A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sage 2013?

Betaman

Okay, I'm getting curious about this year's Sonic Amateur Games Expo. I contemplated doing a speculation thread earlier, but decided to hold back until I saw this.

In case you're too lazy to click the link: if you go to the website, you'll find a Chao Egg in place of the site layout that's been up since SAGE last year.

Which has caused me to get super excited! Last year SAGE was August 6th though the 12th, so I'm guessing we get a little more time to complete our games. (I'm super thankful for this.) This has caused a few questions to pop up for me.

Do you guys think the booth system from last year will return? I thought it was pretty interesting, and definitely convenient.

What's the theme going to be? It's a Chao egg, so it might be Sonic Adventure related, or it could just be Chao in general.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that too, I don't know if I can make something for SAGE since FTB is gone. But if it's on September i'm possibly gonna submit...heh. Anyway, I'm sure the booth system will return, and the theme might be Chao related, which is not bad because I love those little critters =3

Oh, dang, it's coming really soon isn't it?

I really want to do something this year for SAGE that doesn't involve Freedom Planet, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford the time. I guess it's a matter of thinking of a simple enough concept, and/or thinking of something that I can re-use assets for.

Glad to finally see a sage discussion thread! I sadly don't think I will be submitting this year. ( not that anyone cares...) If I do submit, it will probably just be a super short demo, one act. Don't expect anything from me, (again, I'm sure no one cares) I still have to program in 2 more characters, and everyones hyper form. (which will have free flying!)

As most of you probably know, I have to have the basis for everything in the very first level because you copy and paste the frame to make a new level, so that means everything that's able to be in every level must be programmed in. (du hek I jus say?)

Also, I'm considering switching to genesis sprites, because there aren't enough mod.gen sprites. Things are starting to get inconsistent, and don't fit together well. Practically every sonic character has a sonic 1 or 2 styled sprite, so it would fit together better and look less hodge podged...

I'm getting off track here, moving on.

If summer was forever, I would be have time to submit my work, but alas...

School...

I like school, actually, it's just very prohibiting when it comes to programming and making any sort of progress other than school work itself... (How to survive high school: 1. Stay in a corner. 2. Pokemon.)

I'm slightly disappointed that I (most likely) won't be participating in my first ever sage, but oh well, life happens.

Strife, nobody knows! Looking forward to another FP demo, if you end up doing one, though. Maybe add in Sonic as an "easter egg character", or would that disturb your legal ground?

Legal reasons. I don't want to add a copyrighted character to the game even as a SAGE-only thing, in the event that people who follow the game's progress become confused and think that I was actually planning on adding the character to the commercial version.

Aside from that, Sonic is used to death these days. I'd much rather leave a mark on a different character such as Tails or Blaze.

Heh, here I am again this year wishing I could get myself to finish something for once. Actually recently learned that I've got ADD (because I've got Tourette's, and 90% of people with it have attention issues), and it's probably the reason I abandon project after project. But I've been learning techniques for staying on task and junk.

Maybe next year...

Hell, that's demotivational. I SHALL GET TO WORK NAO!

@alex

I might use 3, but hyper wouldn't make a difference because hyper sonic changing colors is an effect. Coding is what changes his colors. It would be much more simple to code that in instead of it being sprited.

@strife

I'm also looking forward to another freedom planet demo, if you're (or your team, I'm not sure whos in charge and whatever) releasing one. Fantastic game, I can't wait for the official release on steam.

School...

I like school, actually, it's just very prohibiting when it comes to programming and making any sort of progress other than school work itself... (How to survive high school: 1. Stay in a corner. 2. Pokemon.)

I'm slightly disappointed that I (most likely) won't be participating in my first ever sage, but oh well, life happens.

I'm suppose you're an incoming freshman?

I'm suppose you're an incoming freshman?

Sadly, yes. But it doesn't feel like it. I'm going to be going here. I used to go here. I'm a singer, and ever since I got accepted into Harrison, I've participated in almost every rehearsal. The chorus teacher here is the wife of the chorus teacher here. Also, most of the people from here go on to here, so I know practically everyone.

The only problem is that the school is joined together with this dump. All my academics will be there, and that's all I have to worry about.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Sadly, yes. But it doesn't feel like it. I'm going to be going here. I used to go here. I'm a singer, and ever since I got accepted into Harrison, I've participated in almost every rehearsal. The chorus teacher here is the wife of the chorus teacher here. Also, most of the people from here go on to here, so I know practically everyone.

The only problem is that the school is joined together with this dump. All my academics will be there, and that's all I have to worry about.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Well all I can say is good luck handling that "dump" you were referring to for your academics. I suppose I could tell you were a freshman because of your excessive, long posts lol

Back on topic,

I won't be in this year's SAGE :/ but I hope to show some kind of exclusive demo of an indie game next year, just for this community.

That's too bad. :\ What do you have in mind for this indie project luks? It'd be great to get an idea of what you plan to do.

And for me I plan to be at SAGE this year. Delta and I will be presenting one act each of Shimmering Shores and Corrupted Canyon Zone. I hope you guys enjoy what's to come. =)

Well all I can say is good luck handling that "dump" you were referring to for your academics. I suppose I could tell you were a freshman because of your excessive, long posts lol

Haha, it's probably because I have ADD really bad, i tend to go on and off on things and it's most evident in my typing.

I won't be in this year's SAGE :/ but I hope to show some kind of exclusive demo of an indie game next year, just for this community.

Well shucks. I've always admired you, seeing all the things you've done in worlds. You were the very first sfghq'er i was aware of, so if anyone is annoyed with my presence, they can blame you, lol. I was looking forward to a sage entry from you.

Oh I'm referring to it as a mess because they forgot to fill up THREE of seven class hours that I'm supposed to be taking. (Don't drive, so I definitely can't just go home early.) I have to call my counselor, Mr. Bouma and sort it out before the day school starts.

In other news, I might start a thread for Maze -o- Matic and upload an early demo sometime soon.