A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

Anyway, does anyone know how I might be able to evenly space objects along the X axis? I have four objects with ID numbers ranging from 0 to 3, and I want to sandwich them in between two coordinates while keeping them evenly spaced.

I'm not sure whether I understand your problem well, but the way i understand it, it seems pretty basic. If you want to space your n items evenly between coordinates xmin and xmax, and if each item has the same width w, then the space between two items (or between an item and the edge) should be:

s = ((xmax - xmin) - (w * n)) / (n + 1)

So you should set the X coordinate of each item like this:

x(i) = (xmin + s + (w / 2)) + (i * (s + w))

assuming the coordinate of each item corresponds to its center.

Oh wow, I leave the loop for a bit and when I come back...

Anyway, Just saw the Dragon Valley vid and It looks amazing. Especially Act 2's background. Also, Gameplay looks pretty good, only thing that may be a problem would be trying to attack enemies at high speeds but that neither here nor there. Good spin to the traditional Sonic Style Gameplay.

Core - Thanks! I tried it out and it works with a bit of tweaking. ^_^

Chaos - Thanks! As for attacking at high speeds, it can be difficult if you're not good at timing things, which is why I try to place enemies in areas where I know the player will be moving slow enough (or where they have enough time to stop, go back and start attacking before the enemy begins their attack pattern).

The Travelsverse? Is that some sort of fanfic? If so, then by all means. ^^

It's about high time I uploaded another video, since quite a few things have changed since the last one. I recorded a short playthrough of about 50% of Relic Maze a couple weeks ago for my composers (so they could draw inspiration from it), so I'll see if I can get around to uploading it at some point.

The Travelsverse? Is that some sort of fanfic? If so, then by all means. ^^

Eh, more a Fan'Verse. S:Cybernetic Outbreak was recently brought into it because every Sonic game is canon (I've even got Sonic's Schoolhouse merged somewhere in there =P) and Varion wanted more freedom then the SEGASonic Universe had. It's a more dark and realistic take on everything in there (basically all playable character's series in the Super Smash Brothers games have takes place somewhere in it) with science fueling everything and an entire history ready, just need to get the stories down :L

It's about high time I uploaded another video, since quite a few things have changed since the last one. I recorded a short playthrough of about 50% of Relic Maze a couple weeks ago for my composers (so they could draw inspiration from it), so I'll see if I can get around to uploading it at some point.

Sweet, I'm sure we're all looking forward to it :3

sl_run1.gif ------> sl_run2.gif

I figured it was about time I swapped her (medium speed) running animation to something that's less obviously Sonic-based. GIF quality's not perfect, but you get the idea.

In this case, I should prolly record a fresh video of Relic Maze so you can see what it looks like with her hair extensions.

[qimg]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/Strife1/sl_run1.gif[/qimg] ------> [qimg]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/Strife1/sl_run2.gif[/qimg]

I figured it was about time I swapped her (medium speed) running animation to something that's less obviously Sonic-based. GIF quality's not perfect, but you get the idea.

In this case, I should prolly record a fresh video of Relic Maze so you can see what it looks like with her hair extensions.

I actually like the Sonic based thing (technically it's a cartoon thing, not something Sonic invented). It keeps the pseudo-Sonic feel of the character.

Wow, DNL, you're quite the ninja. Thanks! ^^

Yeah, it's difficult to tell which one is more suitable. It might help seeing it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtQOY0R47LY

This shows about half of Relic Maze Act 1, along with some of the changes that have taken place since the last video. Of particular note is the new shield system; Collecting 5 of the keystones that robots drop will reward you with a specific type of shield, depending on the color keystone you have the most of. There are five different shields: Wood (the pink rose one), Earth, Water, Fire, and Metal.

Guest Mr Lange

The gif animation you have right there shows the arm swing is cycling with the legs. This is not a correct running animation. The arm swings should be opposite of the leg movement. You already did this correctly in the other running sprites so I'm kind of confused as to how you made that mistake.

I am speechless. As if the prEvious video wasnt good enough and then this looks so much better again. Strife you are good at this man, and im not just talking about regular good but i think you would belong in the gaming biz with the pros because that aint no ordinary game dude.

Good look with the rest

The gif animation you have right there shows the arm swing is cycling with the legs. This is not a correct running animation. The arm swings should be opposite of the leg movement. You already did this correctly in the other running sprites so I'm kind of confused as to how you made that mistake.

D'oh! I noticed that myself after I uploaded it. In any case, I fixed it for the video.

Jwiwo - I'm hoping that this game serves as solid portfolio work, at the least. Thanks a bunch! :D

Glad you think so. ^^ I can definitely use this in my portfolio, so long as I credit the other people who worked on the game (namely, the character designer, my two composers, my sound designer and the folks who built the original Worlds engine).

The folks who run NGIN contacted me today, and they're interested in trying out the game themselves to see if it's worthy for the event! They asked if I could provide a playable demo, and then it dawned on me that I completely forgot to send it to you guys who volunteered. <.<;; I told them that it would take one or two days as long as they don't mind bugs, and they said they're cool with it.

So, here's the new plan as far as closed testing goes: I'll wait on starting it until I receive word about whether or not I'm invited to NGIN. I'll start testing whether I'm accepted or not, since that will only affect whether it's being prepared for NGIN or SAGE.

will there be any other things you can do with crystals like buy new skills

Sortof. I hope to make a small shop at some point where you can use crystals to buy powerups and such before the next stage. ^^

I really need to get around to designing a website for the game. xD; I would want it to be pretty basic, like a SAGE booth, and I'd also like to include a feature where people who are interested in the project can submit their e-mail address, and I would send out mass e-mails during important updates.

Thing is, I'm not entirely confident that my drawing style is suitable for the task, so I'm definitely looking for an artist/designer to help me out. If not, I could probably get by with something basic, but it won't look as good.

True. I guess my concern isn't so much about doing it well as it is about doing it fairly quick. I would want to use multiple images of the main characters, and it takes me much longer to draw a full-sized static image than it does to draw an entire animation for a sprite. F'course, I could start with what I have and then add more graphics later on.