A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New Sonic Cartoon "Sonic Boom"

Jassbec

---------------http://www.tssznews.com/2013/06/15/sega-launching-new-sonic-boom-cartoon/----------------

I've been waiting for a Sonic cartoon ever since Sonic X, I'm excited!

What do you think guys?

This certainly came out of nowhere – a source has tipped us off that Dave Polsky, writer for such TV shows and movies like South Park, Frank TV, Scary Movie, and My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, was dropping hints at the Ohio-based My-Little-Pony-themed convention Trotcon that he was currently writing episodes for a new Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon under the name of “Sonic Boom“. For what it’s worth, Sonic Boom is even listed in his Featured Guests profile on the Trotcon website:

Dave Polsky

His credits range from features (Scary Movie, Scary Movie 2) to animation (South Park, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Sonic Boom, Class of 3000) to sitcoms (Pair of Kings) to late night (The Keenen Ivory Wayans Show) to daytime (The Donny and Marie Show) to sketch comedy (Frank TV, Cedric the Entertainer Presents). Add that to the fact that he got his start in game shows (Singled Out) and you have a textbook case of a) versatility or B) terrible career management… take your pick. Dave created and executive produced Disney’s The Buzz on Maggie, in addition to writing other pilots for Disney Channel, FOX, CBS, Castle Rock Entertainment, and Nickelodeon.
Edited by Jassbec

hmm... I have mixed feelings about this. And it is hard to know what to say until we hear/see more of it.

So one of the guys who is writing for this did MLP & ScaryMoive2 ETC? ...I haven't watched MLP mostly just because some of it's fan base creeps me out. But I'm guessing the show is likely fine. I'll probably give it a better chance someday later. Anyways knowing that doesn't tell me if it'll make this show good or not by itself.

As much as I love and prefer hand drawn animation... I think it may be a better move to make it CGI this time, Which would mean there would be less chance for a awkward art style happening or whatever. But if they do make it CGI... I hope it's the good stuff... And not the cheap bad stuff. :S

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that the focus is mainly only going to be on Sonic. Tails. Knuckles and Amy... I know it's a bit to soon to judge. But like I always say. "I personally hate that character lineup" ...I don't hate any of the characters themselves. I just hate it when they make that set as the main cast all the time. I know I may be odd since I know that a lot of people do like that lineup. But what can I say? I just don't like it much personally. I hope Blaze & MetalSonic still make their way in somehow. Hey! A guy can dream can't he? :P

I am happy to hear it'll be a comedy though. :)

I really hope it's nothing like SonicX... Oh boy how I hate that show... :I

But there's not much else I can say about it atm until more info comes out. I do hope it'll be a great show regardless of whatever. I been wanting me a good new Sonic series for ages now~

Pony related stuff aside, I think that more news needs to be released on this before any proper judgements can be made.

This is the Sonic fanbase we're talking about, we judge things even though we have little to no information. :asmile:

• 3 weeks later...

Ahem.

SONIC RAINBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

... Now that that's out of the way, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I actually really did like Sonic X because it at least tried to incorporate the games, and tried to tie the games set on "Mobius" and Earth together.

It may have had its corny moments, but there were some to love as well.

The writer being on MLP doesn't mean anything. Writers can write for all types of shows. This guy apparently worked on South Park and Pokemon too, so I don't see it as a big deal that he worked on MLP.

So far there have not been any mentions of human children tagging along and the writing for the games has gotten better in recent years. I'm holding out hope. Hopefully by now Sega knows that there is an older Sonic fan based and perhaps they will take that into account when creating a show.

The writer being on MLP doesn't mean anything. Writers can write for all types of shows. This guy apparently worked on South Park and Pokemon too, so I don't see it as a big deal that he worked on MLP.

It's not a big deal. What is a problem is that the big header image at the top is MLP even though the guy wrote for several other things but PONIES

I'M JUST SO GODDAMNED SICK OF PONIES

Pony related stuff aside, I think that more news needs to be released on this before any proper judgements can be made.

No, this is SFGHQ. We judge everything based on articles and YouTube videos.

Although MLP and Scary Movie 2 aren't exactly Shakespeare....or any good for that matter.

It's not a big deal. What is a problem is that the big header image at the top is MLP even though the guy wrote for several other things but PONIES

I'M JUST SO GODDAMNED SICK OF PONIES

We are all tired of them. If many people like MLP because of the writing/story, i'm sure this guy can do something really good with Sonic.

MLP is basically the western version of modern anime with a twist, It looks like it has a clear target audience for little girls, except it's actually intended for little girls, so naturally the fans of it have to make it awkward for everyone and its even easier

sega has done so bad with story and characters for sonic that for the last 4 games in a row they've deleted everyone but him just so people wont bitch, and now theyve even removed robotnick on some ben10 type shit

its impossible for me to care about this, sonic isn't even worthy of a tv show anymore, it isn't the 90s anymore and sonic X was absolute horseshit

MLP is basically the western version of modern anime with a twist, It looks like it has a clear target audience for little girls, except it's actually intended for little girls, so naturally the fans of it have to make it awkward for everyone and its even easier

sega has done so bad with story and characters for sonic that for the last 4 games in a row they've deleted everyone but him just so people wont bitch, and now theyve even removed robotnick on some ben10 type shit

its impossible for me to care about this, sonic isn't even worthy of a tv show anymore, it isn't the 90s anymore and sonic X was absolute horseshit

Serephim, why are you always so negative?

A show is always welcome, Sonic has been doing pretty good lately, and i think it's the perfect time to make a show.

Sonic's appearances in his titular early/mid 90's cartoons are more memorable, IMO. I used to watch the reruns of AoSTH when Disney XD was just Toon Disney back in the day. Also, there's just no topping

or Jim Cummings for the role Dr. Robotnik.

For the record, the stuff this guy has actually done for MLP has gotten a rather mixed reception, his writing is considered rather middle of the road as far as the writers for that show have been, nothing terrible, but nothing amazing, either.

Long story short, using his work on MLP as a positive example isn't exactly great when he's considered to be a somewhat debatable writer by that show's standards, and the fanbase doesn't have low standards by any stretch.

So, yeah, it's best to wait and see if this'll actually be good or another trainwreck like Sonic X.

Edit: And just to note, I do understand that the fanbase for MLP itself isn't exactly the greatest (no fanbase is, really) and some fans can be just plain obnoxious about it, but the show itself really hasn't committed any 'crime' other than being probably the only western girls cartoon that can be enjoyed by people outside of its primary demographic, by virtue of being genuinely entertaining for the right reasons, an art the Japanese have already long mastered. It's hardly the most amazing thing ever, but considering a show of its kind is such a rarity these days, it's not really surprising that it's built up the fanbase it has built, and I've seen some pretty amazing stuff come out of the fanbase, so, yeah.

I would just like to point out that Sonic consists of a fanbase that includes people dressing up and fucking as animals, more bad fan characters and Mary Sues than any other fandom, communities constantly at war with eachother, and fans of a bat with jiggling tits.

I would just like to point out that Sonic consists of a fanbase that includes people dressing up and fucking as animals, more bad fan characters and Mary Sues than any other fandom, communities constantly at war with eachother, and fans of a bat with jiggling tits.

Don't worry it's finally getting overshadowed and overrun by bronies and MLP.

really no difference in the sonic fanatics and bronies. Both of the fanatic communities are equally insane, MLP's just stands out more because the content is more outrageous.

And "outrageous" basically means in this context, "GROWN MEN LIKING A SHOW FOR GIRLS?! ABOUT MAGICAL TALKING PONIES?! THIS CANNOT BE!" Amazing what good writing and well-developed characters does for a show, really.

And it doesn't seem to be the latest show to completely subvert normal expectations for a western cartoon of its type - anyone seen SheZow? Moviebob did an episode of The Big Picture about it, it's basically about a male pre-teen who inherits the secret identity and superpowers of his aunt, in the form of SheZow... Who is traditionally a female superhero, complete with an extremely feminine costume and gear. The whole thing is practically a piss-take of female superheroes in general and how many of their standard traits are really kinda lame, among other things, but somehow it caused an uproar among anti-LGBT groups even though it actually doesn't address any issues of transsexualism or homosexuality whatsoever.

Oh, and it ALSO just happens to be on the Hub (though it's actually an Australian import, now I can feel proud of my own countrymen for taking on such a ballsy concept).

And "outrageous" basically means in this context, "GROWN MEN LIKING A SHOW FOR GIRLS?! ABOUT MAGICAL TALKING PONIES?! THIS CANNOT BE!" Amazing what good writing and well-developed characters does for a show, really.

Dude...they're ponies, what is there to develop? What kind of story can you make out of magical ponies? At least with sonic they're anthropomorphic and put in a context that allows for such things.

I mean The Lion King is one of my favorite movies of all time and the story is based on character development. But it was about lions and prides and the circle of life, not magical ponies with names like rainbow glitter and twilight candy surprise

how do you even come across watching this? How does it draw your attention? Which one of your friends recommends this to you

Dude...they're ponies, what is there to develop? What kind of story can you make out of magical ponies? At least with sonic they're anthropomorphic and put in a context that allows for such things.

I mean The Lion King is one of my favorite movies of all time and the story is based on character development. But it was about lions and prides and the circle of life, not magical ponies with names like rainbow glitter and twilight candy surprise

how do you even come across watching this? How does it draw youand by the r attention? Which one of your friends recommends this to you

Let me introduce you to discord, the main enemy of the first two episodes of season 2. His goal? To bring the world into absolute, complete, chaos.. And he succeds, not only that, but he manages to corrupt and the main 6 protagonist to their complete oposites. At least in the first of the two episodes, it looks like the world is doomed.

The plots get surprisingly deep for a cartoon for little girls, and each character is surprisingly well-developed, and relatable.

By the way, keep in mind this is the NEW my little pony show, not the old one with ridiculously bad stories and characters.