A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New Sonic Cartoon "Sonic Boom"

Jassbec

I enjoyed Color's writing.

Americans

I think the consensus should be that the older Japanese stories are more epic, but the American stories have better dialog. I guess that make some sense since the stories aren't translated into English but instead begin in English. 

Specifically for Sonic, the adventure series had decent enough storylines and...passable yet cheesy dialogue. Shadow was dumb, 06 was atrocious. Everything else too whimsical to put weight to. 

But translating a story from one language to another shouldn't make the writing bad...some localization may be needed, but bad writing and awkward dialogue is only what it is. And admittedly, Sega's localization teams are actually consistently good when it comes to translating. 

Not to say western writers dont have their share of pitfalls. I guess the cultural difference just makes them slightly less aggravating to suffer during cutscenes. 

• 2 months later...

Okay first of all i will try no to flipout and start a ragegasm about this because i want to.....express myself about...this the best way i can....if i can

I know you guys are all goody with this and....the game, but i have experience with 3D CGI shows like, TMNT, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar, and some other ones i dont even remember now i think because they are so fucking bad that i blocked out from my mind.

Im not a really good fan of "Lets make a 3D series where all the characters are all differents and has something unique that we can show in each chapter killing people from boredom because we repeat this to the death in each chapter" i dunno i watched TMNT the new one and dear god they make the same shit of fail comedy sketch that tries to replicate a mid 90's show that is already DEAD.

What i mean is, sure is funny because this time tried the comedy way that AofSTH tried BACK AT THE 90'S, but the problem is this is 2014 not 1995, for me i dont like a 3D CGI show is plain lazy and is nothing to be exited about it not even if it is a cartoony 2D series (because pokemon is just a dead weight right now, something that died looooooong time ago)

For the game, i dont see anything special about it the only thing i see is that looks like a Crash Bandicoot game more than a Sonic one, i dunno it misses something i dunno, is kinda slow in the console version and in the handheld is like Sonic Generations is in 3DS, now i think if they did games more like they did with Generations and Unleashed (with the day stages and that simple an solid backstory) that could be a sonic game that i could buy, but sorry guys im not so good with this...thing called "Sonic Boom", even when i hear that name it kinda reminds me to this:

21mhpv7.png

Seriously, even the name seems kinda doofy, and shadow and other characters? i think...you know what i dont care for other characters, because i think is not worth to do a sonic tv show/movie anymore is kinda pointless, the only games i want for the silver screen and for TV are Metroid, Casltevania, Onimusha, Half Life, Mirror's Edge, Bioshock and System Shock.

Edited by Gear_The_Hedgehog

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Its okay, but still like more SatAM than this, heck even Sonic Underground or Sonic X, its an OK show but being honest is kinda half-assed, almost of the jokes are kinda bland, eggman seems too "funny" and less Evil Mastermind i mean its cool to be funny but that security cam joke was pretty lame, sonic its too light-hearted and is way overprotective of tails, tails seems to be ok i dont see any kind of problem with him, amy its...aghh!!! she seems to be a little too annoying, i mean she was kinda annoying but doing that pizzeria-italian singing joke was waaaay too stupid, and on top of that she does it twice, i dunno why they wanted to do the same lame joke twice but they did, knuckles seems to be kinda...stupid or more muscle-head than being i dunno the freaking chaos emerald guardian? or even just a treasure hunter? he just goes saying stupid lines that are intentionaly made to make him look kinda brute/stupid-ish in my opinion of course, and i wont even gonna to make an opinion on the secondary characters, they are waaaay too plain and boring, sheesh even in SatAM or in Sonic Underground or even Sonic X was some secondary characters that they had at least some kind of "personality" or even some funny lines/moments, that....otter was just a droopy copy-cat even talks like him for god's sake!

An 11 mins? what it is now a Adventure Time show kinda like? i remember that even Sonic X had like 20 mins tops.

But its at least is kinda "funny" and "stylish" but its an OK show kinda like something to watch to kill time i think but i dont think its something like SatAM or Sonic Underground, in fact its better than Sonic Underground but god lord its way worse than AoSTH its like watching Penguins of Madagascar but less funnier and with sonic all over of it, yes its better in somethings to Sonic X yes but i dont think its a mind-blowing show either, but hey its my opinion after all i rather better go and re-watch SatAM and SU or maybe Sonic X than this, i dunno its only the first 2 episodes yet, but as i learned with the years of watching cartoons if the first 2 episodes arent good for me, then the rest of the series dont worth even 2 cents.

But as i said its my opinion, if you guys like to watch it go ahead and do it, but for me its kinda meh.

Edited by Gear_The_Hedgehog

Dr Robotnik is brilliant so far but I cannot for the life of me understand why Sticks is in this show, I think I would have enjoyed episode 4 if it was someone else instead of her. Also really hate how dumb Knuckles has gotten, sadden by that.

So far the series has been decent but not good yet, I feel though it can only get better as the show starts to find it's feet. Was very unimpressed with episode 1 whilst episode 2 was good, episode 3 started brightly and then faded (The fact Robotnik had a computer to calculate the pecking order made me laugh more than it should have haha.) and I probably would have liked episode 4 if I liked Sticks.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh... I'm surprised no-one did a thorough review of it here?

So, in short, this show is either good or meh, but definitely not bad at all.

As we can see, the Sonic franchise is branching out into different directions, which is an excellent move by Sega, looks like they've been listening to their fans (or, rather, how broken we sometimes are...) The main game series is going in a generally light-hearted direction as usual.

The officials say the movie in 2015 will be expanding on the "gritty, edgy Sonic" direction (as with Sonic Adventure 2/ShTH, SatAM and both US and UK comic series), with a PG-13 rating, but I really wish there'll be real, serious maturity, and not the half-assed type like they did with Shadow the Hedgehog (I don't think simply adding guns (though guns are cool) and light swearing makes a game mature, unlike a certain game which has the usually-comical villain threaten to actually kill Sonic and friends and unleash "weapons of mass destruction" while his grandfather had a mental breakdown 50 years in the past, plus a pair of jiggling boobs, all in an E game... Hm... I wonder what that could be...). I wonder if they got inspiration from that fan-movie, it was meant to be a proof-of-concept for live-action Sonic so maybe this was their goal all along... and I hope Shadow gets a gun! That's what I'VE always loved about him anyways...

(-------SKIP TO HERE FOR REVIEW-------)

Then there's another light-hearted take on Sonic the Hedgehog, but this one is a whole different direction. It isn’t simple, childlike fun, but funny, witty snark. That is Sonic Boom.

The sort of humor Sonic Boom isn’t childish, “dumb humor” that relies on slapstick, toilet humor and silliness (unlike AoSTH), but neither is it high, “sophisticated” humor relying on deep satire and subtlety, though it may have elements of either or both. Rather, it has the sense of humor perfect for the Sonic Universe, something Sonic himself would enjoy: Its humor relies on snappy witticisms, a briefcase full of snark, and a bit of douchebaggery. Sometimes it also takes a dump on established tropes, my favorite being how Sticks realized her flashback never actually happened (from episode 4), which fits well.

Hey, speaking of douchebaggery, did you know Sonic’s douche level has been increased up to the nth level? Yeah, there’s been changes to the characters outside of aesthetics, and some are hit more than others…

Sonic: He’s evolved his “attitude” into outright douchiness, but still a nice guy inside and really does care about his friends, just like regular Sonic. He’s the kind of guy who would insult you, save your skin, then insult you afterwards. His continual expression seems to be annoyance at everyone, and Roger does a good job expressing that.

Tails: Still sort of a cute idealist, but now he’s the other snarky character. He’s more badass now, but other than that he’s pretty much the same character as you know: Smart, inventive, idealistic, but now snarky too.

Knuckles: He’s literally dumbed down, maybe a little too dumb… (well, somehow he can’t read but can play piano, so uh…) He also doesn’t seem to appear enough in the show, sometimes only appearing as a cameo with no dialogue at all. Hopefully an episode dedicated to him can rectify that. However, any comedy this sort of caliber should get a dumb guy, and though he don’t chuckle, he might make you.

Amy: What… happened to her? If you watched the first episode, you’ll go “oh lord no it’s Amy…”, but a second later you go “what the hell, why isn’t she discussing her marriage plans while Sonic makes his escape?”. Then you find out she’s completely revamped into… the idealistic team psychologist? In fact, despite her overly-idealistic personality (especially shown in episode 2), she sometimes becomes the “straight man” in some episodes. And of course, we all know how she’s now capable of fighting on her own.  These changes are shocking, but it actually makes her a more likable and mature character, which is awesome. Oh, and I’ll talk about her relationship with Sonic below.

Sticks: She’s shoved right into show without any pretext whatsoever, but luckily it was rectified by the two episodes she got for herself later on. This new character might be a little too exaggerated on her “hyper crazy wackjob” personality, and her quips are a little expectable, but it does work a charm. Some of the funniest scenes in Sonic Boom come from Sticks, so she’s worked out well.

Eggman: Ah, what could we do without you Eggman… Eggman is an excellent comical villain here, with some ridiculous plans that somehow seem to work, and an over-the-top hamminess that Mike works well into. You know what’s weird though, Sonic’s gang and Eggman are always trying to destroy each other, but somehow they can hang around or even stay in each other’s homes while still being all cool about it? Perhaps that’s why it’s so funny…  Either way, he’s probably one of the most likable

Oh yeah, and now about that Amy and Sonic thing I promised… Her personality has changed so much she actually deserves Sonic now… but even she doesn’t want to say that out loud. But what’s so great is how everything is so subtle and implied… Sonic and Amy are going out eating. Are they just having lunch or is it a date? Sonic saves Amy… Is he just saving his friend or is it something a little more? The ambiguity is exciting innit? If you’re a Sonamy fan (if they’re even alive here), the excitement from the ambiguity will keep you on your toes… and hooked. If you’re a Sonamy fan.

The action is good and complements the comedy nicely (it also shows each of the heroes' skills). The animation is great, but don't complain about the lip-syncing, it's French so what would you expect? The color scheme and 3D remind me of Endless Legend for some reason, which is one of the most beautiful games, so you can see what direction I'm heading with Sonic Boom here.

The thing I really like about Sonic Boom is just how characterized everyone is and how they’re going about their daily lives. I always love it when I see Sonic characters doing daily actions like eating, sleeping, arguing, going to restaurants, watching TV, and all that good stuff. You rarely ever see that stuff on 3D Sonic, or even sometimes in the old animated series and comics. It really makes the characters *people* you can connect with, instead of in the main game series where they’re just plot elements.

However, the way the show is promoted just makes for some bad first impressions. The preview episode is nondescript to the rest of the “meat” of the series. It’s really a bad showcase of the series because we all thought this’ll be a lame kids show, but it’s not. And what I don’t really get is how the show itself is good but the intro almost doesn’t exist to me from the sheer lack of quality. That’s just marketing suicide if you ask me, Sonic has always been famous for its catchy intros, so having a forgettable intro is a questionable move because it won’t affect us, the viewers, but it’s not very good for new fans.

And you know something? I’m one of those “gritty” fans but I love this new show. Heck, my avatar is either my fan character alter-ego wielding a gun or fricken’ Sonic the Che-dgehog, but I ain’t complaining about how light-hearted the new reboot is, because it’s light-hearted the right way.

In conclusion, this show ain’t bad. In fact, it might even be good. It deserves a Cartoon Network standard, which I think lives up to its old glory with shows like these. Okay, it might not be outstanding compared to other cartoons, but it certainly is for a Sonic show, and even more so a comedic one. The humor isn’t dumb, the characters are personable, and it’s all-around a great addition to the Sonic franchise, let alone the only saving grace of Sonic Boom as a sub-franchise

Edited by StreaktheCommandante

Looks like I watched it. Wow... that... I really hope the next season will only go upwards in quality. It's really fitting as the finale... (before season break?)

The overall humor was great, but the best moments were really what made the episode great. My favorite one of the whole season is definitely the Knuckles cake scene, because it was so incredibly awkward I just cracked up while cringing. (Also that is one scene that will never, ever leave my head) The rest of the funny moments were great but I'd rather not spoil them so I don't ruin your humor.

Anyways, from this episode, it's clear to see what sort of humor the show will be laid out: a basic premise filled with lots of funny moments. The humor is witty and snarky, and reminiscent of humorous Sonic flash animation, like Sonic Uncut and Sonic Shorts.

I'm personally really excited for 2015, with the next wave (season?) of Sonic Boom, and the upcoming Sonic Movie, and as I said, I really hope the show only gets better through time.

Oh, and double post trololololololol but seriously tho, it would be awkward on an existing post

Edited by StreaktheCommandante

Ive not watched it yet. Ive played the 3ds game demo, and I will get the full game this Christmas (hopefully). Ive also seen reviews of the wii u version. Something tells me this wont last like the other sonic has for the past 23 years. That's my opinion though.