A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Cartoons/anime and why we love/hate them

Anywho, going back to the topic, AoStH is really the only Sonic cartoon I've watched to be truthful. I suppose some people would yell at me for passing judgement on shows before I watch 'em, but SatAM...I dunno', I'm not sure if I'd find it palatable myself, Underground even less so. Sonic X just looks REALLY boring. OVA...actually enjoy it for what it's worth, it's just a shame more weren't made.

I love the OVA, nasally voices and all. That Eggman voice actor is great too - but Eggman as a character generally seems to get pretty okay voices. Anyway love that movie to bits - if there was ever a game based on that universe I'd be totally okay with that. The Old Man Owl is like the baddest badass to have ever lived and having a cartoon that faithfully adapts the japanese Sonic designs for animation is fine by me. Knuckles was also super cool too. I love that movie and out of all the cartoons released this is the only one I can say I ever go back to. Makes me yearn for the time when the series was more like that to be honest, as much of a classic fanboy that makes me sound.

I think Sonic could have worked better as a cartoon if they interspersed with live-action scenes starring pro wrestlers dressed up like Dr. Robotnik.

Or better yet, have Robotnik dress up like a pro-wrestler.

Oh wait.

Why couldn't the Sonic X anime have been as awesome as the comic was? Hell, that was more Robotnik X than anything.

I love Sonic X. It has its issues, and Chris is annoying. But I love how it at least attempted (in the first two seasons) to tie the games together and allow a little room for the Archie stuff to kinda fit in in a way.

And a lot of their bits about how it would be for Sonic to show up in the human world were great. I loved that scene with Chris carrying Tails and Amy around on the train like dolls.

And Cream and Ella getting to know each other for the first time was adorable. Also loved that bit with Tails and Chris in the store all casual, and everyone's like, "Holy crap, furries!"

SatAM was amazing in a lot of ways, but I couldn't get used to Sonic's personality watching it again. Rose-colored goggles are definitely off now. The comics were decent, but suffered from standard comic problems of trying to keep a slowly-made-fast-read book interesting enough to read.

Satam suffers from a big rose colored glasses problem. There's a lot of problems with the show that are a lot more apparent nowadays where as Adventures was actually more Sonic-like and silly and had Scratch & Grounder. Sonic Underground is utter garbage that doesn't even really deserve to be mentioned.

Robotnik is the only constant in all of them. Robotnik is always ridiculous and entertaining no matter what (well... except Sonic 06 but Sonic 06 was clearly a practical joke and I'll hear no other explanation)

SatAM felt more like a typical anthropomorphic show, just with Sonic the Hedgehog as the main character. It feels nothing like the original games, but in the end I dont figure it was trying to. It was basically like someone said "make a show with Sonic the Hedgehog in it", but not "about" sonic. It did its own thing, which is probably why people were able to accept it. Adventures felt more like "sonic" because it took the general description and literally made it into a show. It was funny and stupid because, as a concept, a blue rolling hedgehog who eats chilidogs, casually breaks the sound barrier and fights an egg-shaped supergenius is pretty retarded.

Sonic X (like Sonic 06) ignores all of this, and desperately tries to find a middleground between "believable" and "blue hedgehog". Or maybe it doesn't, i dont know. Its animation AND its writing was absolutely terrible, and the lines at its best somehow manage to be even worse than the lowest of SatAM's cheese. It didn't strive for anything more than moving frames of fanservice on a TV screen. So basically, it was an anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e17Zqjb6pdI

This video pretty much sums it up for me. No group of voice actors on earth could have saved this kind of writing. This literally looks like someone animated one of my middleschool comic books.

I liked AoStH best because it was just goofy, never got too serious and was pretty fun to watch. Also, Long John Baldry.

I watched SatAM whenever it was on TV but it always seemed too serious and I couldn't get into it. Sonic is meant to be bright and colourful, not set after the Skynet disaster.

I really need to watch satAM in english, the last time i saw an episode was in Mexico (Spanish) quite a while ago.

In fact, i might do it right now.

EDIT: Jaleel White sounds really good as Sonic now that i take a closer look.

I used to host a website that had all these videos in the (at the time) highest quality available. No clue what i did with the files, but I think they're long gone :(

Maybe AJ has the RealVideo files sitting around somewhere from SSN ;P

I used to host a website that had all these videos in the (at the time) highest quality available. No clue what i did with the files, but I think they're long gone :(

Maybe AJ has the RealVideo files sitting around somewhere from SSN ;P

haha originally the thread title was calling you out by me to see if you had the files anymore...no worries though I was able to track down a copy of the movie though. Thanks DW :P

haha originally the thread title was calling you out by me to see if you had the files anymore...no worries though I was able to track down a copy of the movie though. Thanks DW :P

Really? That's funny. Next time just PM or Tweet me - I think I get emails instantly and I rarely check here.