control areas, combat areas, 2D platform areas, 2D Rail areas, 3D on-rails automovement sections...

Just...a sonic game with a little consistency is all I need. It's why Unleashed and Generations worked so well for me. This is a brand new game, why does it look like this. That's all.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

*Clears throat* I still think it looks like a Sonic game, just maybe[/ib] more gimmicky. While we saw some gameplay we haven't touched all of it yet. Also I didn't see any 2D platforming yet? Unless you're talking about the 3DS Version? It's just like they said, they found inspiration from many of the titles and put their own twist on it to make something new. Not necessarily, "Not Sonic". The core of Sonic which was long forgotten may not be there but the 'Sonic' (not just in title or looks) is still there. They just [in my eyes] added combat to it, which isn't new to the franchise. Heroes -> 06 Had a problem where they had many, many 'combat' sections which weren't fun because you would, in most cases, just mash a button repeatedly. Also the combat would just be homing attacking over and over. Now that there is real 'combat moves' it should make things at least a little more interesting even if you just press, say, the punch button. I think that the Adventure games, genre roulette or not, got enemy placement (besides mech stages) right for the most part. Besides enemies popping down from the sky on you in SA2 they were placed where they could be a challenge and an obstacle but for more skilled players just a breeze and since these games for the most part it hasn't been the same. What that had to do with Boom... um... I lost my thought but I'll try to post what I was thinking:

Combat was pretty prevalent even before Boom. Boom makes it interesting by adding real combat moves. Hopefully Boom will place the enemies in right spots so that it doesn't serve as a nuisance. Ever since Heroes combat became a nuisance because of one button spam and bad enemy placement, hopefully Boom won't do the same.

Back to viewing it as a Sonic game. This has been said so many times in different places that, A ) It's not supposed to be a "Sonic" game and B ) It still has the essence of a "Sonic" game. I'm leaning towards more of the essence of one side. Even though it wasn't meant to be a "Sonic" game it still has those aspects that make it one.

- Platforming

- Exploration

- 'Speed'

- a couple other things not worth mentioning at the moment.

From what I've seen so far it still has "Sonic" in there. No not just the speed sections but what it's shown. Like for example Sonic can spindash leading to a different path than Knuckles, which is cool because that's part of what made S3K pretty darn good.

Errg... Don't you hate when you have to do something in the middle of typing a well thought out something then you just loose everything... sigh I'll post an edit or something once I gather my thoughts. 

The fact that it has multiple playable characters doesn't automatically make it the best though. Flip side to that is that Sonic only games are also not automatically indicative of good quality. It's actually just based on whether or not the game itself is good. I mean we've all noticed the lack of other characters but considering SEGA can't even figure out what to do with Sonic by himself even, the lack of other characters lately was probably for the best. The thing is this game doesn't really seem well put together so far judging from the gameplay videos and I'm kinda surprised people are hyped up for it despite the fact that it has a lot of beat 'em up styled combat that actually appears worse than the werehog. The thing is, while generic, at least the werehog was competently done in some regards - this looks like it needs a lot more work. I've been hearing the comparison of 'epic mickey but with sonic characters' and I'm not really sure I like the sounds of that.

Also snake villain guy is incredibly boring. I'm not really a fan of the designs they're coming up with for this game, original or not (aside from Sticks, its too bad I hate everything else about her). Speaking of designs again too:

10363350_489547694509959_309228421982196

Someone on facebook posted up that picture and the more I see all the designs side by side the more it just highlights to me how much I absolutely cannot stand the boom designs. The characters have lost a LOT of charm and are no longer really appealing to me. I'm personally quite fond of the original designs at the top, but the modern ones in row two I don't have anything against either 'cause I don't hate modern Sonic haha. But I'll be damned if I ever warm up to the strange human like proportions of the last set.

• Like 2

I forgot Amy used to look like that. I kind of miss that CD design.

the fact that this game has OTHER characters to play as makes this one of the BEST sonic games in awhile.

didn't anyone notice the lack of character's in recent sonic games?

I'd say this being a good game would make it the best sonic game in a while. There is no feature any Sonic game can claim that will make it good. Thats why Sonic sucks now. The only inspiration anyone draws when they make a Sonic game is what group of fans they can appease the most with which shallow buzz features they havent tried recently. Unleashed was the last Sonic game that actually tried to invent something... But everything else has just been shallow emulation of retro sonic, fanservice, and whatever seems to be working for Mario at the time.

I am not a fan of the new redesigns. However Mercury pointed out to me that the new Sonic Boom design makes his face a lot more expressive. Modern Sonic always seems relaxed with just a slight smile. He never really expresses the cockiness of classic sonic or show much emotion at all. So I rather like that aspect of the redesigns even if the rest of the designs seem needless.

I am not a fan of the new redesigns. However Mercury pointed out to me that the new Sonic Boom design makes his face a lot more expressive. Modern Sonic always seems relaxed with just a slight smile. He never really expresses the cockiness of classic sonic or show much emotion at all. So I rather like that aspect of the redesigns even if the rest of the designs seem needless.

I don't know why they removed the forward-facing mouth from Sonic. He just looks stupid awkward now in alot of situations. For some reason its actually exaggerated in Sonic, while characters like Tails and Amy retain their mouth placement from the Adventure games. 

• Like 1

Well, I know I'm still totally on board with the cartoon. I think that will be great and I can't wait for it. The games though, I just can't decide how I feel about. For Rise of Lyric, obviously due to BRB's pedigree it looks a lot like a PS2 Naughty Dog/Insomniac platformer. Which is pretty neat for those folk who are into that but when I tried them back in the day I couldn't get quite into it. (That said I have been meaning to give them another shot).

For...uhh...Sticks Gone Amiss 3D I'd actually be totally down for a slower, Metroid-vania Sonic game...if it didn't have the time limit. I really hope there's a demo on this one because I really like some of the ideas presented but am also very apathetic towards the rest.

I think that's just how I feel about these games, apathetic. I'm really hoping they surprise me though!

After taking a look at that pic someone posted on the last page with the classic/modern/boom designs I just realized how much better Boom's designs are compared to Modern's. I mean, don't get me wrong, they still suck mad ducks, but holy shit the modern characters look generic and uninteresting. Classic designs had personality to them, you could tell Tails was a small and innocent-looking child or that Sonic was a cocky motherfucker but in the modern series he just looks like the generic ever-smiling hero, Tails is the not-so-cool-looking sidekick, Amy is just "hey, I'm pink and I wear a dress 'cus I'm a girl".

These new designs are still pretty bad, but at least you can see what they are trying to do with them (except for Amy that seems to look sluty whenever... unless that's what they were going for and if so, kudos for them).

The gameplay video looks pretty meh at the running portion of it, but I did liked the combat however. I'm a sucker for 3d action/adventure games and I take that over the boost-to-win gameplay anyday. So... yeah, I might take a look on this game when it comes out... on youtube, because Wii Us are for girls.

Even though I'm still not convinced, I can appreciate what BRB is trying to do. Sonic always sucked in 3D, yeah, yeah, Adventure was sort of cool and Generations was a pretty awesome game, but I prefer Sonic 1~2~3~CD over them anytime and not because nostalgia goggles or because those are better games than the later ones, but because the gameplay we grew up with simply doesn't work in 3D. So I can respect BRB for trying something completly new, maybe it works, fuck... who knows?

Either way, I'm still hyped about the cartoon. I like the silly humor Sonic games have got recently, even though sometimes it's out-of-place or a bit too much, it is much better than the "trying too hard to be serious about oversized colorful animals with superpowers" that we had going on for the last decade or so and the preview we got sincerely made me laugh and it sounds like it will be a cool series.

Welp, don't mind me giving opinions like anybody should give a fuck. Just wanted to share my feelings about this new installment in the franchise.

• Like 1

Aside from turning Amy and Knuckles into solid tropes, I could really care less about the visual design of the characters....or the visual design of anything in a Sonic game, really. It's always made out to be a big deal, but no matter what awkward angle sonic's mouth is hanging at, or which enemy or stage concept they pull from sonic 1 or 2 (never 3 or S&K for whatever reason...) it rarely stops the game from being boring.

And Sonic would work just fine in 3D, if Sonic Team was good at platformers anymore. And it's an absolute pity the only gameplay footage of this game makes it look just like a Sonic Team developed sonic game, only with extremely western styled animation.

Edited by Serephim

I know that I personally care a lot about the visual design/art direction in a lot of different games, depending on the genre and the aim of it I guess. For me Sonic used to have a really nice and distinct style that has kinda felt really half-assed as of late. I get that for a lot of people the visual stuff doesn't really matter but I consider it a part of the package. I mean I'm not so petty to complain about his mouth (tho the blue arms thing really bothers me for some reason haha!) I still think the series used to have a really nice identity that has gotten super muddy and gross lately. It's kinda superficial in a way that depending on the series I'm bound to give it shit if I don't like the aesthetics being changed up in a way that aren't on par with the quality of what first drew me in. It's like listening to a band that made really awesome rock music that started making low grade pop tracks a kid in his basement could make in fruity loops.

But yeah even if it had the most amazing art style it wouldn't make the game any less boring, but it'd be at least one less thing I'd have to complain about haha.

Visual design is pretty heavy for me when it comes to games too, but i've just been betrayed by Sega so many times with so many of their games, it just isnt worth paying attention to anymore. Thats why i almost wish Sonic Team would just go off and do something crazy like overhauling all the characters and stuff. Because I might actually see something new from them for a change.

I'm starting to believe Sonic's place in retro history is completely at its detriment. It just makes it impossible to move forward anymore, and it feels like Sega just stumbles over themselves every time they try. They can't keep consistent character design, world setting, story mood, anything. 

So the visual redesigns of these characters at least do one thing in my book, which is remove expectations and allow some freedom again. Which seems like it didn't work, because this gameplay just looks waaaayyy too similar to ST's sonic design, which has a high probability to end up in a mediocre, jumbled experience.

• Like 1

Honestly, I feel like we (the core sonic fanbase) are afraid of change. I don't like the designs, but they aren't bad in others eyes. My best friend plays just about as much sonic as I do. When I asked this friend about the designs a few days ago, he said he could care less about them. He just sees the game as another sonic game. The casual fanbase DOES NOT notice the stuff we notice AT ALL. It's really only us who notice these things, no one else cares... It's like when I was a little kid, I didn't even notice sonic changed between S3K and adventure. I was little and I just wanted to play sonic! I could care less about the change.

Anyways, the point is, that while these may not be the best designs ever, they're not bad either, and I feel were just "afraid" of the change.

• Like 2

To be fair though, I'm like this regarding designs/aesthetics in more than just games - cartoons, comics - pretty much anything with a huge visual component I put a lot of emphasis on the visual design a lot of the time unless I find the core experience super satisfying, so this isn't just a Sonic series thing for me.

• Like 1

Honestly, I feel like we (the core sonic fanbase) are afraid of change. I don't like the designs, but they aren't bad in others eyes. My best friend plays just about as much sonic as I do. When I asked this friend about the designs a few days ago, he said he could care less about them. He just sees the game as another sonic game. The casual fanbase DOES NOT notice the stuff we notice AT ALL. It's really only us who notice these things, no one else cares... It's like when I was a little kid, I didn't even notice sonic changed between S3K and adventure. I was little and I just wanted to play sonic! I could care less about the change.

Anyways, the point is, that while these may not be the best designs ever, they're not bad either, and I feel were just "afraid" of the change.

That's true, the casual fanbase doesn't care or notice. With long-running IPs like this, it's usually the core fanbase thats the most critical to changes. Fans bitch anytime something is changed which is inevitable....but when something is changed and doesn't work, thats where a problem shows up. Sonic gets so many fundamental changes to the formula that are never good enough to shut people up, and it creates distrust. I think that if at any point in the past, if Sega had just stuck to their guns with a single formula, Sonic would be in a much better place now and nobody would have anything to bitch about. 

But instead we get stuff like Lost World, something that tries to appeal to everyone at once, and just feels like a jumbled mess to fans and critics alike.

• Like 2