A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

I believe it's happening for a same reason I experienced in MMF2. His tiles must be rendering in D3D and the camera position is not at a perfect position away to keep the tiles at exactly 100.0% original scale. When the scale is offset and due to decimal error, the tiles can occasionally move a pixel apart and you get those...cuts.

I ended up always setting the scale for tiles to the size it needs to be multiplied by a tiiiiiiny factor to slightly increase it large enough to always connect those gaps, for the most part anyway. It's practically unnoticeable and makes things look nicer. =]

The gaps began to show while using"interpolation between pixels" which softened most of the hard edges on the sprites, especially while close to the cam, but now it also fades the tile edges into the alpha spacing on the tilesheet. If I adjust the tilesheet, I might be able to fix it.

I ended up always setting the scale for tiles to the size it needs to be multiplied by a tiiiiiiny factor to slightly increase it large enough to always connect those gaps, for the most part anyway. It's practically unnoticeable and makes things look nicer. =]

Hmm..I don't think I can scale the tiles in GM, but I can readjust the tile spacing settings to shave the tile edges a bit more.

I like everything but the Sonic head, It looks like he got a swollen left eye XD

I love that sprite.

Overbound, this looks very impressive.

My only suggection is to add some variaty to color scheme. Everything looks so... purple.

Oh and just like Tenny said, this sonic head looks weird.

Sonic CD color schemes tended to look pretty uniform like that actually. Might consider decreasing luminescence of the sky by a smidgen though.
maybe if you make the sky color darker it wouldn't blend so much with the foreground. Although, nice job!

Yeah I may even change the color of the BG but it will be different one way or another. But your right about Sonic CD I try to limit the amount of base colors I used to about 5. That of course is excluding Sonic, black, white and gray as needed, and sometimes I make an exception if its for the background.

Or you could try to make the foreground brighter than the background to make it more noticable and more how the lighting should react.

Its a night time level so I don't think I can go any brighter.

"Sonic the Hedgehog" would fit perfectly in the neon signs, or maybe "sonic time twisted', or maybe the zone name?. Heck put "SFGHQ" or some other website in there.

That's a good idea SFGHQ I could also put names of everyone who's contriputed to the game quite a bit. Things like MFZB owns, Damizean Rocks, LarkSS is god, so on down the long list.

Thats a great idea actually, I remember playing an old demo of nexus in which there was a neon sign saying "Rael is sexy." you could include contributors names in funny ways like that.

Here is my mock up, very early and not nessesarily anything special...yet.

mockup01.jpg

I need to create a lighting rig for the game, and I really need to shade the textures more. the head, and top half of the body I have shaded so far, but the arms and legs still look radioactive.

I should probably explain the game's concept. Basically an action game with RPG elements, you can switch party members on the fly to use their signature magic and abilities.

The Hud shows what character is selected, what magic attack the character uses, Health, magic, exp to next level, and ammo if applicable.

And yes I'm quite aware that my map looks like utter shite.

I remember an earlier version of that from forever ago, Zenor. It's shaping up nicely!

haha, thanks. I tried to move on to something more original and still keeping the Sonic1/CD graphics style as a practice.

I like it but its too blue. I'm all for not using many colors in levels see my Springy Zone picture a few pages back. But you've got to at least have 2 colors don't you think? All I see is blue. Still I very much like that foreground.

I noticed that as well. I'm probably going to move to a more pinkish/Yellowish color tone for the foreground. I can always transform those crystals into something else by changing some colors, but then I'll have to find another alliteration.

Because you cannot push blocks you did not provide pushing code for. =]

Ohoho, I see what you did there. :P

haha zenor what about that island level that looked exactly like the one I was working on at the time?

What a coincidence it was.. It's probably lost in one of my backup folders along with that desert level, I guess. Maybe I'll dig it out of its own grave sometime, I'll just have to find another basic pattern for it. Your island level disappeared too, didn't it?

That island level was originally made for my own side project. I canned that project though, and gave all the resources to Emerald Ties... but I don't know where I can fit the island level in the game. It's a shame, because along with my ice level it's my best work! It looks a lot better now than it did in the screens I posted here back then.

I'm thinking about cutting a dimension from my game and making it isometric, these renders look pretty good compared to my previous mockup IMO.

render.png

Hopefully I can get the character sprite sheets assembled over break (since it seems as if I'll have nothing going on ATM :tsleep: )

I'll have to make a topic once I have finalized some of the game's graphics.

What are you making these models with?

3Ds max. But all I do is take low poly spheres and cylinders and move individual verticies around...so I dont see the need for the specific software even. The renders are also done with 3Ds max with one camera and one light source.

I could do renders of a sonic model too if you guys would like that.

EDIT- I would suggest using sprite forge for rendering 3D models, My mesh isn't compatible with it, due to how all the textures are mapped.

ooaweaio.png

Well this is Sonic Henceforth now... Before the "copyf@gs" start to say "mimimi Sonic 4 copy" I want you guys to know that I've the idea first. That's why the name "Henceforth" appears. Unfortunelly Sonic 4 was more faster than I. And Looks like my "Henceforth" became true. Anyone who has any doubt bout that, can ask for Endri, I've show the idea to him in the middle of last year.

Btw... This is a mockup yet. The gameplay stills the same as the one on the videos. About the boost, at the time I've made the HUDs on the mockup, I was without creativity so I just don't make it. >:

Like I said, it's a mockup, stills has some bugs and the foreground is temporary...