A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My last (I hope...) problem with grinding.

Well, I can explain a theory to you:

When knux glides, his gravity decreases a little (or half), and stop gliding when falls on the ground. To climb, you must use wall detection (like sensors and x detection, on the character) to detect the right and the left nearest walls. When climbing, the gravity becomes null (allowing you to use up/down to move using vertical speed, or direction) until landing or reaching the top of the edge. It's more detailed on this topic of the old SFGHQ forum:

http://sonicfangaming.proboards67.com/index.cgi?board=fangamehelp&action=display&thread=1128437037

Wait a minute... how is Sonic grinding if the sensor is not even touching the rail?

That doesn't make sense, unless you have another invisible sensor doing the job.

Oh and don't use Sonic as the main position object. Use an invisible circular object as the mask (that means the main movement object, the one that will move instead of Sonic) and set the sprite's position always to the same position of the mask.

On the main site, there's a fully functional static grind movement tutorial. It could easily be implemented in your engine. That is, if you're familiar enough with MMF.