A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Before the Sequel Aftermath

LakeFeperd

6Mbgf.png

Edit: it's out: https://sites.google.com/site/sonicbts/aftermath

So, while ATS's soundtrack is still in production, i decided to gather some experience in working with a slightly different gameplay style for a classic sonic game.

And yes, technically this game is also finished, but i dont want to release it before ATS, so, yeah.

Oh, and the game is pretty short, might take just half an hour to finish.

Also, i dont think this is really a metroidvania style sonic game, since there is no castlevania elements. i guess.

Well, it certainly looks an interesting endeavour, and since it sits in the Feperdverse I don't see much bother in the alterations in the gameplay style, though honestly it doesn't look much different, just a couple of RPG/Mission-based additions to the Sonic. I look forward to seeing Sonic:BTSA's release.

• 2 months later...

Le review:

The game often felt bland due to lack of gimmicks and some background details being shared by most levels (which of course are all near each other). The game feels rather senere, too, as sometimes nothing of interest happens for a while while soothing music plays. I felt like sleeping, but curiosity thankfully drove me further.

The most fun part was near the end, when Sonic gets new shoes for double jumping platforming. The sword was good for beating the big enemies, though its level two beam didn't see much use from me. I thought there were wasted opportunities for bosses that required use of the sword and double jump. It's rather silly how Sonic meets the main bad guy and goes through a bunch of levels looking for it only for the badnik to be a basic boss. I wasn't surprised by the lack of an ending, lol.

Peharps I've not found everything in the game, but since it started over from the beggining with zero items, I won't be playing again right now.

An hour well spent. It is a fun experiment, though sometimes boring and suspenseful for nothing. I was sometimes so sure a boss would come out, but nothing was there...

Why are there shortcuts for all the abilities in Sunset Star? I accidentally pressed the T key and got the jet ability. I figured this was just you throwing in shortcuts for fun until I tried it in another area and it never worked, so I'm not sure if this was just something you included for playtesting and forgot to remove or something.

I thought it was pretty fun. Felt like it was pretty anti-climatic when I killed the boss in all of 10 seconds though. I felt like it was kinda slow though, I'll send you a video of my playthrough if it'll help you out since I think the best kind of information is watching the player play your game.

Even though short lake, I loved it.

Both powerups executed so brilliantly imo. Giving them their pros and cons. I was surprised to find that the speed charging powerup actually slowed you down.

You're good music taste still doesn't seize to surprise me heh. Holoska night has always been my favourite music in sonic unleashed.

My interpretation of this experiment is: Everything can work in a sonic game when executed the right way. Excellent lake, excellent. I think i'd actually love a sonic spin off like this. I salute you good sir.