A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What if Sonic was a turtle?

• 8 months later...

I'm surprised noone has replied to this earlier. If Sonic were a turtle, I'm sure you'd be seeing more of the whole acceleration physics widely used. Sonic would get most of his speed from rolling down hill like in the original 8-bit game. You'd probably be able to do stuff like pull yourself into your shell on command instead of rolling, so something like the new super Mario Bros. sliding mechanic. You could slip into your shell while running down hill, and that would let you pick up speed, stay invulnerable to common enemies and cause damage to your foes. http://www.mariowiki.com/Shell_Dash

To keep the game centered around speed, there'd have to be either enemies that you could turn into ramps, or just a lot of hilly levels, and then you could have another form of attack, such as tucking into your shell in the air to bash your enemies.

As far as stages the multiple pathways could all have different features instead of shorter ones being harder, say there's a path you could take where you could pick up speed the whole time and get to the goal under a certain time, then a path where there's tons of enemies, and you could rack up points or currency for mid-level stuff, or life bonuses or something, and a standard path of course. There could be a ranking system like the newer Sonic games, but just based on your time, getting all S ranks could unlock something, so the speed path could be more rewarding.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've been thinking about a shelled-animal-thing-starring platformer idea a little recently, actually. I have no plans to actually make it happen, but I suppose some of the ideas could come into use here.

I've been thinking of two potential ideas: one involving a detachable shell, and one not. The former has it so that you have a choice between two play styles - one that gives you all-around okay speed, and one that requires more skill for speed gain, but rewards the player with immense speed. It gives you an option to select how you want to play the game, which is what Sonic pretty much did with the level design, in my opinion. Of course, if they went with the detachable shell thing, there would have been lots of comparisons to Koopa Troopas, but hey, I'd think the idea has potential.

The levels would, in both iterations, be rather slopey and curved... Though, if Sega made it, I wouldn't be as sure. Sonic 1 didn't exactly have a lot of slopes compared to the later games, did it? I'd imagine they'd also give Sonic the ability to swim, which might be an interesting mechanic. Maybe it could work like an accelerating NiGHTs/Ristar, and you can use water currents to your advantage to speed up?

So... the funny thing about turtles is...

They aren't all that damn slow.

And the funny thing about hedgehogs...

[couldn't find a video demonstrating this well]

Well, suffice to say that as far as rodents go they tend to be on the slow side.

Anyway, if Sonic were a turtle, the games would probably be a lot more aquatic than they already are. If Sonic were a tortoise on the other hand, then well... they'd probably just play it up for the institutional backwardness of it all like with that snail movie Turbo.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i think that if sonic was a turtle he might look more like a teenage mutant ninja turtle or a koppa from mario.

he would probably also do a move when mario wears the blue shell which is to become a koppa in a shell and bounce off walls. though this could make sonic games easy if that was true.