A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New Game Maker Studio Sonic Engine

This download requires an up-to-date copy of Game Maker : Studio on the stable channel. (1.3.1347) You can also download the previous version here.

Download this if you just want to play with the results.

If there are features you would like to see added out of the box, feel free to recommend them although there is no guarantee I will actually add them. (It largely depends on how much utility it has)

SonicStudioScreen1.png SonicStudioScreen2.png

Edited by VectorSatyr
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone starting a project using Game Maker I highly recommend this engine. It's similar to Dash but a lot more accurate and includes features Dash doesn't. You will have to get a current version of GM Studio. It's really worth it though. I'm using this engine to make Time Twisted now. Actually AeroGP and I are working together on it.

Er, I'm not sure if you interpreted that right, though it would be my fault. What I mean is "I may use it", not "may I use it?"

Sorry about that.

And why not? Because I'm terrible at classic level design.

An easier way to clear that up would be to say "I might use it at some point."

Also, those screenshots look nice, though that's all I can say as I don't use GM.

I'm looking forward to messing with this engine, but...

Dangit alex! Sonic advance 4 has been my idea for years!

Yours better not have a boost... Or else I will not consider it an advance game.

Edit: Messed around with the engine, and it's pretty accurate.

2 things I noticed:

Tails running animation is a little to fast, and his full speed animation seems a little to slow. Same with his flying animation. Swimming is fine.

I can't tell if this uses sonic 1 styled physics, or if it was just lagging really bad.

Im assuming the later, because excelleration felt really slow, and that usually happens with game maker games with me for some reason.

I also can't get the source file to open right, so I'm relying on the exe.

Then no. Just. Just, No. No. No no no. No. No.

You went from working on that thing with amy and jass' game, then spawned the sonic advance 4 idea. I've had the idea for quite some time now, and now that I have enough experience, I can do it after this game. How long have you had the idea? Do you have a story? But seriously...

WHY THE BOOST?! It's what distinguishes the advance series from the rush series, basically a sprited sonic rush. You should call it Sonic rush 3 instead or something. But I'm not going to try stop you or anything, but come on, boost? Anyways, this thread isn't the place to discuss this.

I'm using the boost because it's what's in the engine I'm using (cutsom made, but not by me. Not gonna tell you who in case he doesn't want me to, though).

Also, I have a story planned and, to be fair, I've only had this in my head for a few weeks now (though it wasn't called Sonic Advance 4 at the time), but my first 3 level tropes/ideas.

Also, I'm still working on Overtu---I mean FTB, but I thought I'd start work on this so no one beats me to it. So there. It's done. It's announced. I'm working on Sonic Advance 4. Also, the Amy game is dropped, though Jass and I may do it one day, if we feel like it. If you want, you can have that instead?

Oh jesus christ. You cannot pretend to own the idea for "Sonic Advance 4", it's so ridiculous I actually thought you were all joking at first. Do you know how many fangames there are called "Sonic 4" or "Sonic 5"? It's because it's a logical step in the progression and I promise you that if you go back far enough in the fangame board or screenshots thread then there will be more Sonic Advance 4's. Sega owns the "Sonic Advance" franchise not any of you, so don't pretend you wield any power of the use of it. Unfortunately because so many assets used in fangames come from real Sonic games it's very hard to "own" any ideas unless you name it completely differently, use original music and original sprites. Just calling it "Sonic Advance 4" is so close to what Sega do that you really can't pretend to have an sway over who uses it and who doesn't.

If you really care so much about the integrity of the name of your fangame then consider adding something on the end to differentiate it like, "Sonic Advance 4: The Return Of Robotnik" or something. Or better yet just give it a totally original name. But if you're stuck at Sonic Advance 4 then you're just gonna have to accept that it's such a logical and easy progression that plenty of other people will "think" of it too. Is this really the place for petty squabbles over names? I'm not a mod and I really can't force you to do anything but for the sake of the thread even if you don't agree with what I've said could you try to keep the discussion like you said, on Skype? Think about how you'd feel if you posted a cool game/engine and people spent half the thread arguing about whether butter tastes better than "I can't believe it's not butter".

--

Getting back on topic (and hopefully staying that way), this is really a fantastic engine AeroGP! I'm helping with Time Twisted alongside Overbound, purely in the sprite department right now but will soon be hoping to assist him in some coding and level design (nothing major). I must say Overbound couldn't have picked a better engine. This one is smooth and reliable and I think my favourite part is how it has all the bells and whistles you need for a classic Sonic fangame and no more. It's very concise and without clutter, other engines with 100's of pointless features can seem daunting at first but the elegance of your engine really lends itself to usability. I've tinkered around with it and not made anything of any use but after some getting used to it seemed a lot easier to use than other engines I have seen.

I forgot to mention, Aero, I can't get the engine to open properly in GMS.

It opens all the files but none are accessible and I can't run the game in GM.

Do you know what the problem is?

What kind of edition GMS you use?

As I know, Free Edition can have only a certain amount of resources (sprites, room and etc.),

and this engine don't fit for Free GMS.

UPD: Also, SuperBliz, it's you who made Sonic Advance 4 (http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/104610-sonic-advance-4-demo-30)?

Oh, I know this game and it really nice!

Getting back on topic (and hopefully staying that way), this is really a fantastic engine AeroGP! I'm helping with Time Twisted alongside Overbound, purely in the sprite department right now but will soon be hoping to assist him in some coding and level design (nothing major). I must say Overbound couldn't have picked a better engine. This one is smooth and reliable and I think my favourite part is how it has all the bells and whistles you need for a classic Sonic fangame and no more. It's very concise and without clutter, other engines with 100's of pointless features can seem daunting at first but the elegance of your engine really lends itself to usability. I've tinkered around with it and not made anything of any use but after some getting used to it seemed a lot easier to use than other engines I have seen.

That's what I was hoping for. Glad to hear it.

Is there anything you think could still be added to flesh it out more for new users?

I really liked the engine Aero, but right now I don't think I have the money to purchase GM Studio at the moment, and plus I'm really far into using the DASH engine. Hopefully if I ever start a new project, I'll most likely upgrade to GM Studio and experiment with this engine.

Apparently I can't access the source file with the free version, so Aero, is this engine any similar to DASH or would you say it's easier to use?