A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

attachment.php?attachmentid=1650&stc=1&d=1376021652

I've been adding the balancing on edges animation for the characters and a most bizarre thing happened: Tails' glowing sprite copies for his super form face the wrong side if he's facing the edge. I looked all over the debugger, event list and the animations and nothing seemed wrong. As a test, I flipped the animations and they still faced away from the edge!

The problem only happens with this animation. If main Tails is facing away from the edge, the copies correctly use a second animation as I intended. I wonder if this problem will also happen when I work on Super Sonic/Knuckles... :squestion:

Edit: Had no problem with Super Sonic. Turns out the Tails objects are somehow defying programming to play the wrong animation, despite what the debugger says. I attempted to create another animation slot to use and the problem just got inverted. As a test, I used the transformation animation in place of the balancing one. This caused the Tails objects to freak out and use other animations such as bubble gulping. What.

Edit2: Ok, looks like I found out what's wrong. The main tails animations weren't really in sync with the others. Crisis averted. Time to save and hope nothing explodes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1651&stc=1&d=1376024399

This has been Emerson's daily MMF2 freak out, thanks for reading.

post-2967-138639765408_thumb.png

post-2967-13863976541_thumb.png

SO I'm on a team of about 30 other people working on a fan game that I can't really talk about but I can show off all I like. I'm a concept artist and level designer and we're working on a desert theme.

[qimg]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/212/6/c/sft_desert_01_by_sonicbommer-d6g44s8.png[/qimg]

Kind of a painted canyon kind of look is what I'm going for. The theme for the level isn't final yet so any ideas for a desert level would be appreciated.

That is pretty cool.

But... Something else got my attention in your post:

"I'm on a team of about 30 other people".

The bigger the teams are, the harder it is to manage 'em and I can say that with experience. So... Beware. I wouldn't like to see such a pretty concept going to waste.

That is pretty cool.

But... Something else got my attention in your post:

"I'm on a team of about 30 other people".

The bigger the teams are, the harder it is to manage 'em and I can say that with experience. So... Beware. I wouldn't like to see such a pretty concept going to waste.

I have 8 or so years programming experience, but I've never worked on a team of more than 4 people, And even 4 people was hectic.

So 30? Wow.

Gee, thanks, I wish I knew about this a long time ago though, I've already switched to genesis sprites.

Except for mighty.

Does anyone know where I can find mighty sprites without the ring?

The 2 very common ones have messed up, well, everything.

These: http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/sprites/Sonic/Chaotix/Mighty%2002%20copy.gif

Need some help on this.

539691_503129629761928_118633135_n.jpg

This is supposed to be a replica of the Genesis system palette, rendered through SDL and OpenGL.

The palette is essentially a matrix, with colors sorted by hue.

All colors are stored in the SAME Genesis format (16-bit, 0x0RGB).

This is in normal mode, and there also is Highlight and Shadow mode, but my concern is that the colors are too dark, or that not all colors seem to be there (ignore the cornflower blue background).

Can any of the artists here give me a 512 colors palette reference or tell me if my impressions are right or wrong?

Sorry for bad image quality.

I believe I fixed it. It may seem weird because I'm rendering all of them on a line. Later I'll try to make something like LiBi posted.

paltest.png

This is only normal mode rendered, though. Shadow mode also seems OK, but highlight mode is still getting on my nerves. I'm afraid I'll have to make the algorythm myself.

Dumb myself forgot to put MASKTOBYTE(x) on every time you get a color...

If anyone there is interested in C programming, here's my code.

void renderpalette(palette* pal)
{
	int i;
	float colorpsize = (float)WIN_WIDTH / (float)pal->numcolors;

for(i = 0; i < pal->numcolors; i++)
	{
		float icoord = (float)i * colorpsize;
		color c = pal->data[i];
		if(currentmode == 0)      c = SHADOWCOLOR(c);
		else if(currentmode == 2) c = HIGHLIGHTCOLOR(c);

glColor3b(MASKTOBYTE(GETRCOLOR(c)),
			      MASKTOBYTE(GETGCOLOR(c)),
			      MASKTOBYTE(GETBCOLOR(c)));
		glBegin(GL_QUADS);
				glVertex2f(icoord, 0.0f);
				glVertex2f(icoord + colorpsize, 0.0f);
				glVertex2f(icoord + colorpsize, colorpsize * 50);
				glVertex2f(icoord, colorpsize * 50);
		glEnd();

}
}

EDIT: Just noticed that I mustn't sort them by hue... using a much likely not-well-implemented quicksort.

The result is...

paltest-1.png

EDIT 2:

I'm done.

paltest-2.png

The full code is here.

DisclaimerBlur.png

Just a disclaimer I'm working on, the disclaimer has a loop movement of right to left. (In other words, it moves from right to left, that's why it's a little off centered) Also the circle rotates and the checkered lines move as well.

What do you think?

Does the whole background move as one or each part moves separately or...?

I like it, although the colors don't seem to fit in some way. They seem to call other color or something. Perharps you should consider putting an outlined logo or something on the black part.

Also, I don't wanna be a jackass, but your game name seems to be

deleted!

:D cool.

(Will delete this once you see it)

I am an old member, but I couldnt get my old account to work, so made a new one. But thanks for the welcome : D

And for the edit, yes, the engine will be opensource, once I get all code cleaned (it will take forever -.-)

And it's made with Game Maker 8.1 (a bit limited talking about huge engines or games) but I think it can work.

I am an old member, but I couldnt get my old account to work, so made a new one. But thanks for the welcome : D

And for the edit, yes, the engine will be opensource, once I get all code cleaned (it will take forever -.-)

And it's made with Game Maker 8.1 (a bit limited talking about huge engines or games) but I think it can work.

Welcome back, then :P

and I'm pretty excited for the engine, it will be cool. Good luck cleaning.