Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shadowoffire123

My last (I hope...) problem with grinding.

9 posts in this topic

Okay, I've added in grinding...but it doesn't exactly work. My character floats off of the rail, and it's just wierd. Here's a pic of what it does:

untitledco1.png

Any ideas? BTW, the red thing on Sonic is the Rail Sensor.s

try to placing the grinding animation lower (on a way that makes the animation touches the grind.)

Well, I can explain a theory to you:

When knux glides, his gravity decreases a little (or half), and stop gliding when falls on the ground. To climb, you must use wall detection (like sensors and x detection, on the character) to detect the right and the left nearest walls. When climbing, the gravity becomes null (allowing you to use up/down to move using vertical speed, or direction) until landing or reaching the top of the edge. It's more detailed on this topic of the old SFGHQ forum:

http://sonicfangaming.proboards67.com/index.cgi?board=fangamehelp&action=display&thread=1128437037

Platform movement is way too old. You should move to static. It's not hard at all.

I am using static for Sonic...Perhaps I SHOULD use static for Knuckles. I was at first only using it because static could have high speeds, but now I know the limitations of platform movement.

Did you already try to make it so when the rail sensor is on a rail and Sonic is not, position him down to it?

Wait a minute... how is Sonic grinding if the sensor is not even touching the rail?

That doesn't make sense, unless you have another invisible sensor doing the job.

Oh and don't use Sonic as the main position object. Use an invisible circular object as the mask (that means the main movement object, the one that will move instead of Sonic) and set the sprite's position always to the same position of the mask.

On the main site, there's a fully functional static grind movement tutorial. It could easily be implemented in your engine. That is, if you're familiar enough with MMF.