A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Musical Similarities

I'm a very musical person. I listen to music nonstop. I consider myself an accomplished musician.

I play songs by ear during most of my free time. I'm currently working on hydrocity, pushing onward, and world to explore, for example.

Anyways, I notice similar musical ideas and expressions in video game music, (a LOT) and I'm interested in what some other people out there have heard.

I got this idea a few months ago from a video Mr. Lange has on his youtube channel, called running the stardust wheel. I just never got to making a thread.

Without further ado, here is some BGM i can think of that sounds similar off of the top of my head:

The beginning of the DBZ SSW title screen

and

Another pair is

and

Absolutely not, but it's been pointed out quite a few times!

Kind of funny, actually.

It's almost like you changed a few notes, sounds, and rythyms and slapped 'em together in a different order and called it a day.

Don't take that the wrong way, it's completely original, and Ghosts with Guitars is for sure one of my favorite ats songs. I'd say a solid 3rd place.

It's almost like you changed a few notes, sounds, and rythyms and slapped 'em together in a different order and called it a day.

It's almost like he made a completely different song or something! :P

Personally I don't really hear it much myself.

There is very little there that I'd say the songs are very similar. Especially that first comparison. I can -sort- of (its a bit of a stretch) hear where you are coming from in that second one but it's still different enough I would never draw the comparison even still.

There is very little there that I'd say the songs are very similar. Especially that first comparison. I can -sort- of (its a bit of a stretch) hear where you are coming from in that second one but it's still different enough I would never draw the comparison even still.

The first one isn't the notes, it's more so the rhythm.

The second one seems pretty accurate to me.

For the first example in this thread, I'm betting Yamamoto composed the score for Supersonic Warriors, since DBZ and plagarism are kinda his deal.

As for another musical similarity, I always thought the riff from Final Rush kinda sounds like the riff from Paperback Writer, just in a different key.

Final Rush

Paperback Writer

http://youtu.be/taADLPtyDb0?t=4s

For the first example in this thread, I'm betting Yamamoto composed the score for Supersonic Warriors, since DBZ and plagarism are kinda his deal.

As for another musical similarity, I always thought the riff from Final Rush kinda sounds like the riff from Paperback Writer, just in a different key.

Final Rush

Paperback Writer

http://youtu.be/taADLPtyDb0?t=4s

Very true!

I have actually noticed the same thing, I have just forgotten about it over time.

Sorry for double post but...

This one is a big one! It's a double!

I decided to play megaman six for fun, and i was hit with a huge nostalgia attack...

Listen to

then pause.

It sounds like a part from this weird Touhou video I saw a long time ago...

it starts at 1:39 but stop at 1:42

Go back to the megaman one, and stop playing it at 0:17.

It sound just like this part of green hill zone!

Now I can go play megaman 6 peacefully