A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

Time for an art dump. ^_^

serpentine.png

Larger concept art of the character at the beginning of the video I posted. One of the easier bosses.

fpocs.png

Three more character designs - two heroes and one villainess.

fplogo.png

A logo idea I had earlier today. Could use a bit of polish, but I think the font works pretty well.

The logo looks pretty neat.

If I may suggest something...

E9VzK.png

I would suggest this. A small gradient on the "planet" going to a light-purple color, and edit the "P" ending on the top of it and the thickness of the line on the planet to give the idea of it blending together. Also add the same "blue shadow" on the planet.

Sorry about the bad editing, made on paint. :V

Also for the snake-boss, a lil bit of texture on it wouldn't be bad, you know to give the impression of snake' skins.

Thanks! ^_^ It was partly inspired by the NiGHTS logo.

Dragon Valley Act 2 is almost done; I just need to make sure it's long enough and then program the boss fight. I can't wait to start working on the next zone, Relic Maze, because a lot of the gimmick and enemy ideas I had for DV were scrapped because I think they'd fit much better in RM. xD

On a personal note, I'm fascinated by how much a video game stage can come to life when you allow non-player entities to interact with the environment in a similar way as the player. While working on DV, I had the random idea of allowing enemies to collect crystals and rings like the player can, after which they drop them when they're destroyed. Enemies can now also break item monitors and interact with specific gimmicks such as springs and water.

I think this opens up the door to a whole new set of interesting challenges for the player - Imagine running into an enemy that immediately busts open a shield monitor behind them before attacking, or worse yet, an invincibility monitor. xD

*reads above post* Now I find myself impatiently awating updates on this project... Dammnit Strife! Look what you've done.

I really like the little touch you said you added to the enemies. Not to sound like a bitter but do you mind if I play around with the idea for one of my projects?

On a personal note, I'm fascinated by how much a video game stage can come to life when you allow non-player entities to interact with the environment in a similar way as the player. While working on DV, I had the random idea of allowing enemies to collect crystals and rings like the player can, after which they drop them when they're destroyed. Enemies can now also break item monitors and interact with specific gimmicks such as springs and water.

I think this opens up the door to a whole new set of interesting challenges for the player - Imagine running into an enemy that immediately busts open a shield monitor behind them before attacking, or worse yet, an invincibility monitor. xD

Darn it, you beat me to it! Oh well. I was thinking something like that for an inde game we [K-Tech studios] was working on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Dragon Valley's boss pretty much finished, aside from bug fixes. I don't know if it's my perfectionism kicking into high gear, but I'm really not satisfied with the way he turned out. He just feels like more of a chore to fight than anything because of how much the player needs to rely on their momentum in order to reach him, which is something I don't count on the player mastering until the later stages of the game.

350tir6.png

The boss currently flip-flops between the upper platform and the ground, and the player must build up their momentum a bit in order to reach the top level of the arena. I thought it was a pretty novel idea, but in practice, it's not as fun as I had hoped.

What I could do, actually, is remove the center piece entirely so that the player never needs to leave ground level in order to attack the boss. Then I could give the boss some sort of weakness that involves building up enough momentum to run up the wall and across the ceiling, so that players who do try it can potentially destroy him in a shorter amount of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Valley is now complete. ^_^ One zone down, four more to go.

Next up is Relic Maze. I've been whittling away at Act 1's graphics.

sltest2.png

I really want to get some tall trees into that background to contrast with the sunset, and to make it feel less like DV's background. I haven't made any gimicks yet, but I know exactly what I want to build; A lot of my scrapped ideas for DV will be used here.

Thanks. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1DkC6RQAQ

New beta video of Dragon Valley. This is a full playthrough with both acts. The only thing that's left to do, really, is replace the Robotnik signpost.

The video also shows something odd that happens when I push blocks/logs while the game is lagging - for some reason, pushable objects move far slower than they should during lag, but if there's no lag, they move just fine (1 pixel per frame). I honestly have no idea why it's doing this unless it has something to do with the Value-Add object, but in any case, it's quite bothersome and could potentially mess up speedruns.

Thanks everyone! =D Good to know that this game is going in the right direction.

How did the transition to Act 2 work? Is it all one big level map or does it actually load the next level?

Each zone is composed of 3 frames. The middle frame contains both the end of Act 1 and the beginning of Act 2, such that when the boss is defeated, the gameplay picks up right after the fight ala Sonic 3. The downside is that I have to copy and paste code to more frames than normal, but I think it's a fair trade in order to keep the game running smoothly.

Holy $hi!... wow...

Reeaally amazing work strife.

I love how the background for act 2 is distinct to act 1's with the sea surrounded with green. What would be neat is if the water animated a little bit. I was kind of imagining it unconsiously while watching the video.

I loved that explosion effect at the boss. Made the whole thing million times more epic. That is some professional work there strife.

I want this:thumbup: