A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Freedom Planet (v. 1.4)

Strife

https://twitter.com/JoshJDubya/status/294389769285292033 Please retweet this, let's get Jesse Cox to feature it on YouTube! Strife was excited about the idea of getting him to feature the game, so here we are.

I'm pretty pumped about the game, pledged $50 on kickstarter to get the art book as well as beta/alpha access. This is the most excited I've been for a game in a long time.

I Noticed a few bugs/quirks last time I was playing.

First; sometimes when the mid-bosses (snake thing) death animation plays and its head lands, part of its head is covered up by the foreground. Basically the tunnels that normally cover the boss up when it's attacking and such, are drawn on top of him.

I would double check the layering of the boss and tunnel tiles/objects to make sure the boss is drawn on the top layer when he takes the hit.

Secondly; the bike seems to be able to fly into a wall, and then ride up the wall into a 90 degree ceiling and continue along the ceiling as if this is a normal thing for bikes to do.

Third; I knocked down a log with Carol, and pounced as it was falling. I went through the log whilst pouncing.

The could be probably be fixed by making it so carol cant pounce after knocking into a log.

Hi

I really just came here to share a bit of feedback and give my 2 cents since all of your succes strife. First and foremost, again congratulations and good luck in achieving your goals. You went from simply practicing your hobby to something serious your getting paid for. I think many game lovers would dream of such a thing and you have definitely become an inspiration to me

Anyway strife, I think mechanics, lvl design and bossbattle wise you got things all figured out taking from the demo. I mean yea executing things may not be that easy but i'm sure you will be figuring it out with help. And I think this would have been doable without kickstarters as well.

I think where the money part could really help is in the game's presentation. But as you said keep it within the "possibilities". If it isn't possible than i'll perfecly understand. But if it is possible strife, and i believe you would love to see your game look even more apealing, than i would love to see some visual upgrade.

Good luck again strife, im vouching for ya

Djawed - Thanks! We are definitely going to look into hiring one or two extra pixel artists to help us improve the look of the game. We've gotten a lot of nice applications so far, so what I think I'll do is present the best ones to our Kickstarter backers, since it's ultimately their money we'll be spending to hire someone. :3

I've been putting some more work into the new playable characters, as promised in our Kickstarter. I figured that I should get them implemented in some form as soon as possible so that it'll be less of a headache later on.

Milla

116lunt.png

In addition to her barrier move, Milla can now pick up item boxes in a manner similar to Super Mario Bros 2 and throw them at enemies for extra damage. If she's not standing on an item box, holding the Attack button will allow her to summon her own item block to throw. Her barrier attack has been shifted to the Special button.

Spade

2u8chtg.png

He's functionally complete now, although he's still missing a few animations. His attacks have the farthest range of any character, and his flash jump move lets him pass through things without taking damage. With this move he can cross through lava falls, laser barriers, and other hazards that none of the other characters can.

Torque

2j26vwj.png

It's too much work trying to hide who this guy is, as if it wasn't obvious enough already. xD Anyway, his gameplay is drastically different from the other characters and feels more like a run-and-gun shooter like Gunstar Heroes or Metal Slug. His weapon has two "slots" that keystones can be inserted to, and depending on the combination of elements, the bullets gain new properties such as increased speed, reflective shots, explosive rounds, etc, in addition to a new appearance.

He's also the slowest character and has the lowest jump, so he'll be confined to the lower routes of each stage. He'd probably have some kind of land mine he could use to blow up solid walls that other characters can't break through. Balancing his gameplay is going to be a challenge; At the moment he feels really out-of-place since the stages are designed specifically with the faster characters in mind. I might need to give him his own alternate pathways that have a much higher density of enemies than usual.

For the sake of level design, Lilac is my #1 priority, and I will build the stages specifically with her gameplay in mind first. Here's what my order of operations would be:

- Build and test the stage with Lilac first

- Add jump pads/alternate routes for Carol where necessary

- Ensure there is an abundance of item boxes for Milla and make sure she can clear the stage

- Wait until all stages are complete before taking Spade and Torque into account

- Add Spade-only barriers where necessary (taking care to make them feel like a natural part of the stage)

- Add Torque-only barriers where necessary

Your method for level designing as worked pretty well so far. I'm pretty impressed by the diversity in game play this game has. Not a lot of games will give you this kind of variety when it comes to a player's experience when it comes to playing as different characters. Bravo sir.

I had fun in the demo and I can't wait until the full game comes out next year. I'll do a definite LP on that for my Youtube channel.

Update:

Oh and another thing for you Strife,

ojdrq0.png

An attempted pix of Lilac in my style~ Hope you likie!

• 1 month later...

I was seeing the Freedom Planet video on Steam. So, it seems that its franticness has gotten me.

For what I've seen, the game presents some action frenzy that even Sonic on the Genesis wouldn't be capable of.

So, let me say that I am impressed at what this game is and I am rooting for its success.

Like I told you on DA. I love that new cover art. It's very professional looking & just plain cute. I love cute & cool stuff so that's a + in my book.

This game has to be one of the games I look forward to most lately in my life. Other games besides Sonic rarely interest me anymore nowadays. So a game that has a nice Sonic vibe to it is wonderful imo. But it does not over do it which is probably a good thing. I hope it keeps that small Sonic vibe & similar art style in your future games if you decide to make more of this series later on.

PS: And it's great to see cool female main characters for once. It's something personally I wish more people would try to do.

• 1 month later...

Late time coming, but, thanks!

Since our thread on Retro has long since been moved to the General Gaming section and is therefore no longer viewable to the public, I'll start posting here again. You can, of course, always get our most recent updates on our official forums as well: http://fp.boards.net/

You may have spotted this on our YouTube channel already, but we've got a sneak peek at Fortune Night's boss, Serpentine, and one of his various robotic death machines. Needless to say, as the game progresses the boss battles are going to ramp up in scale and intensity.

Video Link

In some cases, like this fight, the other player characters will jump in to help you heal or dish out damage to the boss. It's only in special instances, though; You'll be on your own for most of them.

We are also hard at work on revamping the game's graphics, and our pixel artists Matwek and Argyle are doing a great job!

iy3ktd.png

Carol is the first character who's getting a sprite makeover. Lilac is next, and once we've touched up all of the sprites in Dragon Valley, we should have a new public demo ready.

For a moment I had almost wondered if you had left this topic forever since I had not seen you reply on this topic in ages~ :P

Anyways. looking great dude. I love how that battle is looking. nice & epic, + really well animated. good job.

This game probably shows how far a MMF game can go far as visuals, which is pretty great I'd say. It's almost a shame I won't be using it for my own games. But my games need something that can handle big sprites. lucky my close friend who wants to work on games with me is a programer and is trying to create our own engine...

Anyways keep-up the good work man. still looking forward to the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks! :D

You can grab both a Windows and Mac version on the website: http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/

My current agenda is what the heck to do about rolling being removed. Quite a few people miss it while others think the game is fine without it. I'll probably give it back to Lilac as an exclusive move for her, while Carol will have to make due with the motorcycle.

My current agenda is what the heck to do about rolling being removed. Quite a few people miss it while others think the game is fine without it. I'll probably give it back to Lilac as an exclusive move for her, while Carol will have to make due with the motorcycle.

Now that you mention it, Lilac doing the cyclone on the ground is a pretty good substitute for hitting enemies quickly, especially with the fast energy regen. You should at least let Carol's wild kicks break blocks, though. She was affected more by the loss of the roll, so at least that could compensate some.

Great job on the graphic updates, by the way!