A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The "Sonic: Edge of Darkness" Thread

newlogoSEODtransparent.png
OFFICIAL WEBSITE/

PLAYABLE CHARCTERS
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Miles "Tails Prower
  • Knuckles The Echidna

NON-PLAYABLE CHARACTERS

• Metal Sonic
  • Mecha Knuckles
  • Tails Android
  • Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik

STORY
After many a failure and a complete lack of new ideas or schemes, Dr. Robotnik is at the end of his rope. After those events, he has not been seen nor heard from in almost 3 years. Unfortunately for Sonic and the rest, they have no idea what is really going on. While in seclusion, he has built and perfected his newest creation, Darkness Cannon. This machine is used to create artificial black holes in multiple universes, and they can be manipulated to destroy anything he pleases. However, it needs one crucial element to make his creation complete. To have it at full power, he requires the Chaos Emeralds, the Master Emerald, and an undiscovered set of gems. In order to get these elements, he sends out Metal Sonic and Mecha Knuckles. After some contemplation, he resurrects the Tails Doll after being cast aside and untouched for nearly five years, and decides to upgrade him, making him the Tails Android, a complete redesign of his original invention, now being much more destructive and hell bent on destroying Sonic and everything in existence. Sonic gets word of said plans while infiltrating his base just to see what he’s been up to. After hearing him go over his plans with the three Mechas, he goes to inform Tails and Knuckles about what’s going on, and set out to stop his plans and destroy the Mechas once and for all.

GAMEPLAY
The way the game is played is based on the classic Sonic Games on the Genesis and Megadrive. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles have their original abilities from Sonic 3 & Knuckles, with one move added from the Adventure titles. All character’s will also include unlockable moves. Sonic's abilities include Spin Dash, Super Peelout, and Homing Attack. Tails' abilities are Flying, Spin Dash, and the Tail Attack. Knuckles' abilities include Gliding/Wall Climb, Lifting heavy object and throwing them at enemies, and being able to Break through walls and rocks with ease. The player must travel through the level while destroying enemies and collecting items. The levels will have many platforming areas and speed areas. Many different gimmicks are included in the levels, like Hanging Bars, Crane Lifts, and Speed Tunnels to name a few. The highest section of the level is the Fastest but most dangerous, the middle is neutral, and the bottom section is the slowest but easiest. After 3 acts of the level are completed, there comes a boss stage. The difficulty of the level increases with each level you complete. Certain levels have a twist or challenge to make them harder, like water or lava. When your not in the levels, your in the the stage’s specific HUB world or going over the World Map. These HUB worlds while not huge, are big enough to transition from one zone to another.

TITLE SCREEN)
E4jXF4j.png

ZONES
There is a total of 14 zones in the game. 10 normal zones, 2 single act zones, and 2 secret zones.
Shimmering Shores
A beautiful sparkling paradise that was once a popular vacation spot, but is now the pinnacle of fear. Don't let the crystal blue ocean, emerald green grass, lush and vibrant foliage, and shining golden sand fool you, this paradise is definitely not heaven on earth. There are many underwater passages cutting through the shore and ocean, boats and ferries with colorful sails to take you to different islands surrounding the beach, and and various sandy areas. This is an actual screenshot.
widescreen1-6.png
Corrupted Canyon
A scorching, decrepit wasteland which was once a thriving ancient empire, which has now been reduced to dust and rubble. Not only that, but Robotnik is in the process of industrializing the desert to be used as an oil refinery to mine for crude fuel for his machines. One moment you'll be blasting across the scolding hot desert sand, to going through a dark and collapsing remains of a pyramid, then suddenly finding yourself walking across heavy machinery and through fragments of the unfinished factory. Watch out for the smoke stacks and oil pits, not to mention quicksand and landslides.
f9RuXqm.png
Antarctic Amethyst
A crystal white frozen tundra located in the mountains high above Mobius. The ground is cold and slippery and the walls are frozen, slick and covered in ice and frost. You can snowboard down and across the mountains while at the same time creating giant snowballs to defeat your enemies. You will also travel through the icy caverns and on the slippery ice, but try your best not to catch hypothermia from the below freezing temperatures. Not only that, but there are also caverns that have underwater passageways, but staying in them too long will cause you to freeze, so be careful! Screen is a mockup.
widescreen2-5.png
Riverbank Retreat
A large temple in the mountains on the edge of a river. The grey rocky ruins stand tall covered in ivy with various plants growing and grass on top of the ruins from years of being untouched. Due to the fact that the ruins are on the water‘s edge, there are water sections, but they’re not dangerous and sections with water won’t last long. Ride on platforms moving with the various waterfalls that are scattered across the temple, jump across various floating pillars, and watch out for Robotnik’s drill machine, who makes appearances multiple times in the zone, but be careful because it may case the ruins to collapse on you. Screen is a mockup.
widescreen8-5.png
Towering Treetops
You find yourslef in a lush and vibrant forest after you fall from the high mountains above. This forest is full of green foliage, tall tree trunks, and many bright flowers, not to mention the large waterfalls. Even though the forest has pretty much been untouched by Robotnik, there are many robots scattered around to prevent your progress, and there are high trails branching off of the trees to take you through. Long and tall vines take you to other places in the forest and growing mushrooms you can bounce off of. Screen is a mockup.
widescreen6-2.png
Roulette Roadway
A bustling and high-speed metropolis filled with tall buildings, bright neon lights, and rolling streets will have your head spinning the whole time through. With many pinball and slot gimmicks along the way, you'll have the time of your life, but don't get distracted by all the glimmering sights. Running across the rooftops of the many colorful and bright light covered buildings and finding yourself on the high roads under the stars along with high speed transport systems, you'll feel sick by the end of the city. Screen is a mockup.
widescreen4-6.png
Flooded Foundation
A deep and confusing aquarium- like fortress that’s filled to the brim with spikes and other traps. Various plants encased in Glass and bright blue water tubes are all over the place. The biggest threat in this zone isn't the various traps and machines layed by Robotnik, but rather the water. Due to Sonic and Knuckles inability to swim, you can only be submerged for so long before you run out of breath. Tails can swim, but that still won't be enough to survive. There are many random currents that propel through the stage, water tubes, and high- pressure windows that may not live up to their name... Screen is a mockup.
widescreen5-2.png
Malicious Mineshaft
A dark and dank grotto covered with rock and various red glowing crystals that are scattered all over the place. While inside the cavern, you’ll run across the metal tracks that are above the redish- brown rocks underneath. There are batbots and all sorts of cave critters that inhabit the area. Not only that, but also mine carts are in various places, an the player can utilize them in order to progress with the level. While some rocks are easily breakable, some walls are unbreakable but are strapped with bombs, and the player must set off a switch to detinate the bombs and get on with the level. Not only that, but Robotnik can set off bombs that cause certain rocks to collapse on you, so be careful!
Vehement Volcano
As heat begins to make you sweat while the temperatures reach above 1000 degrees, you find yourself inside the core of a large amount of towering volcanoes. Speeding outside of the volcano on the hot rock, then to find yourself inside the largest volcano. Rivers of molten rock and bubbling lava pits running through the blackened landscape. Not only that, but fire- geysers, collapsing rock trails, burning rain, and poisonous sulfuric will make this zone a living nightmare. Progression requires the use of luminous pink crystals in the rock when in the volcano, and using magma tubes to progress throughout the level and escape the sweltering heat. Screen is a mockup.
widescreen7-3.png
Hurricane Heights
You realize that the volcano is actually a hidden launch base for Robotnik, and once you escape from the volcano, you see hundreds of airships coming from the vents of the volcanoes. You get picked up by the Tornado and now you're chasing after Robotnik's many airships. While you're chasing the ships, you must destroy enemies by either jumping on them with the character that's riding, or shoot enemies with the character that’s driving the plane, while avoiding other airborne obstacles in your way.
Levitated Leviathan
After you've chased down Robotnik's ships, you land the Tornado and take off in pursuit or Robotnik and the Three Mechas to end this madness. You now are blasting through Robotnik’s armada of heavily- armed battleships flying through the stratosphere. Hopping from one airship to another and avoiding cannons and airships dropping bombs. You can also use floor fans to propel yourself upwards to higher places.
Supernova Satellite
After flying across the many airships, the sky gets darker and the oxygen leaves from the atmosphere. You see a dark satellite in the far distance. Robotnik’s entire fleets of ships are docking in the satellite. You realize that’s where Robotnik is hiding. Robotnik is really now screwing around this time, setting up switches that shift the gravity of the fortress, hologram bridges that disappear after a period of time, and falling meteors while outside of the ship while running outside of the vessel. Be careful, the enemies are far more deadly than what you're used to, so caution is a must.
Armageddon Angel.
B.L.A.C.K.

CREDITS
PROJECT LEADER

• Delta Hedgehog

GRAPHICS

• Delta Hedgehog
  • Caleb
  • BlazefireLP
  • The Mystical Forest Zone Act: 4
  • Various People Who Uploaded Content to SFGHQ
  • Gsuki
  • Gamernerd Advance
  • Phoebius
  • Overbound
  • Gardow
  • Techokami
  • Chronic
  • SEGA
  • Vic Tokai

PROGRAMMING

• SuperBlizHedgehog
  • Overbound

MUSIC

• General Offensive!
  • StereoPixel
  • SEGA
Edited by Delta Hedgehog
  • Like 1

It's at least a good thing when the thing my main criticism with your fan game is the fact you have a normal "green hill" level as the first level. Sonic 2 Game Gear had Underground Zone as its first zone, Advance 3 has Route 99 as its first, and Sonic 4 Episode 2 has Sylvania Castle as its first zone. When games deviate from the norm, it can easily bring out more creative results.

Graphic wise, the yellow rocks on the desert level need more contrast. The HUD itself could use some contrast. The grey in the letters is weird when everything else uses a solid shade of black.

Thanks Sparks. If there's ever a sequel to thi game (God knows only time will tell), I don't plan on having the first level be a "tropical" level. Regarding the bricks, they were colored to look more... desert-y or sandish so to speak. Took me a long ass time to recolor in Paint, but I'll see what I can do.

By the way Music is at 90%

I have Music for all stages including a Special Stage,

Title Screen and Options Screens,

Regular Boss Fights,

Mecha Knuckles and Mecha Tails Bosses,

Mecha Sonic's Boss,

Speed up and Invincible Theme's,

Final boss Theme.

I may work on some cutscene music but the game needs to come a long way before that.

You will have to send me some info on the D.A.R.K.N.E.S.S.Stage..

And P.S My official musician name now is StereoPixel.

Problems I have.

The palm tree leaves look like flat, paper with a bunch of color in them and don't match the shading style on the trunk, which is from what I see another piece from Ristar.

With the exception of the Chaotix Caterkiller no enemy fits the zone theme at all.

Nothing in the city zone matches and looks cheaply put together.

The Planet Freon tile set, again.

The rock backgrounds for the first two zones look way too similar.

The rock background for the desert looks all weird with its design just cutting off into blank color.

Too many zone names have the letter "S".

The level themes themselves are too cliche.

Sorry...

Things I don't have a problem with.

Tropical Island as the first level.

To me it's all good.

The HUD.

I have no problem with it.

To address the problems you have...

- The palmtree leaves are still WIP.

- I'm in the process of creating original/remixed/custom badniks, the enemies in the mockups are only for show. BTW, the Mozzietron 2 (Bug- like orange badnik) was originally in Palmtree Panic.

- Pretty much all the level tiles in Stardust Stadium are in the process of being changed and or edited to look better.

- I like Planet Freon's tiles so... :P

- I only used the mountains from Palmtree Panic past in DDZ because I needed another background piece. I do plan on making original cliffs and stuff for DDZ. The desert floor in the background is originally from the game Quackshot.

- Only 3 of the 8 zones have S, so that's not that much.

- Most fangames will have the same level cliches. I wanted to use the usual, while using the ones I enjoy the most. I have a love for snow, volcanic, and Death Egg esque zones.

I created this new thread to avoid spamming it with graphics, but damn it this has been bugging me. I noticed Sonic was much taller than Knuckles' 32X sprite by about 5 pixels. I shrunk down Sonic to the height of the root sprite (Sonic 2), and he looks really short, fat, and stocky, which I'm trying to avoid. The large head isn't helping either. Is it just me or what?

comparison.png

That actually looks really good. We're not quite sure which engine to use though. We may use that, CrypticSailor's Sonic 3 engine, try to rebuild the Dash engine (As a last resort), use Sonic Worlds (As a VEEERY last resort), or maybe even the Aesthete engine (if it's even been released :P).