A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Origami II

Smidge204

Bored again, so I decided to take another stab at creating some origami flowers.

This time, I improved on the original rose quite a bit, by making each petal a separate piece of paper and impaling them on a tightly rolled paper stick (no glue allowed, of course)

Rose2clipped.jpg

Click for full image

The smaller one on the left is an upgraded version of the original, where the bud (slightly sun faded) is a single piece of pink paper. The one on the right is the latest attempt, with the blossom made of 7 pieces (Not counting central tube and sepal) The blossom is simply stuck into the top of the stem.

Blossom.jpg

I decided not to pleat the leaves this time, since it takes forever and a day to do that. Thorns are added by making small slits in the rolled stem and folding them out.

Total build time: About 2 hours. (Including a half dozen failures)

It's still rather small - about an inch wide - but I was experimenting with the method. The next version I hope to make full size!

Edit: That picture was WAY bigger than I thought. Made clickable instead...

=Smidge=

Bored again, so I decided to take another stab at creating some origami flowers.

This time, I improved on the original rose quite a bit, by making each petal a separate piece of paper and impaling them on a tightly rolled paper stick (no glue allowed, of course)

[qimg]http://smidge204.homeftp.net:84/Origami/Rose2clipped.jpg[/qimg]

Click for full image

The smaller one on the left is an upgraded version of the original, where the bud (slightly sun faded) is a single piece of pink paper. The one on the right is the latest attempt, with the blossom made of 7 pieces (Not counting central tube and sepal) The blossom is simply stuck into the top of the stem.

[qimg]http://smidge204.homeftp.net:84/Origami/Blossom.jpg[/qimg]

I decided not to pleat the leaves this time, since it takes forever and a day to do that. Thorns are added by making small slits in the rolled stem and folding them out.

Total build time: About 2 hours. (Including a half dozen failures)

It's still rather small - about an inch wide - but I was experimenting with the method. The next version I hope to make full size!

Edit: That picture was WAY bigger than I thought. Made clickable instead...

=Smidge=

Wow. That's a really long time! :D

Nice origami there Smidge.

Well, it took a few days, and it's not exactly origami, but I finished my first attempt at a papercraft Chao.

I loaned my good camera to someone for the weekend, so you guys get HAWT CHAO WEBCAM ACTION! (174KB)

For the record, this project was AMAZINGLY difficult. Especially the hands. For that reason, I deliberately skipped the wings. Also, I left the "chin" unattached 'cause it looks awesome... like a Cthulhu Chao. I put about two grams of lead pellets in the feet (with glue to hold it in the toes) so it would stand up. Lastly, It's gray because it was printed on a laser printer and thus no color.

I have named him Melancholy. Melancholy the Chao.

=Smidge=

God knows how you did that good sir but I bow my head to you. I used to do origami but it made me so angry I usually tore up most of the things I made when my deformed frogs and assorted animals couldn't stand.. or sit.

:(

God knows how you did that good sir but I bow my head to you. I used to do origami but it made me so angry I usually tore up most of the things I made when my deformed frogs and assorted animals couldn't stand.. or sit.

:(

They have special origami, for people like us :3

Smidge, I dont know exactly why, but that chao made me shudder. =P Very nice stuff though, the crab is interesting to look at, many many folds. Looks tedius.